Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Bodum Bistro burr grinder MOD for fine/espresso
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Bodum Bistro...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
Author Messages
Mikespresso

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 2:08am
Subject: Re: Bodum Bistro burr grinder MOD for fine/espresso

@Pdm

You seem to have a very good idea of the internal wiring of the machine. In my poor attempt to fix the machine, I have unfortunately dislodged the red wire inside ( which connects the press button on top to something below) as a result of which the motor has stopped working. Could you please tell me where exactly that wire should go. Your help us truly appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
PdM

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Nov 2, 2013, 8:26am

Hi Mikespresso.
Sounds like you're not having fun!
But I am very sorry to say that I cannot remember where that wire goes, I haven't had my grinder open in quite a while.
I assume you have checked to see if you can find the place it fits - but have you checked on the PC board? Following that the unit works through a timer, I would think that the wire goes back to the PC board, and the PC board will have another circuit/wire that will activate a transistor or maybe even directly to the motor.

I will see if I can find a wiring diagram and let you know if I can.

Good luck, let me know what you find!
smokey_pacman

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio SIlvia V3
Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 12:54am

nikil, thanks so much for this thread, I will be moding mine this weekend
justanh

Espresso: Delonghi ec702
Grinder: Bodum Bistro
Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013, 10:57am

Hey PDM and those that have been able to shim this grinder,

I'm having a really hard time pulling that nut at the bottom of the grinder blade. How did you guys hold the blade tight enough to undo the nut? The note said it was right hand threaded which means that if I turned it counter clockwise, it should come off right?

Right now I have the gearbox fully detached from everything else including the motor, just can't get that undone.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Justin
PdM

Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013, 11:56am

Hi Justin,
No, you need to turn it clockwise to loosen it.
I used a set of adjustable plumbers pliers. It is a bit tricky, and depending on how tight the nut is you might need 2 people so you clamp the pliers and with the other hand keep them from jumping off of the tapered angle of the burr.
If you have disassembled or removed the gearbox, open it up and make sure that you have all the ball bearings in the right place beneath the drive plate, otherwise you will be stripping it again. I learnt the hard way, took about 3 strips &  assemble tries to figure out what was making that noise! Ball bearing fell out :-P
justanh

Espresso: Delonghi ec702
Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013, 1:47pm

Amazing! Thanks so much. I'll get some help on this one and hopefully I have success.

Good call about the ball bearing. Are those in the gearbox or outside? I noticed one had fallen out but haven't yet found out where from.

J
PdM

Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 12:08am

Inside the 'box, you' lol understand when you've opened it.
Good luck!
NJDcoffee

Posted Sun Oct 12, 2014, 10:20am

Hi, this is my first post here.  Just registered to say thanks so much for this thread.  I followed PDM's method and successfully modded my Bodum bistro.  There were a few hairy moments - getting the case off is tricky, and getting it back on is even more tricky.  I sprung the power button out at one point and thought I had killed it, but managed to snap it back in and got it working again.  I had to put 2 10mm washers in to increase the fine-ness, 1 wasn't enough.  Also had to trim down the fibre washer using a stanley knife to get it to sit back in it's groove with the 2 washers behind it.  I've now got really nice fine consistent grounds and just pulled a perfect 25second double espresso on my Gaggia Classic using it.

Very happy!
AxeSlash
AxeSlash

Espresso: DeLonghi EC145
Posted Wed Jan 28, 2015, 4:31pm

I just attempted the shimming mod; thought I'd post some info that I don't think has been mentioned so far that others may find useful:

- I found that the two torx bolts that are recessed at the rear are different to the other ones; I didn't need to break off the centre pin to get them out, a normal T10 Torx driver was able to do it

- Breaking off the pin of the other two was accomplished by jamming a small flatblade screwdriver in and twisting it around a bit. Not the neatest way, it did damage the head a little bit, but not so much that I couldn't get the driver in.

- Snip the cable tie that ties the mains cable back to itself next to the ferrite core; this gives you much more slack available to get the outer casing off.

- Pull the red timing knob off and unscrew the nut underneath to free the PCB (the red stop button will fall out when the PCB is removed, don't lose it). This gives you much more room to mess about getting the outer case on/off (which is the hardest part of this mod by far)

- The difficult part for me was getting the power switch past the gearbox mounting post in order to remove the outer case. Had I snipped that cable tie earlier on, however, it may have been considerably easier. YMMV.

- You will probably end up with some very minor damage to the upper part of the lower burr where you have to clamp the pliers on to hold it while you undo the nut. Nothing to cry about in real terms - it won't affect the function in any way; but if you like to keep your stuff pristine, it won't happen.

- Just to confirm, the nut is what I was always told was a 'left hand thread' (as opposed to 'right hand' mentioned here earlier) - you definitely turn it the opposite way (i.e. clockwise) to undo it.

- When opening up the gearbox, be aware that there's lots of grease in there. Have a cloth to hand and try not to get coffee grinds in there

- The gear that is prone to bearing movement (the one immediately in front of you when you take the metal plate off) can be a bit of a pain; the bearings (and the springs that hold them in) have a habit of falling out. Don't let a bearing drop down the hole in the gear where the spring sits, you'll have to take all the bearings out and tap the gear on your workbench to get the damn bearing back out (this gets messy real fast). I suggest you have needle nose pliers on hand if you want to faff with the gearbox. If, when you remove the metal plate for the first time, the large gear immediately in front of you is completely flush with the smaller gear that meshes with it, leave it alone. Don't take it out; save yourself the effort. If it sticks out a millimeter or two, it's likely a bearing or spring has popped out and you'll have to get messy.

- A 1mm washer (measured with a caliper) was too much for my machine. On the third dot away from the cafetiere setting I heard the burrs touching, so tomorrow I'm going to try and find a thinner washer. Haven't actually tried grinding anything with it in it's current state, but I want more adjustability than 'espresso or moka only'.

- I wasn't entirely sure how tight to do up the nut afterwards, so I did it just enough to compress the spring washer fully, then backed it off a touch. It felt a bit stiff when done up all the way, although it's difficult to tell due to the high gearing off the gearbox. I figured I'd rather have it a little looser and run more freely; the nut's not going to fall off any time soon and it's not like I'm using the grinder all day every day.

- Pay attention to where you route all the cables when you put it back together if you had to snip some cable ties. Try and keep them away from moving parts and/or parts that will get hot.

- I didn't have any problems with wires coming unsoldered, but I took pictures at every stage of disassembly so that if something did come off I could put it back where it needed to be (I can solder pretty well). I can see how other would have problems though - the soldering isn't great and the tight cables and position of the mains switch could easily result in a wire coming off.

- If the hopper won't go back on when you've finished putting it back together, there's a white plastic ring with notches in it that it's supposed to locate into, you may need to rotate this back round anticlockwise so it's back in the cafetiere position.

- If you're ever intending to claim on the warranty after doing this mod, forget it. It's practically impossible to do without leaving telltale signs that you've been inside it.

If anything else springs to mind I'll post it here. Sorry for dredging up an old thread :P
AxeSlash
AxeSlash

Espresso: DeLonghi EC145
Posted Thu Jan 29, 2015, 2:58pm

I take it back. Just had to resolder 3 different wires that snapped during reassembly for the 2nd and 3rd time. It's not so much bad soldering from the factory that's the problem, it's the cheap wire they used. So if you don't know how to solder, don't attempt this mod.

In the absence of a flatter washer, I ended up trimming the piece of the white plastic part that goes underneath the bottom burr; there's a circle on that plastic part that stands about half a millimeter proud, on the side where the pin sticks up (the side that touches the burr). I basically cut that proud bit off with a knife (be very careful, potential for injury is very high, it's awkward to hold and the plastic is quite difficult to cut).

The burrs now only touch when I get to the drip setting, so really I probably should still find a flatter washer, but for now it's as much as I can be bothered with. I've taken the damn thing apart so many times I'm not a bit bored of the process.

I've only ground one one shot with it so far, and that was on 3 dots coarser than where the burrs touch. It wasn't fine enough for my EC145 so I'm not holding out much hope even for the 3 more dots I have to play with. I guess this is what I get for getting a cheap grinder without researching it enough :P

If it doesn't go fine enough it'll be donated to the Mrs as a spice grinder and I'll get something else.

Although it could potentially be the beans I'm using at the moment...they're from a notorious chain of coffee shops so maybe I'm expecting too much :P
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Bodum Bistro...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2015 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.224735021591)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+