Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Krups GVX 242 for 65$, should I buy this?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Krups GVX 242...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Killovicz

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia :)
Grinder: Vario Home
Vac Pot: Moka Pot
Drip: AeroPress Sucks
Roaster: Custom Made Roster
Posted Wed Sep 15, 2010, 3:40am
Subject: Krups GVX 242 for 65$, should I buy this?

Hi ladies and gent's :)

I have come across a brand new Krups GVX 242 with 2 year warranty (Danish law, all electronic items have 2 year warranty by law!) for the cost of 65$. I was planing to buy a Mahlkönig Vario Home as my new grinder but 500$+ would really have an hard impact on my economy at the moment.

Since I only drink espresso based drinks, I was wondering if the Krups GVX 242 could do the job?

PS. I assume that if it is good enough for the espresso machines then it's good enough for my stove top/moka pot as well?

---------------------------------------

Thanks in advance, killovicz

Killovicz: krups_gvx242.jpg_12224808.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Mark08859
Mark08859

Espresso: Quickmill Alexia PID
Grinder: Ditting KE640 Vario
Posted Wed Sep 15, 2010, 6:29am
Subject: Re: Krups GVX 242 for 65$, should I buy this?

The answer is "maybe". This isn't an espresso only grinder. Therefore, those 17 settings have to cover a LOT of ground. If one of those settings hits the right grind for your machine, then you are in luck. More likely, you'll wish for additional stops in-between two of those settings. Remember, the grinder is the single most important factor is espresso preperation. But, if all you are doing is a moka pot, you'll probably be ok.
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Wed Sep 15, 2010, 9:40am

Reviews seem to indicate this is a false-burr grinder, which means it's a "Run awayyyy!" class machine. Don't waste your time or money. If you're desperate for an espresso-capable grinder on the cheap, look into a hand mill like those on Orphan Espresso, or a Hario, Kyocera, etc. Otherwise, save up for a true espresso grinder. This grinder may produce an average espresso shot once in a while, but it will never be a great one, and it will be terribly inconsistent. If, however, you simply want an electric grinder for your run-of-the-mill drip machine, go for it. They should pair nicely.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Killovicz

Espresso: Gaggia :)
Grinder: Vario Home
Vac Pot: Moka Pot
Drip: AeroPress Sucks
Roaster: Custom Made Roster
Posted Wed Sep 15, 2010, 11:07am

I've been googling on it a bit, for my self and found out that espresso users are very unsatisfied with it! So I think that I'll pass on this one.

,,,ant to tell you the truth I do not have any espresso machine atm, but I have a nespresso system and I was planing to copy this dude's style, at least for a while, lol.

Though I would probably use better beans and much more of them to make such a huge shot! (at least two if not three capsules for such a long shot)

I would be able to afford Mahlkönig Vario Home already next month, but then I would almost be broke for the rest of the month. I'll still have enough for the living but not enough to buy a Gaggia Espresso Dose (which I plan to buy unless convinced otherwise).

If I could get a hand grinder for less then 200$ then I'll be able to buy Gaggia Espresso Dose already next month. But then on the other hand, why pay 200$ for something that the one will only use temporary when the real thing costs 500$, lol. But If I could get a hand grinder for under 75$, well that's another story. A hand grinder would still be of use to me (despite having a Mahlkönig Vario Home) coupled with my moka pot, when on the trip, travelling, visiting my parents, etc.

Does anyone know of a website that sells hand grinders AND SHIP TO EUROPE?
(I'll probably be much better of making a new topic on this. But I'll do so on ToMuchCoffee since all Europeans there)

Thanks for your effort guys.
torontopian

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Aeropress at home, Silvia at...
Grinder: Maestro Plus at home, Rocky...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Espro and Bodum presses
Roaster: I wish..
Posted Wed Sep 15, 2010, 11:37am

Killovicz Said:

Does anyone know of a website that sells hand grinders AND SHIP TO EUROPE?
(I'll probably be much better of making a new topic on this. But I'll do so on ToMuchCoffee since all Europeans there)

Thanks for your effort guys.

Posted September 15, 2010 link

I think if you're looking for a hand grinder in Europe, you must surely be able to get a good deal on a Zassenhaus. Check out the Heidelberg grinder at zassenhaus.com (direct URL won't work for some reason). I haven't tried it personally, but I've seen them for USD$50-60 in the US and Canada and the German made Zass grinders are generally very good. You could probably get it for less in Europe.
cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Thu Sep 16, 2010, 1:54pm

Killovicz Said:

Hi ladies and gent's :)

I have come across a brand new Krups GVX 242 with 2 year warranty (Danish law, all electronic items have 2 year warranty by law!) for the cost of 65$. I was planing to buy a Mahlkönig Vario Home as my new grinder but 500$+ would really have an hard impact on my economy at the moment.

Since I only drink espresso based drinks, I was wondering if the Krups GVX 242 could do the job?

PS. I assume that if it is good enough for the espresso machines then it's good enough for my stove top/moka pot as well?

---------------------------------------

Thanks in advance, killovicz

Posted September 15, 2010 link

The European (not just Danish) two year warranty does not cover espresso quality : if it is a burr grinder it might just do it (it seems to be a stepped grinder...), if it is a blade grinder you are just throwing that (little) money away... MVH is definetly a quality buy, although you should be able to find a decent conical burr grinder for much less..
ciao, Pietro
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Fri Sep 17, 2010, 8:43pm

Here is a link to Alan Frew's article on grinders: "Domestic Espresso Grinder Analysis."

If you are looking at a grinder my recomendation is to look at the burrs and compare them to the burrs which he shows for the various classes of grinders.  The first group which he discusses are what I call "pseudo-burrs".  Run from these. The only thing they offer over a whirly blade is more noise, static, and mess.  I think that passing them off as real burr grinders borders on fraud.

Did I mention that I don't like them?

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Krups GVX 242...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.283686876297)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+