Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 51 of 197 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Whale
Whale
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi II, MCal,...
Grinder: MXKR, Major, Mythos, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex
Drip: Press only, I don't do drip!...
Roaster: Cafemino E and Poppery 1
Posted Thu Jan 7, 2010, 5:53am
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

orphanespresso Said:

You can purchase the Vario update board separately from many places, including us - it's pretty easy to install, and we have a photo/how to for doing it on our website.  The memory function is GREAT if you're power goes out, or you accidently unplug the grinder!

Posted January 7, 2010 link

While, we are at it, I must say that the Orphan espresso photo-instruction page is just "fantastic". It covers the replacement from all angles and makes it easy for anyone. Great job!

doox00 Said:

some beans are better than others, I have tried 6-8 different espresso blends so far.  I have the yogurt cup thinger I use in my portafilter to keep the spraying to a minimum.

Posted January 6, 2010 link

It also has been my experience that the B-Vario is bean sensitive on that aspect. The dry air surely doesn't help and just aggravates the problem.

I am spending a lot of my thinking time into trying to find an elegant solution for the static issue that I have because I love the grinder and  love the beans that are so "staticky".

The best idea that I have found so far is to use a conductive metal funnel (instead of the proverbial yogurt cup) in the P/F that is wired to the ground pin of the grinder. I am posting this tentatively because my B-Vario is temporarly disabled and I cannot experiment on this further. but it might be helpful to someone right now.
 View Profile Link to this post
Grenfell

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Ubiquitous Cuisinart
Posted Thu Jan 7, 2010, 6:51am

orphanespresso Said:

You can purchase the Vario update board separately from many places, including us - it's pretty easy to install, and we have a photo/how to for doing it on our website.  The memory function is GREAT if you're power goes out, or you accidently unplug the grinder!

Thank you, and an excellent write-up for the installation.  If my vendor in Canada does not have it, I will order from you (you do mention you ship internationally - i.e. to Canada?).
SpeedStar
SpeedStar

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer Mini
Drip: Aeropress, Cuisinart
Posted Thu Jan 7, 2010, 8:22am

I had some issues with static when I first got mine.  I use a bottomless with yogurt cup.  

My fix was to ground the PF fork.  The hook at the back is grounded to the thin metal strip at the back of the plastic bin by way of the screw that holds the hook in place.  The fork is not grounded though.  I used some guitar string to connect the hook and the fork so it is all grounded, and adjusted the height of my fork so I am in contact with the fork, wire and hook with my yogurt cup filling the entire void so no grounds can get out.

I had to flip the fork to get the needed space for my setup and also bent the hook inward to allow the entire cup to fit under the spout.

I also made a stainless funnel out of a measuring scoop.  Put a lot of work into it and the fit is perfect but the yogurt cup work just as good once the parts were all grounded.  YMMV.

Works great for me.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Whale
Whale

Posted Thu Jan 7, 2010, 10:07am

Clad it works for you.

I remove the fork as it was not holding the P/F to my liking and does not allow enough freedom of movement. This is not a B-Vario thing. I always removed the P/F fork from all grinders that I have owned. I find them more annoying than useful.

I still use the upper hook for gross positioning and for the grounding although it is not achieving the full benefit I am sure that it helps a bit.
johnnyboy5

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Jan 7, 2010, 11:57am

That's the one thing I dislike about my Vario.  The fork was so useless that I have taken to grinding into the supplied basket, and then pouring the grinds into my PF.  Much neater that way, although I really wish I could grind directly into the PF.  The yogurt cup thing doesn't do it for me either.  Waiting for Espressoparts to make a 53mm funnel collar for Vivaldi II PF.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Jan 7, 2010, 2:27pm

johnnyboy5 Said:

That's the one thing I dislike about my Vario.  The fork was so useless that I have taken to grinding into the supplied basket, and then pouring the grinds into my PF.  Much neater that way, although I really wish I could grind directly into the PF.  The yogurt cup thing doesn't do it for me either.  Waiting for Espressoparts to make a 53mm funnel collar for Vivaldi II PF.

You can get a 53mm size funnel at Orphan Espresso

click here

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
Whale
Whale

Posted Thu Jan 7, 2010, 3:57pm

Robert, correct me if I am wrong but I couldn't find a 53mm funnel at Orphan, or anywhere else for that matter.

Not that I could not make one but I really do not have the time for it these day.
espressoaddict

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 (Primary)...
Grinder: Baratza Vario 2009 and...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Melitta Single Cup, Bodum...
Posted Thu Jan 7, 2010, 4:53pm

Thought about using the yogurt cup to help minimize the grounds spilling into the coffee container and counter.  However, I wanted to eliminate the yogurt cup completely as an additional step in my routine.  Plus it looks second rate on the counter, although does wonders for WDT.  

Even if I were to use the yogurt cup, it would require adjusting the fork position to accommodate the extra height.   I'm not going to do this anyway, but should note that if I did this adjustment, it wouldn't provide enough clearance for my single spout.  It would just hit the bottom container.

For what the Vario offers in performance and convenience, I'm willing to not worry about those extra grinds spilling.

Here is what I did and how I use my Vario.

1. Purchased a 9 in x 6 in x 2 in square plastic container named Made Smart from Target which can be found in their housewares section.   This container is not only inexpensive, but provides many benefits.  (See the photo below where my Vario rests)
    • Helps protect the grinder from sliding objects at the base from nicking the body.  The under carriage is protected on the counter from moisture and unexpected spills.
    • The front of the container helps collect spent grounds that may wind up on the counter.  Container can easily be removed and rinsed at the end of the day or easily vacuumed using a ShopVac. Personally, just vacuum it daily, when the stains get really problematic, I just wash the container with soap and water.
    • Less stress is placed on the Vario's soft rubber feet -- prolonging the life of those feet because the Vario can now easily be moved sideways with forward and back motion.  Typically, would lift the entire body when either cleaning the grinder or etc.  Now it moves forward and back with ease.
    • Lastly serves as a convenient way to store your barista tools (like featured in the photo).
      No complaints from me on the mess.   Keep in mind, the picture below was taken today after pulling about 6 double shots of Espresso.  Still that mess you see in the photo is very minimal to my expectations.

Providing a video of my Vario in action for those curious to see how easy it is to dose and eliminate the WDT. Note I will hit the preset time for Espresso prior to dosing.  The timed feature helps save extra coffee.  I timed it to provide extra just in case.  Although optional, if I'm in a hurry I'll level using a chopstick, but most of the times just level as shown and tamp.

espressoaddict: vario3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Jan 7, 2010, 5:32pm

Whale Said:

Robert, correct me if I am wrong but I couldn't find a 53mm funnel at Orphan, or anywhere else for that matter.

Not that I could not make one but I really do not have the time for it these day.

I thought he had his tall aluminum funnel in 53mm...maybe not.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
Whale
Whale

Posted Thu Jan 7, 2010, 9:02pm

To be honest I have searched there site and couldn't find the tall aluminium funnels anymore... When you mentionned it, that is what I went for to no avail...
showing page 51 of 197 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.36798620224)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+