Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Rancilio Rocky problem
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Rancilio Rocky...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
kozelek

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Miss Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Vac Pot: No
Drip: V60
Roaster: No
Posted Tue Oct 19, 2010, 9:08am
Subject: Re: Rancilio Rocky problem

My first reply here.

I got the same problems,

exactly "anything above the zero pointómeaning anything that doesn't make the contacting burrs noiseóis not really as fine as it should be for a proper espresso shot - it isn't coarse, but it is not powder."

I think the problem is the two burrs were not parallel, gonna try with the tape.

It is a 2nd hand Rocky too. If this can not solve seems I will have to replace the burrs.
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Oct 20, 2010, 9:50am

kozelek Said:

My first reply here.

I think the problem is the two burrs were not parallel, gonna try with the tape.

Posted October 19, 2010 link

I got your email today Wed Oct 20th @ 4:34am my time. I gave an answer above your post here & on the other thread that you posted on, & that's the about the best that you can do with it.

It is a 2nd hand Rocky too. If this can not solve seems I will have to replace the burrs.

How old is the Rocky?, how old are the burrs?

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
kozelek

Posted Thu Oct 21, 2010, 7:26am

Thanks Craig!

I took the upper burr down, and found there's a crack on it. Here's the pic.

So I have to replace it, luckily there's not so many coffee lovers in China, I found a man who works in a company which presents as a local agent here.  Wait to see whether there are burrs there.

This is a 2 years old rocky, and the burrs I believe were the original ones. But the man who sold this to me said that he only grind about ten lbs or more.

And I just wonder why not make the two bases with copper? I mean the base of the burrs, you know, the upper base is copper, but the other one is made of AL or something?

I am not the only one whose Rocky has problem here, seems there's a batch of Rocky have defects?

Anyway Miss Silvia comfort me, ;)
Opposite attracts!

kozelek: IMG_1814.JPG
(Click for larger image)
kozelek

Posted Thu Oct 21, 2010, 7:35am

The other side of the burr. I can only post one pic a time.

It's hard to find this crack untill I took it down.

Enlarge the pic, do you see it?

kozelek: IMG_1817.JPG
(Click for larger image)
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Thu Oct 21, 2010, 7:46am

kozelek Said:

Thanks Craig!

Posted October 21, 2010 link

You're welcome! {;-)

And I just wonder why not make the two bases with copper? I mean the base of the burrs, you know, the upper base is copper, but the other one is made of AL or something?

The upper burr carrier is made out of a solid billet of machined brass.

I am not the only one whose Rocky has problem here, seems there's a batch of Rocky have defects?

Yes, as I was saying on my other linked post with the picture of the dail gauge indicator., there's quite a bit of slop/play in the thread clearance between the lower receiver housing (Aluminum) & the top upper burr carrier. Teflon tape will help a lot.

CraigA: Pict0132.jpg
(Click for larger image)

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Thu Oct 21, 2010, 7:54am

kozelek Said:

The other side of the burr. I can only post one pic a time.

Posted October 21, 2010 link

Those burrs are certainly not a Rancilio OEM burr set (please look at the Rancilio logo above), looks like some aftermarket no name brand & not designed for the Rocky. I'd ventue a guess & say that's 100% of your problem, & the crack & probably warped trueness of the burrs.
You can check this by laying the burrs on a small mirror & look for warpage. Shining a small light down through the center on the burrs would reveal any warpage by the light visually escaping from underneath the flat milled circumference & you'd see it.

Enlarge the pic, do you see it?

Yes, I see it.

I'd definitely replace the burrs with a stock OEM set of Rancilio burrs!

CraigA: Pict0133.jpg
(Click for larger image)

JLLG

Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 11:50am

Hi All,
This is my first post.  I have decided to reply to an existing thread that is relevant to my current issue, at least to the best of my deduction.  I purchased a Rocky doserless back in mid-2007.  The plan was to invest in a good burr grinder then and eventually get an espresso machine later.  I just purchased a Miss Silvia from WLL about 2 weeks ago.  Up until this, the Rocky has been only grinding for press pot, +25 and up setting.
I have been looking forward to home espresso for quite some time but am really frustrated at this point.  In short, I have deduced that the Rocky burrs are not parallel and I canít produce a fine enough grind to choke the Silvia.  My main issue with shots is they are coming to fast and I have no room in grinder to adjust smaller.  I donít have a gram scale but I am trying my best to keep my dosing and tamping consistent while I adjust the grind.  I have heard that the Rocky can produce a powder grind and also should easily choke the Silvia.  I canít do either.  I have come close by overdosing the double basket (only things I have been using) and extra heavy tamp.  Still didnít chock it completely.  I have thought about the pressure being too high but since machine is new, actually ďrefurbishedĒ from WLL, I am assuming this was double checked (maybe bad assumption).  To be honest, I could not even tell machine was used if that means anything.  
So after a few days of experimenting and research, I figured I just needed new burrs.  I got those and the only appreciable difference is my zero point is different, which actually means nothing.  In practical usage, my shot times are essentially the same.  So as a last resort, I have done the marker test.  Marked the top burr flats and made the burrs touch.  Removed to check how even the wear marks are.  I did this with both burr sets and the touch point was in the same area of the upper carrier.  In my opinion, I have a problem with burrs not being parallel and itís not the burrs themselves.  Forgot to mention, I did these test with Teflon tape and my fingers are sore from all hard turning   Itís one or some combination of the motor, upper carrier, upper carrier sleeve (threads), lower carrier alignment.  It seems I have bad grinder and I am not sure itís even repairable.  Every reference I have found online just states to return it.  That is not an option for me since its 6 years old.  Has anyone been able to get this issue corrected when new burrs donít solve it?  What are costs associated with this type of repair?  Is it even repairable?  I am really disgusted with Rancilio, almost making me not want to keep the Silvia.
For now, I put the old burrs back in and at +1, finest setting, both burrs yield very similar shot times.  I feel like I already wasted money on new burrs.
Thanks in advance for any advice and help.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Rancilio Rocky...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.300149202347)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+