Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Hario Skerton and Espresso
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Hario Skerton...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
sherpakid

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Quickmill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress, Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri May 14, 2010, 1:45pm
Subject: Hario Skerton and Espresso

Recently I purchased the Hario Skerton as an interim grinder to use for espresso until I am done saving for my "dream grinder". I had heard that it could grind for espresso and did it quite well, and I read that it couldn't grind for espresso. After talking to the barista at Gimme! in NYC, I decided to go for it.

Previously I had been using a modified Solis 166 and had a hard time getting that espresso grind, even with the mod. I would get good pours with BC, but with other blends, it would be 2oz in 15 to 20 secs - and that was dosing 20g of coffee. That prompted me to try the Skerton. When I first got it, I adjusted the burrs as tight as it could go. It choked my Francis Francis X5. After some trial and error, I found a setting I liked = 1.5 oz in 25secs with 16g of coffee - using Klatch's Belle Espresso. The bitterness was gone and it was sweet and delicious.

I love this little grinder. The only downside is that my arms get tired when grinding, but for $40 to get results like that - NOT BAD!

No questions really, just wanted to comment that I've found it to be a fabulous manual grinder for espresso and would HIGHLY recommend it to someone starting out that is on a budget. I see alot of people post that they are starting out and can't afford to drop cash on a grinder. Well, this is a good interim solution IMHO.

EDIT DOH! Just saw this post . Should be posted in there.

-sherpakid

www.nobletreecoffee.com
 View Profile Link to this post
fwtechwiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Posted Fri May 14, 2010, 3:16pm
Subject: Re: Hario Skerton and Espresso

A tip when grinding with the Hario... It's all about leverage.  Keep it low, waist high.  Grasp the grinder body with your left hand, turn the crank with your right.  That way the force will not oppose your wrist and cause extra strain.  Put some rubber bands around the top of the glass to provide extra traction for gripping, it really helps!  (it helps to have large hands too.)  I'm thinking of using a large piece of velcro on the bottom to stabilize it to the counter also, but havent tried it yet.  The rubber piece that comes with it helps, but it's still not that stable.
Neill78

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vev Vigano stovetop Moka
Drip: $1.50 dripper
Roaster: Transcendcoffee.com
Posted Tue Jun 15, 2010, 8:15pm

I bought a Hario Skerton and it seems to produce a very uniform grind at the finer end, but I usually drink drip coffee or moka pot coffee, which requires a coarser grind. I've managed to get it decently coarse so that the coffee doesn't fall through the holes in the moka pot and the coffee tastes great, but the grind is not very uniform. The majority is small bits with a few large shards. No dust, though, which is good. I can't complain much. Especially since it was $25.

I was just wondering if you get the same results. I can post a photo if necessary.
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Tue Jun 15, 2010, 8:42pm

When grinding for espresso, the Skerton functions reasonably well. There is some definite variation in particle size, even to the naked eye, but it is good for the cost of the grinder. It is also true that the grind fluctuated wildly in the coarser settings. I'd say a moka grind is an achievable level for the Skerton, but if you want a good quality drip grind, you had best look elsewhere. Obviously this means press or other coarse grinds are pretty much out. These comments, however, are strictly in regard to the stock, unmodded Skerton. I believe, but have not tested, that a drive shaft stabilization mod (nylon tube fixed to the struts in the hopper, perhaps), could fix the grind fluctuations to a point. The burrs, in the end, just aren't all that sharp.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Neill78

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vev Vigano stovetop Moka
Drip: $1.50 dripper
Roaster: Transcendcoffee.com
Posted Wed Jun 16, 2010, 9:53am

Thanks for the reply. I see a topic about modding the Hario posted this morning. Since my coffee flavor is fine, which is the most important thing, I probably won't do the mod.  I've noticed that the majority of the larger bits are produced at the start and end of the grind, when the burrs aren't completely full of coffee. The inner burr on my hario doesn't line up exactly centre unless there is coffee between the burrs, so I guess the gap widens and allows some chunks out.

If Hario stabilized the centre burr to the frame on the bottom (with some plastic ribs just like on the top), it would probably fix the problem.

One more question: I've seen posts about the Kyocera hand grinder; does anyone know if the burrs are different than on the Hario? I looked at Hario and another brand (whose name I can't recall) while in Japan, and the burrs were identical. Hario is mainly a glass company, so they are likely sourcing the burrs from somewhere else, and Kyocera is a likely candidate.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Hario Skerton...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.220726966858)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+