Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Bodum Bistro burr grinder MOD for fine/espresso
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Bodum Bistro...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
PdM

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 11:04pm
Subject: Re: Bodum Bistro burr grinder MOD for fine/espresso

Hi Lilprof87.
I didn't take pictures unfortunately and don't have it stripped inf ront of me, but you will see when you've disassembled the housing, there are 3 screws holding the motor assembly on three little pedestals with rubber mounts. Remove these and pull the assembly up and off the pedestals. After this, you will see that the metal plate is attached to the plastic with some more screws. Inside is the gearbox. When you remove these screws, the gearbox will come apart. Inside the gearbox will be a bunch of gears (you'll see they can only go in one way, but probably won't come apart so don't worry too much about this.)
With this you'll find a round plate with 6 (or 8, cant remember), holes in it, which fits on a plastic housing. The plastic housing has holes with springs in them and the ball bearings. Once you see it, it will be obvious how it works.

If you are really nervous about mechanics, it might seem daunting, but once you see the inside and how it works, it's actually quite simple and assembling is not very difficult. In fact disassembling and assembling the gearbox is much easier than taking the grinder apart to do the initial mod!

Regarding shimming the burr - with the gearbox now anyway stripped, I found it easier to unscrew the bottom burr off of its shaft (it has right hand thread and takes quite a bit of power to loosen it. You'll need 2 people to do this properly). This way you can insert the shaft back into its place from the bottom, and then have an easier job in just placing the plastic disc (with the fins which pushes the ground coffee, not sure what you call it), then the shims and then just screwing the burr back.

I've since taken the grinder apart numerous times to get everything just right and can see it doesn't like it (they used panel wire which is hard and doesn't like to be moved about that much, the earth wire is just soldered to the motor winding wire, which tends to break off {I tend to loosen it and re-solder when assembling}, and frustrations like that). So perhaps decide what you want and how fine you want to go, do the mod twice to fine tune and leave it there.

This mod is the more difficult route, but it keeps you from permanently modifications and you can set it as far as you like.
I bought a Gaggia MDF grinder recently and decided to space my Bodum more to see how far it would go (went to about 1.4mm spacer). I ended up with the Bodum now being able to grind even to where the MDF can go (I can even do a Turkish grind, although I don't do it often as I don't know how long it will last doing this....).
But the grind is extremely consistent, to the point of surprise.

If I look at the design of the Bodum (the plastic gears, lack of permanent lubrication on them, etc), I don't think it was designed to work very hard and to last very long, but for the money I paid ($80), and for the value I'm getting after the mod, I think it's an awesome little gadget.
 View Profile Link to this post
lilprof87

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Fri May 3, 2013, 8:03am

Thank you for the reply! Now the ultimate question... What size shim (mm wise) should i use for espresso? Using a 0.8 or 0.9mm shim would create consistent, fine grind for espresso without stressing the motor/gears to a point of default? Should I go finer? Honestly, i would rather have a grinder to do what I want it to do and fail than to have a grinder that will work for years and years without doing what I need it to do. I bought the Bodum because it was inexpensive but since I am now getting into espresso the future tells me that I will need to buy a better grinder. So, if this works, I can have a great grinder for some time until it dies!

As for the re-soldering part? Never tried that... Is that a necessary part?

So, with that being said... Should I do the Mod this way or just cut it like the others?

Any advice would be helpful! Planning to attempt this mod over the weekend.

Dave
PdM

Posted Sun May 5, 2013, 12:12am

Hi Dave,
That's difficult to say as I've found them to vary between machines. I think that is one of the reasons why these grinders were discontinued. On its finest (when still standard) mine could grind for moka, maybe even a bit coarse the that. In the end I used a 1.4mm spacer (up from 0.8), but now grind espresso two dots before its finest. I'm not sure whether my burrs will touch at its finest (did go there once but then it grinds the beans to dust and I anyway can't remember whether I heard them touching) , but I was tired of stripping and assembling a hundred times because I was afraid they would touch, so I shimmed it more than I originally wanted to and just adjusted it to where necessary.

Hopes this helps and sorry for only replying now :-)
lilprof87

Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 9:15am

Hey guys!

Since I only used my grinder, thus far, for french press and pour overs I never had the need to do espresso. But, I finally received my Mypressi and it's WONDERFUL! Feeling adventurous, I tried my Bistro at the espresso setting in my Mypressi (with the standard basket) and it actually was good. 18g of coffee, tamp, everything turned out a double shot at 26, 23, and 22 seconds. Makes me feel like I am behind the bar again!

I do have the newest version of the Bistro (Purchased within the year) and unsure if slight changes were made after the product was discontinued.  With all of this being said, I would like a touch more control over my grinder. I hate knowing I can't go finer, but on the other side, I only want a notch or 2 finer so that I still have control over coarse grinds  as well as espresso grinds. Thus, I don't want to go through the MOD and make my grinder, overall, too fine since my grind right now is pretty close to what I want.  

Should I go through the MOD and just shim up, maybe, 0.4mm or would  you be content with what you have???
lilprof87

Posted Mon May 13, 2013, 10:54am

Any advice on this??? Do I need to cut anything besides the first plastic cut? Did the MOD work after completion???
lilprof87

Posted Sun May 19, 2013, 3:29pm

So, I broke my grinder. Not the the point where it's not fixable, but I can't do anything without your help. The brown wire that attaches to the top of the burrs is still attached along with the orange wire, but I am not sure where the other side of the brown wire needs to attach.  So, please help! Are there internal displays on the internet????
lilprof87

Posted Sun May 19, 2013, 3:42pm

PdM Said:

Hey Guys,

I found another way to modify this grinder without having to cut anything, and it is also reversible should you at some point wish to get the grinder back to its original form.
The other problem with adjusting the grinder so it turns further / pushes the burr further down, is it comes to a stop against the solid mount around the bottom burr, but does not grind fine enough by the time it gets there and adjusting it so it can turn further won't help.

My way, instead of adjusting the top burr to move further down, I adjust the bottom burr up and leave the rest of the machine standard.

After stripping it as per your posts, also remove the part with the motor from its stand off's.
Loosen the nut at the bottom which holds the bottom burr in the gearbox key. NOTE: it's right-hand thread. Also you need to hold the blades - turning the nut against the gearbox can break the gears.

After this is done, remove the bottom burr. You can  now shim the burr up by placing a shim between the bottom of the burr and the plastic spacer beneath it. (use shim stock, or perhaps a copper washer). You will also need to remove one of the washers where the nut tightens as the shaft is no in effect shorter. Take out a flat washer, don't remove the spring washer.
assembled the burr, put the top burr in place and first turn the motor with your hand to make sure the burrs are not touching. If the are, put in a thinner shim.

I shimmed it up 0.8mm (considering going to 0.9m or 1mm just to see how far it will go), but my grind is now very fine and extremely consistent.

Hope it helps.

Posted July 16, 2012 link

Hey, if you get this, I could use your help. The brown wire snapped off and Im not sure where to re-attach it. Im thinking I am just going to replace the entire wire from the top of the burrs, i think, down the the power supply. But, honestly, I'm not sure where that attaches too... HELP!
PdM

Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 2:38am

Hi, sorry for the delay, hectic week.
I would have to disassemble and confirm where that wire goes. But it's no biggy. Don't worry too much.
So you cannot see any obvious place it should go on the main switch or at the motor?
lilprof87

Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 8:11am

I know it was supposed to go to the main switch.  I found a local guitar shop to solder the wire back into place. Reassembled the unit, turned it on, worked great for about 2 seconds and then shut off. The light is still illuminated on the on/off switch, but if I press the small red button to engage the grinder nothing happens... Thought?

It was worth a try to do the mod. I got the grinder for pretty cheap... So, if I did something wrong i'll live with it.
PdM

Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 12:13am

I found the wiring and soldering on the Bodum to be quite poor, so it's possible that another wire has also come off. I also had to repair a few.
There is a black wire attaching to the motor windings' wire close to the motor, which easily breaks off when working on the grinder. Check if it's still connected.
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Bodum Bistro...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.247977018356)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+