Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Does anybody know the new Breville BCG800 (Smart Grinder)?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Does anybody...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
randytsuch

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office with...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Customized Alpenrost,...
Posted Wed Feb 16, 2011, 1:28pm
Subject: Re: Does anybody know the new Breville BCG800 (Smart Grinder)?

jbb Said:

As somebody about to pull the trigger on a B vario, would anybody counsel waiting until a clearer picture on the capabilities of this grinder emerges?  The price is great, but, as others have pointed out, only 25 settings covering press to espresso?  also, not withstanding the aussie posts, the comments on how it does for espresso at this point seem spotty.  

The vario would not be my "dream grinder".  but for the immediate future i need one grinder to handle both drip/vac pot and espresso, and in this regard the vario seems like a very practical choice that would be a step up (in terms of grind quality) from my Rocky.  The only downsides I've heard are it may not be a grinder you bequeath to your grandchildren, and a few negative comments on static.

Posted February 16, 2011 link

I would like to see a blind test of the Breville with a quality grinder, but maybe that's just me.

One option is the BBB carries it, and they have a great return policy if you aren't happy with it.
Click Here (www.bedbathandbeyond.com)

But, I'm not sure if they carry in store, or if you ordered from the net, if you would be out shipping costs if you did not like it.

Randy
 View Profile Link to this post
Frost
Frost
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed Feb 16, 2011, 2:23pm

A 30 day (or even a week) return policy would be a great no risk way to try it out.
I would just like to see the details on day to day use of the grinder; ...Dialed in X blend 3 notches from upper limit. 25 second 2 oz pour. One notch up and down on the adjustment gave me X volume in 25 seconds. Several different blends and over a week or 2 and compared to some capable espresso grinder. Was it rock solid shot to shot, day after day, was it a fiddle every morning? etc.  The shim requirement is not a big deal if it will improve resolution in the espresso grind range.
I'm all for the blind taste testing too....
randytsuch

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office with...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Customized Alpenrost,...
Posted Wed Feb 16, 2011, 5:52pm

Frost Said:

A 30 day (or even a week) return policy would be a great no risk way to try it out.

Posted February 16, 2011 link

The BB&B return policy is like Costco's, basically you can return it whenever you want.

I bought the 800's little brother, and was using it at work.  Later, I replaced it with a Virt, and returned it to BBB around a month after I bought it, and they just took it back.

I did have some issues with the smaller Breville, if the beans I used were too hard (too lightly roasted), the Breville's belt would slip, and it would stop grinding until I adjusted it courser.

Randy
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Wed Feb 16, 2011, 6:58pm

I would worry more about the 6 month return than the 30 day return (that's about the time my Vario broke). They shipped me a replacement the same day!

Judging from the horribly irregular sound coming from that Breville in the videos, good customer support would be high on my list of "must haves".

I think I'd be inclinded to spend the extra $100 for the new Baratza Prescio for that reason alone. (Although I admit the sexy LCD screen is hard to resist).
joc3721

Espresso: Vertrano
Grinder: Vario, Breville
Vac Pot: Hario, Kalita
Drip: KMB, chemex & Technivorm
Roaster: gene cafe
Posted Thu Feb 17, 2011, 8:37am

I just went through the same dilemma (have a vario on the way).  The Breville may be a giant killer, but we just don't know yet.  The seattle coffee video review was not encouraging, they couldn't get a decent espresso grind out of it.  At least we know with the vario that it can produce good results across all grind types, that their customer service is good and that there are many happy users out there.
Having said that, I have 3 Breville appliances that I'm very happy with.  I think their designs are first rate and the new grinder looks ingenious in terms of its features and flexibility.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see if this new grinder is really a contender.
GDK

Espresso: MiniVivaldi II, preinfusion,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario W
Posted Thu Feb 17, 2011, 8:52am

I was also set on the Vario but now I may wait a little.

I am convinced that without the shim kit modification, the Breville would be a disappointment for many owning non-pressurized espresso machines. Some time ago I bought another (cheaper) Breville model and returned it back shortly (thanks god for Amazon's return policy). Many at amazon.com were praising it for making good espresso but it clearly did not cut it.  This model is likely closer to the goal, but I am waiting for a serious review with the modification kit installed.

George
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Thu Feb 17, 2011, 9:03am

I know I will never own one but find the thread interesting.  Here is a Breville-promoted YouTube clip with an Aussie actress plugging the machine.  I find it interesting and revealing that they don't run any audio of the grinder in action.  YouTube warning for those at work: Breville promotion

RE:  Price.  The Breville grinder runs $200; a Vario costs $450.  The average car payment in the US is $416 per month.  For me, spending that extra $250 one time for a step-up on a grinder that often lasts 10 years is a no-brainer.  Inexpensive grinders are false economy.  YMMV.

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jbb
jbb
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: silvia v2, la spaziale s1v1
Grinder: rocky, b. vario
Posted Thu Feb 17, 2011, 9:08am

joc3721 Said:

The Breville may be a giant killer, but we just don't know yet....At least we know with the vario that it can produce good results across all grind types, that their customer service is good and that there are many happy users out there.

Posted February 17, 2011 link

I did some more reading and thinking about it last night, and came to pretty much identical conclusions.  If one needs a single, reasonably affordable grinder that can do both espresso and drip the Vario looks like the best bet at the this point and time, especially if a move to an additional espresso dedicated grinder is anticipated in the future.  And like you say the support service seems top notch.  So my Vario is now on its way.  If I can get my vivaldi up and running before I sell  Rocky I'll try to bring over some tasters and have a side by side shoot out.
GDK

Espresso: MiniVivaldi II, preinfusion,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario W
Posted Thu Feb 17, 2011, 9:12am

Looking forward to this test, I am also about to replace a Rocky.
netseraph

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Feb 17, 2011, 9:14am

GDK Said:

I was also set on the Vario but now I may wait a little.

I am convinced that without the shim kit modification, the Breville would be a disappointment for many owning non-pressurized espresso machines. Some time ago I bought another (cheaper) Breville model and returned it back shortly (thanks god for Amazon's return policy). Many at amazon.com were praising it for making good espresso but it clearly did not cut it.  This model is likely closer to the goal, but I am waiting for a serious review with the modification kit installed.

George

Posted February 17, 2011 link

Looks like the shim will elevate the bottom burr up 0.2-1.4 mm. This is the same trick I used to make my $25 Cuisinart DBM-8 produce fine enough grind for espresso. I'm not sure if I will go after $200+ grinder to get marginal improvement.
showing page 3 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Does anybody...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.323169946671)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+