Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
trouble -- vario and new silvia NOT getting along...
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > trouble -- vario...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
tejas

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Silvia w/ PID
Grinder: Baratza Vario, KitchenAid...
Vac Pot: Hario and Yamas
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: popcorn poppers
Posted Mon Aug 30, 2010, 3:27pm
Subject: Re: trouble -- vario and new silvia NOT getting along...

DO IT, DO IT NOW! You will learn so much more with Jon helping you, you could spend big money at a local roasters "class" and not learn near as much DO IT NOW!

I most certainly will -- thanks y'all!
 View Profile Link to this post
c1raider

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Aug 31, 2010, 1:08pm

I am so jealous, You could learn so much! I'm all alone in Omaha, NE (Cough, Cough) :(
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Thu Sep 2, 2010, 11:47am

tejas Said:

Oh, and I'm using "El Guapo" espresso from Catalina Coffee in Houston that's always been roasted within the previous week. Their coffee is always solid, so I know that's not the issue.

Posted August 28, 2010 link

I can say that's definitely not the issue...
birofunk

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mahlkonig Vario
Posted Fri Sep 17, 2010, 12:39pm

Damn, why don't I live in Houston! Jon come to Dublin ;)

Just a note on the OPV - I have been getting some gushers with my Silvia v3/Vario combo too, so I fitted got a pressure gauge to the PF and got 10 bars. I think that's pretty standard for the v3 Silvia.
tejas

Posted Mon Sep 20, 2010, 4:00pm

Hola y'all.

I stopped by Jon's house in Houston a couple weeks ago, and he graciously helped me troubleshoot the Vario and the Silvia. (I also got to try some ridiculously delicious espresso pulled from his GS/3.) We determined that, short of moving the micro lever finer than where the first burr noise was heard, my Vario wasn't grinding fine enough. Even with the lever set right where the burr noise was first heard, the shots were still pulling too fast.

I emailed Kyle at Baratza the next week, and he got back to me right away -- as always, excellent customer service -- and he suggested that I go ahead and calibrate the Vario a little tighter and that the "slight warbling" noise was common and okay. With that I was confident enough to slide the micro lever finer PAST where I started to hear any noise. In this range there was a subtle higher pitched noise but no change in the motor sound. Anyway, this did the trick! I pulled a number of shots today on the Silvia, and they were awesome.

A quick question for other Vario owners:
*When your Vario is running without beans in it, at the setting you use for espresso, do you hear any noise that you wouldn't hear at the French press setting? (I'm just wondering if I wasn't calibrating fine enough before and the noise that I was stopping at was just the "slight warble" and not a "motor-sound-changing" noise.)
*Ultimately, even though Kyle recommended that I make the calibration tighter, I guess I'm worried about putting any unnecessary wear on the such expensive burrs...

All is good now though. I'm finally getting consistently good shots from the Vario/Silvia that I can tinker with to further improve.

A big thanks to Jon -- it was very kind of him to help me out, and it's just another example of good people and good help on this forum.

(Also, trying some shots from Jon's GS/3 was a solid motivation to study hard, get through school, and get one of those salary things.)

Cheers.
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Sep 20, 2010, 5:10pm

tejas Said:

A quick question for other Vario owners:
*When your Vario is running without beans in it, at the setting you use for espresso, do you hear any noise that you wouldn't hear at the French press setting? (I'm just wondering if I wasn't calibrating fine enough before and the noise that I was stopping at was just the "slight warble" and not a "motor-sound-changing" noise.)
*Ultimately, even though Kyle recommended that I make the calibration tighter, I guess I'm worried about putting any unnecessary wear on the such expensive burrs...

Posted September 20, 2010 link

No, I hear no 'noise' at an espresso setting.
Jeff, you shouldn't have to go that tight to pull proper shots for a Silvia..
Do you know where the coarse primary 2.5mm slider hex cap screw is set at? As I said twice earlier before in this thread, to set a preference for the finest primary espresso setting., it has to be loosened & slid all the way forward..
You haven't said yet just where that screw is set at! Just tryin' to help ya out here..

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
tejas

Posted Mon Sep 20, 2010, 5:19pm

Thanks for the response.

The way I understood the two adjustments was that the 2.5mm sliding screw coarsely adjusts the calibration, and the 2.0mm turning screw finely adjusts the calibration. If that's the case, then the location of the 2.5mm screw wouldn't matter as long as I have it calibrated at the point where I hear a noise halfway up on the micro, right? I might be wrong about this, so please let me know if I am.

Either way, I'm about 2 micro notches below where I begin to hear any sort of noise. I'm dosing 20.5 grams into a Synesso triple basket, WDTing, and the shots look and taste good.

Any clarification about the two hex screws or potential technique flaws would be helpful...

Thanks again!
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Mon Sep 20, 2010, 5:28pm

tejas Said:

Any clarification about the two hex screws or potential technique flaws would be helpful...

It's in my very 1st post, click the link., read what's there (the link to Home Barista) about how to properly calibrate the grinder. I'm not going to type it all out here.. Do you have Google Talk/Chat? I see you have Gmail so I'll add you as as contact & contact you offline on it, if you'd like. Or click the MummaCafe link below. {;-)

With only 2 micro clicks of leeway left till hearing the motor "load", you haven't enough espresso grinding adjustment range..

Please see the pic in my post here please: "Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread" , or pictured below.

CraigA: phpIR8zN3PM[1].JPG
(Click for larger image)

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
tejas

Posted Mon Sep 20, 2010, 8:34pm

Thanks for the offer Craig! I'll be studying most of the rest of the night with Gmail open -- and I sent you a couple Gchats. I just checked, and the 2.5 hex screw is roughly at the midpoint...

Thanks again!
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Mon Sep 20, 2010, 10:03pm

tejas Said:

Thanks for the offer Craig!

No problem, anytime man!

I'll be studying most of the rest of the night with Gmail open -- and I sent you a couple Gchats. I just checked, and the 2.5 hex screw is roughly at the midpoint...

Yep, I just read them now & IM'd you on the chat but you're not around @ the moment & I'm beat..

showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > trouble -- vario...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.327484846115)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+