Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Vario lost its espresso setting
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario lost its...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
ryguy

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ02S
Grinder: Pharos, B. Vario
Posted Fri Sep 3, 2010, 2:54pm
Subject: Vario lost its espresso setting

Using ~1.5 week old beans from a local roaster, I had my 16g double shot dialed in on my vario at the second finest macro notch and within a few clicks of the top on the micro arm. I made a press pot yesterday morning with a different bean. I slid the macro arm down to press, and back up to where it was when I was done. This morning and afternoon when I pulled some shots exactly the same way, the grind was way off! The puck hit the dispersion screen upon locking it in which never happens, and the shot was a gusher.

The only thing I think it could be is that the calibration shifted when I changed it to a press and back. I calibrated it once or twice when I first got the grinder. I adjusted it to where the burrs started to chirp at the finest macro setting with the micro down at the bottom, and the motor began to labor about halfway up the micro, per Baratza's instructions. Now the burrs don't chirp until about halfway up the micro arm and the motor slows closer to the top of the micro range. I only made adjustments to the hex screw closest to the grinds chute when I calibrated it; I haven't done anything with the sliding hex screw that is under (or above) the rubber cover.

Have any of you had problems similar to this?

Ryan D
 View Profile Link to this post
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Sat Sep 4, 2010, 7:08am
Subject: Re: Vario lost its espresso setting

Your calibration seems to have changed, perhaps you didn't tighten the screw enough (don't over do it).  I adjust my grinder back and forth all the time with no issues, reset and be sure to tighten that screw and you should be ready to rock.

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ryguy

Posted Sat Sep 4, 2010, 6:12pm

I think you're thinking of a different calibration screw. Mine has two; one you put an allen wrench in and twist it to make it finer or coarser. The other you loosen and slide to change the calibration. I didn't do anything with the one that slides back and forth, although I suppose it's possible that it was loose to start with. I'll tighten it up tomorrow and see what that does.

TimEggers Said:

Your calibration seems to have changed, perhaps you didn't tighten the screw enough (don't over do it).  I adjust my grinder back and forth all the time with no issues, reset and be sure to tighten that screw and you should be ready to rock.

Posted September 4, 2010 link

Ryan D
bcrdukes

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/ Auber...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Sat Sep 4, 2010, 7:51pm

If in the event you can't get it recalibrated properly, I understand that Baratza's aftersales support is excellent so perhaps you can call/e-mail them if you decide to throw in the white towel.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Sep 4, 2010, 9:07pm

Ryan, by any chance did you adjust the grinder with beans in the hopper, but with the motor OFF?

if so, you probably have beans jamming the mechanism.
Just a thought.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
hazymat
hazymat

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Drip: Hario Woodneck
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Sep 7, 2010, 4:51pm

I'm glad this was posted.

I had assumed my Vario was solid as a rock, and wouldn't ever need to be recalibrated. Nor that the quality of the grinds would depend on how many shots are pulled in a period of time.

When I first got my grinder - and after a bit of practice, I was pulling shots like this (yay)
These days I have been pulling shots like this (boo)

I thought it was my new foray into home roasting.

But now I know, it's the grinder...

www.matsmithphotography.com
www.facebook.com/matsmithphotography

Behmor 1600, Baratza Vario, Rancilio Silvia
ryguy

Posted Tue Sep 7, 2010, 5:29pm

I recalibrated it to roughly where it was before. Can't say much to how the taste is, as I most recently used some beans that I home roasted, and they didn't roast very well. :P We'll see when I get some fresh beans in.

IMAWriter Said:

Ryan, by any chance did you adjust the grinder with beans in the hopper, but with the motor OFF?

if so, you probably have beans jamming the mechanism.
Just a thought.

Posted September 4, 2010 link

I weigh my beans before grinding; the hopper is kept empty.

hazymat Said:

I had assumed my Vario was solid as a rock, and wouldn't ever need to be recalibrated. Nor that the quality of the grinds would depend on how many shots are pulled in a period of time.

When I first got my grinder - and after a bit of practice, I was pulling shots like this (yay)

Posted September 7, 2010 link

I emailed Baratza; I'll let you all know what they say and how it works!

Ryan D
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Tue Sep 7, 2010, 8:24pm

hazymat Said:

?????????????
Who said anything about the # of shots affecting your grind.
Matt, contact Baratza if you have a problem, but to throw out accusations about a grinder many of us have had for nearly 2 years without a problem seems a bit harsh to me.
And, it COULD be foray into home roasting. if you're getting to 1st crack too fast, your beans are under-roasted internally, thus producing swill.
If you've taken too long, you've dried them out, and you'll produce swill, in addition egregious squirts.

Again, I suggest you contact Kyle at baratza via email. Their CS is as good as it gets.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
hazymat
hazymat

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Drip: Hario Woodneck
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Sep 8, 2010, 4:45am

IMAWriter Said:

... but to throw out accusations about a grinder many of us have had for nearly 2 years without a problem seems a bit harsh to me.

Crossed wires. I love my grinder. The only thing I could accuse it of is being too well-made, lulling me into a false sense of security that it's unlike other burr grinders and doesn't need re-tweaking from time to time. It's the best grinder I've owned. I simply meant that I'm glad I found this thread. Because it helped me to realise that the problem was the fact that I hadn't given enough thought to recalibrating. (Maybe I didn't make that last bit clear!)

Not to say that home roasting hasn't introduced another variable that can wildly throw the whole lot off, but that I had assumed it was all down to the roasting, whereas now I know I should probably start by recalibrating my grinder then figuring out my roasting issues :)

The comment about depending on how many shots are pulled in a period of time - I realise I had read this in another thread (I was looking at about 5 threads on Vario calibration at the same time, most probably getting confused!) Someone had said they were pulling like 50 shots in a day, someone responded saying that it's normal to see a change / degradation in the grinds when the thing gets so much use over a period of time (heat buildup), because it's designed as a home grinder not a commercial one. Forgive me for referring to that here, it was late and I honestly thought I'd read it in this thread!

ryguy Said:

I recalibrated it to roughly where it was before. Can't say much to how the taste is, as I most recently used some beans that I home roasted, and they didn't roast very well. :P We'll see when I get some fresh beans in.

I would put money on it being a loose primary adjustment screw. Are the grinds smaller, and staying a consistent size now?

ryguy Said:

I weigh my beans before grinding; the hopper is kept empty.

I think IMAWriter is referring to not adjusting the grind setting whilst the unit has beans in the mechanism as opposed to the hopper. Either way, it's best to only adjust the fineness setting when grinder is running empty, IMO.

www.matsmithphotography.com
www.facebook.com/matsmithphotography

Behmor 1600, Baratza Vario, Rancilio Silvia
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Wed Sep 8, 2010, 8:50pm

hazymat Said:

Crossed wires.

I think IMAWriter is referring to not adjusting the grind setting whilst the unit has beans in the mechanism as opposed to the hopper. Either way, it's best to only adjust the fineness setting when grinder is running empty, IMO.

Posted September 8, 2010 link

You are CORRECT ,sir!

BTW, we are GOOD! I'm just one who is very conscious of how important ALL our vendors, product manufacturers, and retailers are, and have been to us amateurs. An errant comment ends up on Google, and all He!! can break loose. LOL

I much appreciate your clarification, friend.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario lost its...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.371541976929)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+