Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 54 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Jan 11, 2010, 8:51am
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

germantownrob Said:

I have copied and pasted the directions in a note so I will be able to keep it posted in this thread every few pages. I thought I had done this before but I must have only got to "that would be a good idea to do".

Posted January 11, 2010 link

Same here.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
uranium
uranium
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Elektra A3, Europiccola
Grinder: Ditting Vario, Eureka...
Drip: Beehouse
Roaster: USRC 1 Lb
Posted Mon Jan 11, 2010, 6:36pm

boyscout Said:

uranium, hope this isn't offensive but you have noticed the hook at the top, right?  And adjusted the fork to the correct height so that you can tip your portafilter into the fork and latch its forward lip under the hook?

Vertically, it's already adjusted to a perfect height. I'am just wandering if a simple bend would prevent it from sliding sideways. But like you I fear that it may be too brittle to bend. The problem is more on the rounded bottom of Elektra portafilter which makes it slippery as it sits on the fork.
 View Profile Link to this post
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Mon Jan 11, 2010, 8:04pm

Grenfell Said:

A Vario question - is it easier/advised to get the new board (with the sleep/memory updates) right from Baratza or from the vendor?  I don't think my vendor will have the updated board...

Posted January 6, 2010 link

i ordered my new board from chris's coffee today. $20 + $9.95 shipping.  i think the shipping's a little steep, but they are a first class operation, worthy of our support.

-peter
Spitz
Spitz

Espresso: VBM DD v3
Grinder: Compak K10 PB
Vac Pot: Hario Vac
Drip: 8c Chemex, Hario Hand-Drip,...
Roaster: Hottop P
Posted Mon Jan 11, 2010, 9:30pm

I'm going to be taking my Vario in for replacing or service and I haven't even had it for a month.  It doesn't lock in at finer grinds and I have to 'settle' for whatever it'll lock into which can be as ridiculous as 3 from the top on the macro and 2 from the top on the micro as the finest grind I can get and there's no way that is appropriate.  I should be able to grind at the finest possible with the macro/micro on the finest.  Maybe it's my fault for not 'seasoning' the grinder properly?  Did I inappropriately adjust a slider while in use that has led to instability issues?  Is there a reason why my burrs 'clank' on the finest setting?  I feel like I got such a lemon that it's so frustrating, it's not a cheap piece of hardware.... it's really frustrating that I have to now get it 'serviced unless they decide to just replace it' as per the help staff at the merchant Green Beanery in Toronto.  It's been less than 30 days!
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Jan 11, 2010, 10:54pm

Tony,
I think I know what may be causing your problem with the Macro lever.
If you have 15-20 minutes, a very small slotted screw driver, and a can of propellent oxygen maybe we can get your Vario up to speed.

First,  grind whatever is left in the hopper till empty. Lower both levers to the bottom, and wok them up and down gently.
Next, unplug the Vario, twist off the hopper, remove the upper burr and set it aside for now.

With your little screw driver, remove the screws from the lower burr, and remove the lower burr.
Use the wire brush that came with your Vario to clean all surfaces inside.
GENTLY, turn the grinder upside down and spank her...GENTLY! just to get out the loose stale grind.

Attaching the (usually)thin red nozzle to compressed air can, spray at a distance of 4-5 inches, including directly through the spout from the inside of the grinder, not outside to in. You should also (at a distance,spay some air into the lever sliding area, while working the levers up and down.
You'll notice that with the grinder apart, the Macro slides easily to the top with no resistance 2-3 notches from the top.
The inside should hopefully be nice and clean.

Now use the wire brush and give both burrs, including the sides a good cleaning.

OK, now replace the bottom burr, making sure to tighten down well.
Now replace the upper burr, making sure you hear at least one, if not 2 clicks when you snap it in. Turn the burr holder counter clockwise till it has slid into proper position.

OK....NOW move your Macro up and down. It should move freely, with no resistance at or near the top.
Set the Macro to 2 notches below the top, the Micro lever to 4-5 notches up from the bottom.

IF this hasn't solved your problem, you just may have a problem with the lever mechanism.
This is very unusual, but stuff happens.

Trust me, Baratza will do everything to make it right, even if your vendor has a problem, which they shouldn't.

Just curious,what is the serial # at the bottom of the grinder?

Please post back and let us know if you're good to go!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
minimalist

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Super Jolly / Kitchenaid
Drip: Moccamaster
Posted Tue Jan 12, 2010, 10:57am

Hello. Very close to taking the plunge. Someone mentioned Chris' has 10% off? Is this still on? Do I need a code? thank you
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Jan 12, 2010, 11:06am

Sorry, but is it too much trouble to go to Chris' Coffee Service yourself?

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
SpeedStar
SpeedStar

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer Mini
Drip: Aeropress, Cuisinart
Posted Tue Jan 12, 2010, 11:16am

dagoat Said:

i ordered my new board from chris's coffee today. $20 + $9.95 shipping.  i think the shipping's a little steep, but they are a first class operation, worthy of our support.

-peter

Chris offers free shipping with a $50 purchase.  I took advantage of this for my board order with some gaskets and other items.
minimalist

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Super Jolly / Kitchenaid
Drip: Moccamaster
Posted Tue Jan 12, 2010, 11:18am

I certainly did go there and can find no evidence of the discount. Thought I would try to get the code or whatever here and see if it still worked. Sorry for any trouble.
jammin
jammin

Grinder: Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: manual
Roaster: quest m3
Posted Tue Jan 12, 2010, 11:29am

minimalist Said:

I certainly did go there and can find no evidence of the discount. Thought I would try to get the code or whatever here and see if it still worked. Sorry for any trouble.

Posted January 12, 2010 link

call them and ask.  it is not advertised on the site.

roast your own
showing page 54 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.356490135193)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+