Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 48 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Jan 2, 2010, 2:45pm
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

espressoaddict Said:

Can new owners using the units shipped post November 2009, comment if you are content with the maximum particle size for French Press?

Posted January 2, 2010 link

Of course!!!
Wow, all the way to the bottom?
Where are you again for espresso? Just curious.

The first edition of Vario's had only the 2.5mm adjustment allen screw located under the grommet.
Still, and owner of that generation Vario should be able to get every bit as good a grind as the current model.
I know this, as I've had both in my kitchen.
The addition of the new 2mm screw just makes any adjustment a little bit easier to dial in.
I believe Baratza has set the adjustment screw/slider under the grommet just barely to the fine side, and the 2mm set screw helps to adjust from there.

If 'm wrong regarding this KYLE, please correct me!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
espressoaddict

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 (Primary)...
Grinder: Baratza Vario 2009 and...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Melitta Single Cup, Bodum...
Posted Sat Jan 2, 2010, 3:57pm

IMAWriter Said:

Of course!!!
Wow, all the way to the bottom?
Where are you again for espresso? Just curious.

Posted January 2, 2010 link

Yes, all the way down.  Honestly, I was expecting a larger particle size that I'm used to when comparing on my older Rocky grinder.

For Espresso, it will vary depending on the age of the bean and blend I'm using, but for example for a few blends including a decaf blend here are three general ranges I've used.

Espresso Blend 1
Macro Setting: ESP - Max position
Micro Setting: Typically in the mid-point and move + and - to fine-tune

Espresso Blend 1
Macro Setting: ESP - 1 click down
Micro Setting: Typically in the mid-point and move + and - to fine-tune

Decaf Espresso Blend 1 (If heard decaf requires a finer setting than caffeinated beans)
Macro Setting: ESP - Max position
Micro Setting: 2 clicks up from the bottom most setting

FYI - The VARIO has completely eliminated the WDT technique from my daily preparation.  I now just time my dose with slightly enough grinds to fill the entire surface with coffee.  There is about ~.2 grams of excess that is wasted.  Clumping seems practically non-existent and the grinds appear fluffy with no static. In fact, I can just easily wiggle the portafilter side to side.  The grounds are so lose they just perfectly level in the basket.  I just my WDT chopstick to level and wipe the excess grounds, then tamp.  The Vario just makes the preparation seemingly easier and eliminates additional steps like make the WDT obsolete.
 View Profile Link to this post
Spitz
Spitz

Espresso: VBM DD v3
Grinder: Compak K10 PB
Vac Pot: Hario Vac
Drip: 8c Chemex, Hario Hand-Drip,...
Roaster: Hottop P
Posted Mon Jan 4, 2010, 6:12am

Excuse me if this has been asked before, but my lcd does go off sometimes. It doesn't stop counting, the LCD just goes blank.  Also, is it just the ticks inside the "boxes" that the sliders can move within or should the borders of the "box" also count as ticks because mine don't stay up there and slide down very quicly mid-grind.  I don't know why, but I was assuming they counted as ticks.

Should I be returning this Vario to the merchant? Also, how can I tell if this is the updated version of the Vario with the new internals? I bought this December 13th under that pretense for 20 dollars more.

Thank you!!!
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Mon Jan 4, 2010, 7:22am

Spitz Said:

Excuse me if this has been asked before, but my lcd does go off sometimes. It doesn't stop counting, the LCD just goes blank.  Also, is it just the ticks inside the "boxes" that the sliders can move within or should the borders of the "box" also count as ticks because mine don't stay up there and slide down very quicly mid-grind.  I don't know why, but I was assuming they counted as ticks.

Should I be returning this Vario to the merchant? Also, how can I tell if this is the updated version of the Vario with the new internals? I bought this December 13th under that pretense for 20 dollars more.

Thank you!!!

Posted January 4, 2010 link

First off, I think "pretense" indicates someone deliberately trying to hoodwink you..LOL
I think "under the assumption" might be a wee bit better.
With that out of the way, If you paid the extra $20, that indicates you have the latest display installed.

I'd contact the vendor, and explain the problem(s).
In fact, to ALL reading this, ALWAYS contact your vendor first, even before posting here, as there's nothing anyone (save Kyle) can do here.
If your vendor is unresponsive (which I would seriously doubt), contact Baratza directly. They have awesome CS.

To answer your question regarding the levers, they are designed to fit within the individual grooves, and remain there during the grinding process.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
Spitz
Spitz

Espresso: VBM DD v3
Grinder: Compak K10 PB
Vac Pot: Hario Vac
Drip: 8c Chemex, Hario Hand-Drip,...
Roaster: Hottop P
Posted Mon Jan 4, 2010, 9:41am

IMAWriter Said:

First off, I think "pretense" indicates someone deliberately trying to hoodwink you..LOL
I think "under the assumption" might be a wee bit better.
With that out of the way, If you paid the extra $20, that indicates you have the latest display installed.

I'd contact the vendor, and explain the problem(s).
In fact, to ALL reading this, ALWAYS contact your vendor first, even before posting here, as there's nothing anyone (save Kyle) can do here.
If your vendor is unresponsive (which I would seriously doubt), contact Baratza directly. They have awesome CS.

To answer your question regarding the levers, they are designed to fit within the individual grooves, and remain there during the grinding process.

Ok lol thanks for the clarification. Also, I will speak with them about the LCD. However, I'm asking if they should align with the box ends.  You know how they border the ticks for the slider?  Should you be able to keep the slider on the box? So, RIGHT below where it says ESPRESSO, not the TICK, but the border line.
boredatwork

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jan 4, 2010, 5:59pm

This is somewhat off a tangent to the "discussion" on this thread, but I wanted to suggest one way of dealing with the messiness of the Vario.  

I have a 57mm portafilter.  I tried ordering a 58mm collar from Orphan Espresso but it didn't fit and after a few minutes of futile effort trying to grind the collar down I tried a new technique - and it is actually something I read on the Orphan Espresso website.  

Basically you split the grind time into equal parts.  For example I use 11s timer to grind my full dose.  Now I grind twice in 5.5s intervals.  After the first 5.5s I shake the portafilter to allow the grinds to settle down, then do the next 5.5s.  Also, I took out the portafilter holder  (since my portafilter never fit on it anyway).  This allows me to hold the portafilter further down from the grind chute so I can watch the grinds as they come out of the chute and move the portafilter around so that the poratfilter fills up evenly rather than one big mound in the middle of the portafilter.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Jan 4, 2010, 7:39pm

boredatwork Said:

This is somewhat off a tangent to the "discussion" on this thread, but I wanted to suggest one way of dealing with the messiness of the Vario.

I don't find it messy at all.  Indeed, it's actually neater than my Mahlkönig K30 Vario . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
jammin
jammin
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: manual
Roaster: quest m3
Posted Mon Jan 4, 2010, 8:57pm

I am a little confused with all the changes being made to the Vario.

Can someone please square me away with the timeline?

it sounds like the unites being sold now have the new board with memory - is this true?

Also - is it true that a few other improvements to the machine will be released, especially to the spout?

What about price - is thing going to change with the updates as well?

I am in the process of buying and am curious what I should do in regards to all these changes.

Thanks in advance for the help,

~Jackson

roast your own
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Mon Jan 4, 2010, 9:25pm

Any machines built prior to around December can purchase the new lcd electronics with memory save. It's $20 and is self install, or your dealer can do it.
I believe all the new machines have it already installed. The prices may be $20 more to defray the cost, which, I believe is more than Baratza is charging.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
jimdbird

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rancilio L7
Grinder: K10 WBC, Gautemala, B-Vario
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Technivorm / Chemex
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Jan 4, 2010, 10:52pm

jammin Said:

I am a little confused with all the changes being made to the Vario.

Can someone please square me away with the timeline?

The following is a copy past quote from Kyra (Baratza), in this thread at HB.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

"There has been a lot of talk in the forums about upcoming Vario upgrades. I hope this post clears up any confusion.

In December 2008, Mahlkönig introduced the Vario Home (230V). Due to specific European electrical standards, they chose to stop sales of the Vario until changes were made to the motor and internal circuit board. In October 2009, Mahlkönig re-introduced the Vario Home with the following upgrades:
  1. Redesign of the grounds chute to reduce spraying.
  2. Better support system for the Portaholder.
  3. Improvements to the micro adjustment lever
  4. Memory, so that the programmable setting would not be lost when the grinder is unplugged.
  5. Sleep mode feature.

In February 2009, Baratza introduced the Vario to the US and Canada markets. Improvements have been made to the Baratza Vario throughout 2009. The Baratza Vario (since serial No 270) includes upgrades 1, 2, and 3. Baratza will be introducing the memory and sleep feature in March 2010. At that time the price for the Baratza Vario will increase by $20.

The Memory and Sleep upgrade is fully contained in the front display panel. Baratza and Baratza resellers will be making the new display panel available to all Vario owners for $20. It is simple to change the display panel. It takes about 3 minutes and requires a Phillips screwdriver. The new boards will be available December 21.
In other words, after the new display board is installed, all US Vario's (after serial # 270) will have all the upgrades announced by Mahlkönig."
showing page 48 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.358492136002)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+