Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 124 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
mikebrx
mikebrx
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia CC pid
Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue Feb 1, 2011, 11:47am
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

That was it! Opened it up today, and found a loose belt. Little or no black on the gear. Tightened the belt, we'll see what the next few days brings. Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Feb 1, 2011, 12:04pm

Excellent Michael,

Glad I could help!

Don't tighten the belt too much though as that'll put too much stress on all the associated drive geartrain. It's kinda like tightening a chain on a motorcycle to spec, there's a loose spot & a tighter spot/area (due to uneven chain link bushing wear) not applicable to this glass reinforced ContiTech Contential drive belt though, but you have to leave a little "give" in the belt.

I just go by an aquired 'feel' to it. {;-)

CraigA: belt tension2.gif
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ge7243

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola;...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Bodum 3-cup press
Posted Wed Feb 2, 2011, 5:39am

Figured I'd give an update on the issues I was having: every time I changed the grind to a finer setting, it would have to grind for a few extra seconds after dialing in to actually achieve the desired fineness. And even then, the grind size would become gradually more inconsistent with each successive dosing.

Well I'm happy to report that the problem appears to have fixed itself. There is no trouble at all with grind consistency now, and the fineness gets dialed in almost immediately. I have no idea why it's okay now-I haven't attempted any repairs since I first brought this up pages back-but you won't see me complaining!

As an aside, I'm also happy to say that it's getting more use from the rest of my family now. My parents recently switched from a Delonghi super automatic to a Cuisinart K-cup maker. After realizing that K-cups cost an awful lot for old vacuum sealed pre-grinds, they have taken to grinding about a day's worth of coffee at a time with my Vario and using miniature disposable paper filters to brew their coffee with. Not the classiest solution, but I'm proud of them nevertheless!
Grenfell

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Drip: Ubiquitous Cuisinart
Posted Wed Feb 2, 2011, 7:01am
Subject: Re: UPDATE

Grenfell Said:

Perfect!  Thank you very much for posting the pic, appreciated.  That's exactly the part I am missing and I'm sure it's floating around inside the grinder somewhere.  Baratza has already mailed the parts, will post an update once I've repaired it.

Cheers,
C.

Posted January 25, 2011 link

UPDATE

So the parts arrived yesterday from Baratza.  Spoke with Pierce at Baratza who was incredibly helpful.  They sent me a new outer housing, switch, shims AND the updated faceboard (mine was the original, no sleep or memory).  No cost.

I took the grinder apart and was able to re-secure the hopper switch - thanks for that pic Craig, it was instrumental to re-fitting the metal tab to hold the switch into place.  It had fallen off and was stuck to the side of the motor (magnetic force).  I installed the new faceboard and the shims.  Baratza sent a PDF to me with instructions how to install the shims, it was detailed and the process was easy.  I put everything back together and the first thing I noticed was how much the slider arms had 'firmed up'.  They really click into place now and hold that position.  The shims make a BIG difference.  If anyone needs the instructions, just ask.

Tested the grinder dry, all good, added some beans and voilà - back in action.  Grinder is working perfectly.  No more sliding macro arm.  

So all in all I am EXCEPTIONALLY pleased with Baratza's customer service.  Even if this wasn't such an amazing grinder (it is), I would recommend them based on this aspect alone.  Too many companies in the past few years have put customer service waaaay on the back burner.  Not Baratza.  Even though breaking the tabs on the outer case was my fault, they sent me a new one.  So thanks to all there.

Big thanks to everyone here who helped me as well, especially Craig!

Sipping a lattè now actually...tastes great.  :D
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Feb 2, 2011, 7:12am

Perfect, all's well that ends well! {:-D

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Rideoften

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus
Posted Thu Feb 3, 2011, 1:16am

On a similar note. I recently got a stone in my Vario and ruined the drive gear and damaged the drive belt. I emailed Baratza and told them I was mechanically inclined and requested info. Pierce Jens responded and said he'd send me a belt and gear and write a tutorial on the repair. With his tutorial, I was able to remove the damaged parts and upon arrival replace with the new parts. The Vario is running good as new. I really appreiciate Pierce taking the time to help me through this and I really enjoyed seeing how a Vario works. 1st class service in my opnion. Thanks Pierce Jens.

Mike
alnica

Espresso: Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Porlex Mini
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Sat Feb 5, 2011, 10:09am

Strange thing happening to my (8 month old) Vario today. While grinding the sliders are slipping. During my 13 sec espresso dose, the micro slider is slipping down 2-3 grinds and the macro one one notch. This is the first time this has happened. Any ideas what is happening here and how to fix?

I had a look at a similar problem from the UK in this post, and should add that my Vario is the newer model: http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/457563

Thanks in advance,

Al
Grenfell

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Drip: Ubiquitous Cuisinart
Posted Mon Feb 7, 2011, 7:07am

alnica Said:

Strange thing happening to my (8 month old) Vario today. While grinding the sliders are slipping. During my 13 sec espresso dose, the micro slider is slipping down 2-3 grinds and the macro one one notch. This is the first time this has happened. Any ideas what is happening here and how to fix?

I had a look at a similar problem from the UK in this post, and should add that my Vario is the newer model: http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/457563

Thanks in advance,

Al

Posted February 5, 2011 link

Al - it's well covered in this thread.  Read my post (about 4 posts up).  You can get small silicone shims for the levers that increase the tension of the arms, so they stay in place better.  Fixed mine.
C.
alnica

Espresso: Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Porlex Mini
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Mon Feb 7, 2011, 3:55pm

Hi Chris, I had trawled through the first 200 posts on this thread but didn't look at the most recent ones. Oops! Have now emailed Baratza so hopefully they will send me out the mysterious "shims". Al
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Feb 7, 2011, 4:22pm

Grenfell Said:

Al - it's well covered in this thread.  Read my post (about 4 posts up).  You can get small silicone shims for the levers that increase the tension of the arms, so they stay in place better.  Fixed mine.
C.

Posted February 7, 2011 link

Thanks Chris.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 124 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.398571014404)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+