Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Mazzer SJ Reassembly S.O.S.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer SJ...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
doubleOsoul
doubleOsoul
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra Epoque,3 MCals,...
Grinder: Mazzer, Cunill, Pede (s),...
Vac Pot: vintage
Drip: Nope...
Roaster: I hand roast
Posted Tue Feb 16, 2010, 10:51pm
Subject: Mazzer SJ Reassembly S.O.S.

Hi all,
Today I finally stopped being lazy and cleaned my Mazzer. It was disgusting - shame on me. Anyway, in order not to strip the thread I need to completely understand how to thread the collar back on.
My understanding is to start the thread clockwise - while pushing down on the inside collar (or whatever that's called) then once it catches, turn it counter clockwise. If it creates resistance early, then stop and start over again. Is that correct?
I tried to find a video on here or HB but couldn't find anything.
Thanks for all the help. I'm getting a blister from grinding beans on my PeDe grinder (lol).

Cheri
 View Profile Link to this post
Taranto

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Mazzer Super Luigi
Drip: Bodum Chambord
Posted Wed Feb 17, 2010, 12:44am
Subject: Re: Mazzer SJ Reassembly S.O.S.

Yes, mostly, be sure to apply pressure to the collar the entire time threading it. If you feel resistance it may be because you are applying alot of pressure and you are having the threads rubbing, or not enough pressure and the spring is causing the threads to rub. That is okay, the threads are super beefy, there is no way you could damage the threads so bad that it will cross thread without tools. That means you should only be using your own body's strength. Just give it a shot. If you get to a point you cannot thread it further, it may be trying cross threading so back it out and try it again. Also, once you thread it one thread on the collar and it is going smoothly, it is threading fine so you got it!
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Feb 17, 2010, 5:39am

doubleOsoul Said:

My understanding is to start the thread clockwise - while pushing down on the inside collar (or whatever that's called) then once it catches, turn it counter clockwise. If it creates resistance early, then stop and start over again. Is that correct?

Posted February 16, 2010 link

yes, that is a good way to go

Contrary to the previous post - I would say that the threads are not really beefy at all.  They are fine threads for making precise adjustments.  The procedure you describe is a careful way to avoid damaging the threads.  

Make sure the threads are clean and free from debris and coffee grime.  It is OK to apply a very small amount of foodsafe grease to the threads but use it sparingly and only at the bottom 1/3-1/2 of the carrier threads (it will spread to the top itself)

Press down so the top threads touch but are not yet engaged.  The rotate counterclockwise clockwise until you feel the top thread slip over the edge (this action sets you up to engage the threads evenly).  At this moment, change direction in a smooth motion while still pressing down and rotate counterclockwise to engage the threads.  

The burr carrier will have resistance from the springs but it should still rotate smoothly and evenly.  If it feels like it is getting stuck then back out and inspect the threads to make sure there is no coffee grinds or other stuff in there.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kschendel

Grinder: Maestro
Roaster: Freshroast
Posted Wed Feb 17, 2010, 6:57am

JonR10 Said:

...Press down so the top threads touch but are not yet engaged.  Then rotate counterclockwise ...

Posted February 17, 2010 link

Uh, did you mean clockwise?  Clockwise until the thread slips over the edge, then counterclockwise to thread?
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Wed Feb 17, 2010, 7:03am

kschendel Said:

Uh, did you mean clockwise?  Clockwise until the thread slips over the edge, then counterclockwise to thread?

It's "left hand" threaded.  Counterclockwise to thread is correct.
JonR10
JonR10

Posted Wed Feb 17, 2010, 8:44am

kschendel Said:

Yes - you're correct.  Thanks for catching my error.  ;-)
Post corrected above.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
doubleOsoul
doubleOsoul
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra Epoque,3 MCals,...
Grinder: Mazzer, Cunill, Pede (s),...
Vac Pot: vintage
Drip: Nope...
Roaster: I hand roast
Posted Wed Feb 17, 2010, 4:10pm

Jon, Thanks. Your instructions are clear and appreciated.

Exactly: the threads are not beefy, thus my apprehension to rotate with a heavy hand. I make a home made furniture polish that's beeswax based (and can be used as chapstick too!) so I added a tich (Canadian term) to the threads and wiped off most of it so as not to over lubricate.

Cool, thanks:)

Go Team Canada!
Taranto

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Mazzer Super Luigi
Drip: Bodum Chambord
Posted Wed Feb 17, 2010, 4:22pm

Uh, well, I've never cross threaded the collar and being how the threads are very well machined and as large as they are, I think it would be very difficult to cross thread with out trying to. There is going to be resistance from your force and the springs bu think of it like cross threading a clean bolt and nut to the point of damaging it, its very tough to do with your hand strength (easy with tools). But now we are talking about some very large threads, I seriously would like to see some one cross thread it to the point of damage on ACCIDENT.
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Wed Feb 17, 2010, 4:49pm

Taranto Said:

I think it would be very difficult to cross thread with out trying to.

I think so too. Has anyone ever managed to cross threaded a Mazzer? If so, I'd like to hear about it.
JonR10
JonR10

Posted Wed Feb 17, 2010, 7:10pm

Taranto Said:

I seriously would like to see some one cross thread it to the point of damage on ACCIDENT.

I beg to differ.  Have a closer look - the thread tips are very fine with pretty close tolerances clearances (perhaps to help minimize the backlash).  You don't need to fully cross over a thread to damage it, all you need to do is ding the thread tip and the raised metal can gall into the adjoining metal as you tighten in and get stuck like you wouldn't believe.  

THEN you certainly will need tools to remove it.  

Endo Said:

I think so too. Has anyone ever managed to cross threaded a Mazzer? If so, I'd like to hear about it.

"Rebuilt Super Jolly - New bearings, fresh burrs, new paint - 225 sold"
That was a recent BST post for a Mazzer with damaged threads.  SADLY the seller removed the text about it after the item sold, but here is a comment to confirm in case you doubt it: CLICK  

If you think that the threads on a Mazzer burr carrier are "beefy" then you might want to read up about machine elements to learn more about thread forms for fasteners, power screws, and positioners.  

If you want to see what I would call beefy threads then check this out CLICK HERE and then CLICK HERE

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer SJ...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.369714021683)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+