Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Mazzer Bearing Replacement
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Bearing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
clearchris

Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Feb 21, 2011, 9:45am
Subject: Mazzer Bearing Replacement

Hi.  

I removed the bearings from my super jolly and bough new ones from my local bearing shop.  

Does anyone have a recommended order of replacement so I don't damage the bearings?

I figure I'm going to have to

1.  press the top bearing into the housing
  2.  press the rotor shaft up through the bearing
  3.  press the bottom bearing into the housing
  4.  press the housing and bearing onto the bottom rotor shaft.

Step 2 is going to be interesting because you have to support the bearing on the inside track when you press the shaft in.

BTW, this bearing puller worked great to remove the bearings.  

Click Here (www.harborfreight.com)

Just make sure when you pull the top bearing that you grab the bearing and not the housing.  Flip it over and use a flashlight.  You'll see.

Rise Bakery and Coffee, San Antonio, TX.  http://www.risebakeryandcoffee.com
 View Profile Link to this post
Zdunk31
Zdunk31
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Bezzera BZ 35R DE
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Auto
Roaster: Home-made, on the drawing...
Posted Fri Feb 25, 2011, 1:42pm
Subject: Re: Mazzer Bearing Replacement

Just read this, just wondering how the installation worked out for you. You're right that you have to support the inner race of the bearing when pressing it onto the shaft. This is true anytime you press a roller type bearing onto a shaft of any kind.
clearchris

Posted Sun Feb 27, 2011, 8:04pm

I bought a shop press to put the bearings in, but it worked great.  

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html

To support the inner race for the top bearing, I put the bearing cover plate back on the housing and pressed the shaft through.

Initial testing shows that the new bearings fixed the squealing of the grinder.

clearchris

Posted Tue Mar 1, 2011, 8:59pm

Oh, and the bearings for the super jolly was a metric 202 bearing with dual shielding.  I covered them with a food safe grease I had obtained earlier from grainger.

So, final cost to repair the bearings:

36$ for blind bearing puller (on sale with coupon)
 100$ for shop press (on sale with coupon)
 12$ for each bearing (2 required)

Total:  160$ parts and tools.

Zdunk31
Zdunk31

Posted Wed Mar 2, 2011, 7:35pm

Good to hear that the bearings were easily found, I'm looking for a Mazzer Mini that would be in need of some work. (rebuild)
Came across this thread and filed it under FYI for future reference. Thanks for the replies.
clearchris

Posted Thu Mar 3, 2011, 3:02pm

I doubt you would ever find a mazzer mini that would need the bearings replaced as the minis are targeted at homeowners.  I would suggest avoiding anything with doser sensors as it needlessly complicates things and adds expensive parts likely to fail.  (my 2c)

This machine was one of the "tagex" machines that came out of a *$, and a *rough* looking one at that.  It spent about 1.5 years on my commercial counter as a decaf grinder and one day made a shriek so bad I thought there was a rock in the burrs.

Edit:  BTW, I put the prices of the tools I had to buy to let people know that while it is possible to repair, they may just want to spend some extra money on a nicer grinder.  :)  I'm probably not the average coffeegeek.com user as I have a commercial cafe and have lots of equipment that seems to break often.  I will, unfortunately, likely use these tools again, so it's worth the investment to me.

Zdunk31
Zdunk31

Posted Sat Mar 5, 2011, 8:27am

Understand about the tool thing, I am a mechanic by trade and have or have access to the needed tools. But I'm sure the average person would be better putting their money into a decent grinder. This has turned into a hobby of sorts as I bought a Bezzera Machine that I'm rebuilding and know I'm going to need a decent grinder. Was looking at picking up a grinder that needs work, at a price that would make it feasable. Agree with staying away from the electronics because of the price of replacement or repair of the componets. Also found a thread about upgrading the Mini's 58mm burrs to the SJ 64mm, ( grind quality )so that's where I'm kind of heading. I really don't care how rough the finish is, if it's that bad I could disassemble the grinder and strip the finish off and have it powder coated. If I want to I can always buy the Mazzer badge to put back on for astechetics, but as long as the motor works and the doser chamber is intact I can work with it from there. Thanks again for the insite on the bearing replacement, good tho know for about $25 and the right tools this can be a easy project.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Bearing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.215141057968)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+