Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Another Capresso Infinity Modification (Now with pictures!  Stepless, too!)
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Another Capresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
amb

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Aug 17, 2009, 9:01am
Subject: Another Capresso Infinity Modification (Now with pictures!  Stepless, too!)

I've seen a lot of people recommend the "stepless" modification for the Infinity (here's a link to one description), but I have some issues with it, since the clicks tell me exactly where the inner burr holder is sitting, while there's enough slop between the bean hopper and the burr holder that just looking at the dot on the hopper doesn't work as well for me.  I also find that the setting doesn't stay put over time without the detents.

However, like everyone else, I also think it doesn't have fine enough adjustment steps as-is.

My solution to that was to follow the procedure above as far as disassembly goes, but instead to simply drill some extra detent holes in between the existing ones.  (I first did this where I needed it, right around the boundary between "fine" and "extra fine".)  I find that with double the adjustability it does what I need it to do for espresso.

I was concerned that I'd weaken the ring enough with the extra holes that it would eventually break, but it's been running this way for more than three years and grinding for at least four doubles per day and I've got no complaints.  (I don't run it back and forth a lot, though; this grinder mostly sits parked on one setting.)

Note that while I'd recommend this mod wholeheartedly if you're grinding for espresso, I'm sure it will void your warranty!  (Caveat moddor?)

My instructions are incomplete; the blogspot link above has much better text explaining the disassembly process.

Links to pics:
Hope this is useful; enjoy!  I don't see any way of including inline thumbnails, but if I figure it out I'll add them.

PS: Does anyone else who likes this machine worry that Capresso is going to end-of-life them in favor of their crappier new burr grinder?
 View Profile Link to this post
cafecreme

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Roaster: Counter culture coffee
Posted Mon Aug 17, 2009, 11:35am
Subject: Re: Another Capresso Infinity Modification

I am definitely interested in the mod. I am tired to finish off my grind with a blade in order to achieve a  particle size suitable for expresso.
The_Shadow

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: NS Aurelia 2 group, 1977...
Grinder: NS MDX, NS Grinta, KyM...
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: BUNN VPR/LPG Combo
Roaster: Leave That To The Pros
Posted Tue Aug 18, 2009, 7:29am
Subject: Re: Another Capresso Infinity Modification

I've read that with the Infinity you either get one that won't grind fine enough no matter what or get one that works great. I must've bought one that works great as it will grind for Turkish if need be. With most espresso roasts I was able to dial it in with no issues and never had to grind at it's finest to make it work. There was plenty of room to work with. I did make mine stepless a few years ago and to keep the setting while grinding I'd just hold the hopper in place. I don't use the grinder anymore, but it was a good one for the $$$. Later!
amb

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2009, 7:03pm
Subject: Re: Another Capresso Infinity Modification (Now with pictures!  Stepless, too!)

Pics added.  It covers making it stepless as well, since most of the work is the same.  Enjoy!
Converted

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Oct 20, 2010, 2:26pm
Subject: Re: Another Capresso Infinity Modification (Now with pictures!  Stepless, too!)

Thanks for the pics and ideas. They really helped me even though I came up with something else. Your mod or the stepless one did not work for me because the grinder would only turn so far and then the plastic stoppers would stop it. I could not get the dryer Columbian beans fine enough for espresso and with the finest grind I was getting bitter shots that water just rushed through in less than three seconds.  I decided to shave down the stoppers and then found after doing so that it would shut off anyway because the bowl has to press the power switch and once the bowl turns past the finest setting the machine turns off. So, I put a metal clip on the power switch so that when I turn the timer on the grinder comes on and stays on until the timer is off and the bowl has not effect on it. Now I can grind the beans until they totally choke my machine. Since I did not take the step screw and ball out it still has steps but will grind much finer. I ended up with about six or seven extra steps on the fine side.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Another Capresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.236316919327)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+