Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Two Vario Grinders?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Two Vario...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
ginalola

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II; Pasquini...
Grinder: (2) Baratza Vario
Posted Tue May 11, 2010, 3:22pm
Subject: Two Vario Grinders?

I need a second grinder for decaf.  The Baratza Vario that I purchased last summer is great; its size and power is perfect.  So far, the Vario is working well with the Alex Duetto II that joined the family last month.

Is it crazy to buy another Vario just for decaf?  Suggestions?
 View Profile Link to this post
jammin
jammin

Grinder: Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: manual
Roaster: quest m3
Posted Tue May 11, 2010, 3:27pm
Subject: Re: Two Vario Grinders?

Have you tried single dosing with your Vario?  It takes too it quite well.  If you utilize a scale, you can get great dosing accuracy this way due to the low grind retention which translates to increased shot consistency.  Most importantly, in your case, you will be able ot change beans on the fly, not to mention, never again worry about beans drying out/going stale in the hopper.

~j

roast your own
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Tue May 11, 2010, 3:42pm

I'm a big fan of having 2 dedicated espresso grinders.  The ability to choose from two coffees is just so nice.  Unfortunately I'm down to one :(  At any rate, if it fits in the budget and you pull enough shots of decaf, I say not crazy at all!

jammin Said:

Have you tried single dosing with your Vario?  It takes too it quite well.  If you utilize a scale, you can get great dosing accuracy this way due to the low grind retention which translates to increased shot consistency.  Most importantly, in your case, you will be able ot change beans on the fly, not to mention, never again worry about beans drying out/going stale in the hopper.

Posted May 11, 2010 link

I have never used a Vario, but do you not still have to dial in the grind?  Do you not need to run some coffee through the burrs first?  If that's the case I'm certainly impressed but I'm wary that it just somehow "works".  I have nothing to offer other than my own experience, but a loaded hopper "seems" to work better.
ginalola

Posted Tue May 11, 2010, 3:51pm

I'm not clever enough to single dose;  I'm also lazy!
jammin
jammin

Posted Tue May 11, 2010, 4:16pm

Joel_B Said:

The ability to choose from two coffees is just so nice.

Posted May 11, 2010 link

With single dosing, you can change the coffee as often as you want.  I use this method with my K10 as well.  I find the b.vario requires more adjustment but if you know the beans it's quite trivial.  I've been running about 4 different coffee's daily for the last week.

roast your own
Joel_B
Joel_B

Posted Tue May 11, 2010, 4:26pm

jammin Said:

I find the b.vario requires more adjustment but if you know the beans it's quite trivial.  

Posted May 11, 2010 link

I could understand the steps of the vario taking out some of the hassle vs. stepless.  Are you saying zero beans need to be run through the grinder when switching beans?  Or perhaps what I'm really asking is that you need to run zero beans through when switching beans with different setting requirements?
ginalola

Posted Tue May 11, 2010, 4:41pm

I'm confused, too.  When I'm 'changing' beans (getting rid of what is invisible but still in the grinder) there's more than expected.  Then it seems that you kinda have to prime the empty grinder with the new beans.  What am I doing wrong?

I agree with having the hopper filled with a few beans more than you plan to use...seems to work better for me, too.
jammin
jammin

Posted Tue May 11, 2010, 5:02pm

Next time your hopper runs out, give single dosing a try.  

After running the grinder dry, load in one dose of beans.  Using a scale is ideal to get the dose precise.  You then just hit the manual button and run it till' dry.  The first time will be a learning experience with how the grinder grinds in this fashion and your first shot will probably be off.  Once you are adjusted, you're good.  When changing beans, obviously the first shot will be a bit off - so again, adjust but remember what it took(ie +3 micro clicks etc..).  Now to run the previous bean, back it off accordingly.   Make sense?

It's easy once you get rolling with it.  I was on the same trip about adding a second grinder until I used this method.  After that, I couldn't figure out why I would want another grinder.

In regards to flushing grounds/melanging flavors.  Everyone has their own degree of sensitivety to their palate, but the vario holds at very small amount of coffee in the chamber after letting it run "dry", er, until no more grounds fall out of the spout.

~j

roast your own
ginalola

Posted Tue May 11, 2010, 5:16pm

I don't own a scale....I never measure anything, and after doing this for 20+ years, I doubt if I'll begin now.  However, you seem to have a good method, and I could give it a 'visual' test-run.  Thanks for the info!
Joel_B
Joel_B

Posted Tue May 11, 2010, 5:17pm

jammin Said:

In regards to flushing grounds/melanging flavors.  Everyone has their own degree of sensitivety to their palate, but the vario holds at very small amount of coffee in the chamber after letting it run "dry", er, until no more grounds fall out of the spout.

Posted May 11, 2010 link

The minimal grind retention is one of the selling points of this grinder.  I'm not sure the small amount would be detected by my palate.  But again only speculation on my part.

jammin Said:

After running the grinder dry, load in one dose of beans.  Using a scale is ideal to get the dose precise.  You then just hit the manual button and run it till' dry.  The first time will be a learning experience with how the grinder grinds in this fashion and your first shot will probably be off.  Once you are adjusted, you're good.  When changing beans, obviously the first shot will be a bit off - so again, adjust but remember what it took(ie +3 micro clicks etc..).  Now to run the previous bean, back it off accordingly.   Make sense?

Posted May 11, 2010 link

sorta.  I understand the mechanics of single dosing and changing beans, but your description is still too vague to answer my question; which is:  

Joel_B Said:

Are you saying zero beans need to be run through the grinder when switching beans?  Or perhaps what I'm really asking is that you need to run zero beans through when switching beans with different setting requirements?

Posted May 11, 2010 link

You say when changing beans the first shot will be off.  Now, are you saying it's off everytime you go back to that bean?  or just when you don't know where the setting is?  For example, you say you're using 4 different beans.  Assuming you know the setting for each bean, can you do four back to back shots (1 of each bean) and each will turn out properly?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Two Vario...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.32749414444)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+