Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Mazzer Mini 64mm burr swap?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Mini 64mm...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
DST

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID
Grinder: Mazzer Mini w/SJ Burrs
Drip: Clever dripper
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 5:20pm
Subject: Re: Mazzer Mini 64mm burr swap?

I received the new parts and you are correct they are definitely different parts. I am not sure what the deal is with the 1st line carrier unless including the mini in the description was a typo.
I posted the following at HB along with a couple pics but might as well post it here as well:

"The install went smoothly and the lower carrier came out much easier than expected after using a tip from another thread and heating it up with a blowdryer. I used 50mm long M4 screws in the burr screw holes to help pull the lower carrier out after heating it but it required very little effort.

I haven't pulled any shots yet but I have made some observations while running stale beans through to break in the burrs. The grounds seem noticeably fluffier and less clumpy but I am not sure how much of that can be attributed to replacing ~7 yr old burrs. The old burrs were still in quite good shape though.

The grind time is also noticeably faster with more aggressive popcorning and the grounds shoot out of the chamber with more force. Takes ~12 seconds for 17grams and spins down in ~2 seconds.

I spent about double what I had planned but even prior to tasting any shots I already think it was a worthwhile upgrade based on the improvement in speed along with being able to keep the small footprint of the mini."
 View Profile Link to this post
dyno

Espresso: Salvatore The Club/Oscar
Grinder: K6 Pro/Super Mini E
Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 10:04pm

Good stuff. My lower burr carrier came in from Espressoparts and the upper is enroute.  

Mazzer Mini Manual with SJ burrs and timer => The Super Mini

Never had a bit of trouble pulling a consistent looking shot from the dosered Mini - taste wasn't to par with the SJ Mini E though.
DavecUK

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 3:46am

dyno Said:

Good stuff. My lower burr carrier came in from Espressoparts and the upper is enroute.  

Mazzer Mini Manual with SJ burrs and timer => The Super Mini

Never had a bit of trouble pulling a consistent looking shot from the dosered Mini - taste wasn't to par with the SJ Mini E though.

Posted March 14, 2013 link

Hmm...

Mazzer Mini Manual with SJ burrs and timer => Fast grinding, poorer grind than 64mm mini e burrs

The 64mm burr sets are different between the SJ and the mini E. I have used all 3 grinders and I am unsure whether the other person is referring to a Mini or Mini E, sounds like the mini. The SJ is a commercial grinder and grind speeds are important. It's big, it's fast. This is because of the more aggressive bean feed and different burr cut on the burrs. This faster grind does not produce a better grind, in fact I believe the grind is worse then the mini. Of course in the commercial environment, speed is important. Then we have the mini e, low volume commercial/home use. Much better grind because speed is not a priority and I think the less aggressive feeds produce better grind.

One of the BIGGEST problems is people using non OEM burrs in the Mazzers....it makes a huge difference and It's a LOT harder to get genuine burrs than people think it is.

Over-stressing the motor is a minor issue, the SJ burrs will put more stress on the motor, but with the low and short home duty cycle, it's probably not a major problem.
dyno

Espresso: Salvatore The Club/Oscar
Grinder: K6 Pro/Super Mini E
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 3:48pm

Dave.  

I'm not going to break down your post word by word but what you've typed shows alot of postulating.  

Have you or haven't you performed a burr swap and compared the difference in the cup?
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Mini 64mm...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.238358974457)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+