Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Braun 3045 burr grinder disassembly and cleaning
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Braun 3045 burr...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
sshambar

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Nov 26, 2008, 1:25pm
Subject: Braun 3045 burr grinder disassembly and cleaning

I've had this old Braun 3045 grinder for years, and it's finally started producing unacceptably coarse/uneven grinds at even the finest espresso setting.  So I decided to clean the burr heads....

The grinder appears to have no visible or hidden screws, and frustrated my initial attempts to access the interior. 20 mins searching the web for help on how to disassemble the grinder produced nothing but suggestions to run rice through it (which I'd tried).

Here's how I managed to access the burr heads (which I'm posting here for anyone else who searches for how to clean this grinder).

1) Remove the bean hopper (it pulls up and off easily).
2) The plastic grind adjustment ring can be removed by placing a flat head screw driver in the three slots around the inside lip of the ring, and gently pushing the tabs hanging down outwards and pulling up on the ring.  You may want to mark where the ring below the adjustment ring matches the adjustment marker, so that you know where to re-attach the adjustment ring later and keep the preset min/max adjustment settings.
3) The ring below has about 50 plastic teeth and locks the adjustment to each grind setting.  I can now be removed by simply unscrewing it counterclockwise until it comes loose.

I found that what was wrong with my grinder wasn't oil or grind build up, but rather that years of grinding had worn the blades down somewhat, and so that the minimum grind setting wasn't fine enough to make espresso grind.

I cleaned the burr heads and then screwed on the lower ring down until it was almost tight.  I then backed it off slightly and then reattached the grind adjustment ring so that the adjustment marker was set at it's min-point.

Hope this helps anyone else who's attempting to clean this model

(and yes, I know that I should probably replace this old grinder since the burr blades have been so seriously worn, but it's been relegated to our vacation house now anyway :) )

Scott
 View Profile Link to this post
DarylCincy
DarylCincy
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Technivorm KBT-741
Posted Sun Nov 30, 2008, 1:11pm
Subject: Re: Braun 3045 burr grinder disassembly and cleaning

Thanks Scott, your post was very helpfull I've had the Braun KMM 30 (3045) for about ten years not and never did figure out how to take it apart. I did get it apart thanks to you and found about the same results as you the burrs were wore quite a bit but not really any excess coffee build up. When I pulled it apart Idid forget to mark and check how far the burr carrier was tighened down and I got the burrs just a little to close however it was quick and easy to adjust. Good thing I did just get a Baratza Virtuoso just right before I tore this Braun apart its really been a good depenable grinder but theres not parts to rebuild it and I glad I got the Baratza it much quiter and alot faster and more consistent.

DarylCincy

http://www.youtube.com/user/DarylCincy
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mbhavana

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Braun
Drip: Braun
Posted Thu Apr 23, 2009, 12:29pm

Thanks Scott for the instructions.   With the new adjustment, I hope to get some more mileage from the Braun till I can justify buying the Rancilio Rocky to go with my Rancilio Silvia.  Hopefully none of my friends would like coffee from the Braun 4085 drip coffee maker.
Laral

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat May 16, 2009, 1:38pm

This is really funny. I wasn't even looking for this information but just happened upon it while lurking. I too have had this grinder for years and I tried to open it up when I read this instructable about how to mod a Cuisinart grinder (which I also just happen to have) so it would yield a super fine grind. I ran into the same problem and stopped at removing the hopper (and spilling beans everywhere :) ) and instead concentrated on modding the Cuisinart. The difference is striking. I get an incredibly fine fluffy grind that almost (almost!) rivals that of my Major with an accompanying taste improvement. I don't really want to try it on the Braun but I'm hoping maybe one of you will be inspired by the instructable and try it on your Braun. BTW I'm the one who used the brass washer approach. That's where you'll probably get the most mileage. Please report back if you try this.
artichoke

Posted Wed Aug 25, 2010, 2:24pm

Thanks Scott for the instructions on taking the Braun apart.  I would add that the slots are the big slots along the edges, that you can see gear teeth thru, one at a time push out the tab and lift that tab over the ledge that it catches on.

And now I am happy to say I have solved an oft reported problem with the Braun, that it doesn't grind fine enough.  The solution is just to screw the upper burr down tighter when replacing it.  I went some more clicks, just until there was a bit of contact when spinning the lower burr (running the motor), then backed off one click.  Then set that as the finest espresso setting when reassembling.

Now it takes a really long time to grind!  Like, a minute to grind a double shot at the new finest setting.  It's a fine soft powder that I think is even finer than the Lavazza pre-ground espresso (ugh, that stuff tastes horrible) that I got (to verify my hypothesis that my grind was too coarse -- which before it was.)

Now, I have plenty of crema on my fresh-ground espresso!
RonVM

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 9:46pm

Thanks Scott.  Your info worked and I may never have figured out how to disassemble the grinder.

I would like to add that you can cut off the two rectangular tabs that hang down from the ring that perform as stops between the fine and course settings. That way you can simply unscrew the whole bean holder assembly from the base WITHOUT going through the disassembly Scott describes each time you want to clean it out. This is exactly how the previous model works. Shame on the Braun engineers for redesigning the grinder so it cannot be cleaned thoroughly without Scott’s instructions.  It was amazing what an accumulation of bean residue I found when I got the grinder apart. New life for my venerable grinder. Thanks again Scott and Artichoke.

Ron M.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Braun 3045 burr...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.225706100464)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+