Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Hario Skeleton/Skerton mod for coarse grinds
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Hario...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
deanti

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun May 2, 2010, 4:46pm
Subject: Hario Skeleton/Skerton mod for coarse grinds

To preface this...I'm new here...if this is in the wrong section would a moderator please move it. Here's a modification I'm trying to get a more consistent coarse grind on my hario skerton.  Thanks to dh405 for help with the picture link.  Starting at the burr...I removed the nut holding the burr to the shaft. There is an o ring "under the nut" that will pop off when you pull the burr off the shaft. There is an o ring on the shaft at the top of the burr that needs to come off also.  All the parts are from Lowe's so I'd assume any Lowe's would carry them. The well nut and the spacers all had to be drilled out to fit the shaft. I didn't have the exact size drill bit, I don't have metric bits, so I drilled and sanded until I got a tight but easily sliding fit on the shaft.  At the bottom of the shaft, just above the burr, is the well nut that has had the lip that was on it cut off and the brass threads inside the well nut drilled and sanded to fit the shaft. Next are 3 8mm washers as suggested in a previous post just to take up some space. Next are 2 nylon spacer drilled/sanded and taped together will electrician's tape. The opening that the shaft fits in on the grinder widens toward the burr and I used the tape to tighten the fit.  Next is another spacer but this one was drilled/sanded to fit tightly but still spin over the section of the shaft with the larger diameter threads. This spacer ends up at the very top of the plastic assembly that the shaft inserts into. Assemble as shown.  I ripped the tiny o ring that was above the lock nut and did not replace it. I also reversed the lock nut so I could grip it easier with my small pliers.   The well nut is a softer rubber and that allows for some give in a vertical direction that the nylon spacers don't allow for.  Here the link to the picture...

http://www.smsdesign.net/forumpics/coffeegeek/image0002.jpg

I think it helped. If you try it let us know if it worked for you and if you can improve it please share that info.
 View Profile Link to this post
fwtechwiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Posted Tue May 4, 2010, 3:37pm
Subject: Re: Hario Skeleton/Skerton mod for coarse grinds

I'm currently going back and forth between the hario and the kyocera for a good espresso hand mill, leaning heavily towards the hario.  I doubt I will need this mod, since I will be grinding fine for espresso only, but I'll keep this in mind just in case.  Thanks
ffitzjerald

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jun 16, 2010, 12:53am
Subject: Re: Hario Skeleton/Skerton mod for coarse grinds

Can You upload a few more pictures of the mod?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Hario...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.186844110489)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+