Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
solis/starbucks barista for pour over/vac pot
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > solis/starbucks...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jbb
jbb
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: silvia v2, la spaziale s1v1
Grinder: rocky, b. vario
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 3:15pm
Subject: solis/starbucks barista for pour over/vac pot

I'd be interested in hearing what people think of this grinder for pour over and vac pot, especially in comparison with the B. vario.

If you had the choice

a) would you prefer the convenience of having the barista as a dedicated grinder for pour over/vac pot and the vario as a dedicated grinder for espresso.  no daily switching back and forth.

b) use the vario for both and forget the barista.  i have to say i'm really impressed with the filter coffee i'm getting from the vario but don't know how the barista performs in this regard (reviews seem to say its "good").

thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 5:22pm
Subject: Re: solis/starbucks barista for pour over/vac pot

I regularly switch my Baratza Vario back-and-forth between espresso and pourover with no problem whatsoever, so . . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
jbb
jbb

Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 10:57pm

......so sure its not difficult to grind by dose or dump out/refill the B. vario hopper.  that's what I've been doing and its not a problem.  In our house the espresso bar is downstairs and filter coffee happens upstairs in the kitchen.  so there would be a convenience factor in having a grinder in each place.  plus the solis/barista in question belongs to a colleague whose been limping by on the tape mod for espresso.  one possibility is that i could sell him my rocky and make it more manageable by factoring his barista into the deal.

hence my interest in how the two grinders might compare for pour over/vac pot grinding.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Mar 3, 2011, 2:10pm

I have a Solis 166 that I use as a travel grinder. It does a great job for other than espresso work. If you can get it at a good price, I don't think you could go very wrong.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post

Espresso: Awaiting spare parts ;o(
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Mar 3, 2011, 5:05pm

I have a Dualit grinder which is a rebadged Solis 166.  It works fine for filter, vacuum, moka pot, napoletana and (dare I say it) the occasional percolator brew. I don't use it for a Cafetiere/french press, but given it works for all of the above I'd be sure it will give similar results.

It is so much more convenient than using a single grinder.

I haven't ever seen let alone used a Vario; but irrespective of its merits, I'd come down on the side of having 2 grinders just to keep life a bit simpler.
jbb
jbb

Posted Thu Mar 3, 2011, 11:43pm

calblacksmith Said:

I have a Solis 166 that I use as a travel grinder. It does a great job for other than espresso work. If you can get it at a good price, I don't think you could go very wrong.

Posted March 3, 2011 link

hi Wayne-good to hear from you.  I think if he decides to go for the rocky, i'll probably factor it into the sale.  he's strictly espresso so i imagine he will not be too sad to see it go. at some point might be fun to have have a shoot out between the bv and your sj's?  

__________ Said:

I have a Dualit grinder which is a rebadged Solis 166.  It works fine for filter, vacuum, moka pot, napoletana and (dare I say it) the occasional percolator brew. I don't use it for a Cafetiere/french press, but given it works for all of the above I'd be sure it will give similar results.

Posted March 3, 2011 link

sounds like a completely reasonable addition to the arsenal.  I found  a Mark Prince review (mostly focused on the Maestro) that reached similar conclusions.  

I heard starbuck require their barista to be slow,I think I can wait if they can make good coffeeKind of a silly name for a grinder, isn't it.  The MP review cited above had a bit of the history of Starbucks involvement.  I try not to gripe about Starbucks too much.  my family travels a lot during the holidays and, well, any port in a storm.  last Xmas had a busted vacuum hose that had to get fixed in Las Cruces NM.  real low point.  went into a starbucks and had what was actually a quite decent latte, very friendly, handing out free Christmas cookies for my kid.  Starbucks got bumped up a notch in my book.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Mar 4, 2011, 7:27am

Jeff, any time you want to, come on by and we will crank up anything you like. :D
At the moment, I have my 2 gp Brasilia setup along with my ECM.

Only this morning, the pump on my ECM started making noise. Rather, there is something vibrating inside the case when the pump is on. I need to crack it open and find out what is going on. It still makes great coffee but the noise is annoying, that and if it is the pump, the head alone costs more than a whole vibe pump LOL!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > solis/starbucks...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.262296915054)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+