Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Does anybody know the new Breville BCG800 (Smart Grinder)?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Does anybody...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 12 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue Mar 15, 2011, 12:41pm
Subject: Re: Does anybody know the new Breville BCG800 (Smart Grinder)?

Looking straight down into grind container ...

CoffeeRoastersClub: 10.gif
(Click for larger image)

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Tue Mar 15, 2011, 12:42pm

Hopper with lid attached (lid has nice seal on it) ...

CoffeeRoastersClub: 11.gif
(Click for larger image)

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Tue Mar 15, 2011, 12:43pm

Inside of hopper showing hopper lock device (all you do is push hopper on to top of breville, then turn lock shown to lock in place) ...

CoffeeRoastersClub: 12.gif
(Click for larger image)

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Tue Mar 15, 2011, 12:43pm

Top down shot of burrs ...

CoffeeRoastersClub: 13.gif
(Click for larger image)

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Tue Mar 15, 2011, 12:44pm

Best side shot of burrs I could get ...

Tally-ho,

Len

CoffeeRoastersClub: 14.gif
(Click for larger image)

canon

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Faema Legend
Grinder: Monolith, Compak K10 Fresh,
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Tue Mar 15, 2011, 4:03pm

Nice grinder.  I have had mine for a week and it has worked just like I wanted it to.  It is easy to set, easy to use and unlike the Baratza Vario there is no mess.  Once I got the grind set for drip it stays there. THere are no sliders to come loose and move around at will.   It makes a bit of noise but not objectionable.  The Baratza Vario lasted three days in the kitchen so the Breville is a keeper.  I will never use it for espresso so this feature is not important.  The local Surlatable store had the Breville in stock and honored the 20% off Bed Bath and Beyond coupon.  

It is what it is...a very well constructed, attractive and functional stainless steel (very little plastic) low volume grinder at a very attractive price.  It fit my needs and time will tell if it is as good as it looks.  

Bob
 View Profile Link to this post
bluehaze

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Isomac Rituale
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue Mar 15, 2011, 4:21pm

Burrs are identical to the Burrs on the BES860 with the exception the bottom burr doesn't require the nut on top to hold it in place on the BES860, Same grind amount dial, same functions all around the grind adjustment knob even feels exactly the same as the grind adjustment on the BES860. Grind looks identical and is a bit warm to the touch just like on the BES860. If you've ever used both grinders it will become readily apparent that the mechanics of both grinders are essentially exactly the same just one is modified to be a standalone. Anyone who feels diiferently I suggest head to a Williams Sonoma and ask for a demo of both machines then come back and tell me they are not the same :)

I suspect the reason the bottom burr was modified to be held in place with a nut on top was so espresso users could easily add the shims that are suspiciously and conveniently available right from the get go to modify the machine for espresso grind. The range of adjustability is just not there like it is on the Vario.

It is a good grinder for the money no doubt in my mind but after playing with one firsthand I can assure you the grind that comes out of this machine is the exact same as the grind that comes out of the BES860. The Vario is a better grinder no doubt, but if your on a budget this thing is hard to beat for all the features you get, I would take this over a Rocky any day just due to the timed dosing and because I would only be using it as an espresso grinder anyway and the grind quality is very similiar, they both do clump alot though. The only questionable factor for me would be how long the machine would last.

Cheers everyone!
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Tue Mar 15, 2011, 4:40pm

canon Said:

Nice grinder.  I have had mine for a week and it has worked just like I wanted it to.  It is easy to set, easy to use and unlike the Baratza Vario there is no mess.  Once I got the grind set for drip it stays there. THere are no sliders to come loose and move around at will.   It makes a bit of noise but not objectionable.  The Baratza Vario lasted three days in the kitchen so the Breville is a keeper.  I will never use it for espresso so this feature is not important.  The local Surlatable store had the Breville in stock and honored the 20% off Bed Bath and Beyond coupon.  

It is what it is...a very well constructed, attractive and functional stainless steel (very little plastic) low volume grinder at a very attractive price.  It fit my needs and time will tell if it is as good as it looks.  

Bob

Posted March 15, 2011 link

I was also very impressed with the no mess, even after multiple grinds.  I have not tried the espresso grind yet; however I understand that if it does not grind as fine as I desire that there is that shim kit I can get from Breville.  I did not fine the noise objectionable at all; in fact it was quieter than my zass hand grinder, and alot quieter than my Krups superauto.

Len

JVBorella
JVBorella
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Tue Mar 15, 2011, 6:58pm

I would definitely give the Vario the nod in the espresso range but I think the Breville is a better brew grinder & features wise there is no comparison.

John
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Tue Mar 15, 2011, 8:39pm

JVBorella Said:

I would definitely give the Vario the nod in the espresso range but I think the Breville is a better brew grinder & features wise there is no comparison.

Posted March 15, 2011 link

Before or after the breville supplied espresso shim is applied to the grinder?

Len

showing page 12 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Does anybody...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.349270105362)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+