Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Just picked up 4yr old Laranzato Me2 with Espressa K1 grinder
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Just picked up...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
vlad0002

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Dec 7, 2009, 2:36pm
Subject: Just picked up 4yr old Laranzato Me2 with Espressa K1 grinder

Hi all,

I'm new here. Wonderful place -- so much to learn...

I was recently looking around to upgrade my KitchenAid Pro Espresso maker and KitchenAid Pro grinder. Thought about a lever machine -- something different. Price range -- $400-700. However, yesterday I litterally stumbled across an interesting (and, I think, good) deal. A family coffee shop closed it's doors. The owner's son was selling their 4yr old Laranzato Me2 with Espressa K1 grinder. Price? $500. Everything works great, not abused (per him). The machine is state-of-the-art, bought 4 yrs ago for $5000, 2 group, 220 Volts and comes with seperate water filtration system. It's definately too much of a machine for a home use, but I just could not pass it up. I think the grinder alone retails for that... I figured, worse comes to worse -- I'll sell it . But first, I want to give it a try, I think?

I have not found much here, as far as review go, about the machine or the grinder.  And in general on the web, both Laranzato and Espressa are only mentioned in professional/restaurant discussion context. Any opinions/history/thoughts will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Vlad

vlad0002: espresso.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Dec 7, 2009, 2:54pm
Subject: Re: Just picked up 4yr old Laranzato Me2 with Espressa K1 grinder

Welcome and NO it IS NOT too much of a machine for a home!

Very nice buy! If you have the room for it (MAKE THE ROOM!) set it up and use it!

Even if this means that you need to call out an electrican to run the 220 V line, you would be well pleased. You couldn't touch anything near the quality for 3X as much and they gave you a free grinder to boot!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
davethebrewguy
davethebrewguy

Espresso: Fiorenzato Bricoletta,...
Grinder: Compak K-6, Baratza Maestro...
Drip: Saeco Renaissance
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Dec 7, 2009, 3:43pm

Espressa grinders are mostly rebadged Compak grinders. There are two models called K-1, the Espressa K-1/ 6.4 is a rebadged Compak K-6 and the K-1/8.0 is a rebadged K-8. Nice find, the grinder alone usually goes for $300-400 in good condition.If you decide that the machine is too large for your space I'm sure you could sell it alone for way more than you paid for the pair and you'd have a very nice grinder and a healthy profit.
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Mon Dec 7, 2009, 6:33pm

Very nice!

Here is the great news.

REGARDLESS of what you do with the machine. . .
-You've got a GREAT grinder.

IMO, open the up machine, and investigate.  Does it need a frame off cleaning?  Or just descale?  I would think about replacing the easy stuff; Grouphead Gaskets and Screens, O-Rings on the Steam Wand things like that.  

Run yourself a 220v, plumb her in, and get to makin some 'spro

It IS a commercial HX, but, according to 1stline's website, its got the E-61. . so, flushing shouldn't be hard to manage.

And Wayne is right... once you get used to it, you wont be able to go back down.  Especially steam power(among other things).  when you can steam 8oz of milk in 10 seconds,well, lets just say you wont ever use a prosumer machine to steam milk ever again.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
workinghard4smallrewards

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (used) and...
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: ...I stopped using it
Roaster: Various companies
Posted Mon Dec 7, 2009, 8:40pm

Dude, I swear this is just about the exact same et up I was looking at on craigslist! Congratulations, I made a bid at the grinder but my guy wont split them yet! Though he wants 1350 for it, so still not nearly as nice! If you want the link email me and you can check it out. Southeast US.
truemagellen

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio S20 Midi DE
Grinder: Compak K8 Silenzio
Posted Tue Dec 8, 2009, 12:24am

I saw that one on CL too.  The left group head is broken.  If you aren't interested in tearing it apart to repair it the best Espresso repair/maintainence company in minnesota is ESI in St. Louis Park I'm told.  They reconditioned my neighbor's Elektra and even plumbed it in with filtration.  http://www.espresso-services.com/

Keep us posted how this one turns out...if you decide you bit off more than you can chew message me...I'd consider purchasing ME2, I dont need the grinder.

-J
vlad0002

Posted Tue Dec 8, 2009, 7:54am

Thank you very much, guys, for your comments. I am seriously thinking about keeping the beast. I found the place and it turns out we do have 220V -- for the electric stove. Now need a splitter/extension, although manual does not recommend it. The water filter that came with it will probably be of no use, as we have Culligan reverse osmosis purification system installed in our house. We have well water, so chlorine is of no consern. Now need to figure out the way to tap into plastic line coming from the Culligan filtration system. The machine does not need a pipe-level pressure, does it?

Got some more info on the unit. Apparently it was installed in a sandwich shop, where the owner decided to diversify into coffee. It never took off, so the machine was making about 8 espressos a week, very little use. This was on CL, correct. The head turned out to be not really broken -- just a gasket with a perforated screen fell off and probably needs a replacement if you don't want to manually put and hold it in each time you use it.

You mentioned replacing the "easy stuff" gaskets and such. Is there some sort of a guide on what exactly can be replaced? I am pretty handy with things and can usually figure 'em out. Will the stuff that should be replaced become obviouse once I start taking the machine apart?

The unit is fairly clean. I did not see any significant calcium deposits. It was taken offline just a week ago. Still, a decalcification is probably a good idea. What's a good way to run troutine with a commercial unit like this?

Any pointers would be also much appreciated.

Thanks.

Vlad
GOZER
GOZER

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 HX Fullauto
Grinder: Ascaso I/2 Braun whirly...
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Bodum French Press Cuisinart...
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Dec 8, 2009, 8:15am

Hey great score. I just want to tell you you shouldn't tap into you stove electrical circuit. 1] you won't be able to use the stove and the espresso machine at the same time, it most likely will trip the breaker or blow the fuse.

2] If it doesn't trip the breaker it could be pulling a maximum load for your electrical wires themselves, which, however slim the chance might be, start a fire.

Please don't do that. Run, or have run by an electrician, a dedicated 220 line for the espresso machine.

I am not posting to stir up fear mongering, I am posting from a somewhat Knowledgeable position, I build Homes for a living and have to check the electrical loads for everything before we can build.

I typically leave 8 breaker spaces minimum for future expansion in a 200amp service.

Safety first, Coffee/Espresso 2nd.

GOZER
vlad0002

Posted Tue Dec 8, 2009, 9:08am

Thanks, Gozer. I found a dedicated 220 outlet on the other side of the wall, in Laundary room. Will probably need to cut through and use an extension cord, but I'll figure it out.

Thanks.

Vlad
truemagellen

Espresso: Rancilio S20 Midi DE
Grinder: Compak K8 Silenzio
Posted Tue Dec 8, 2009, 9:55am

You can't split the 220s that are running in your house safely.  The 220s you are referring to are high amp and one wrong move won't give you a painful shock it will just kill you instantly.  Plus extension cords for higher amp 220s are expensive...almost the cost of having a low priced electrician come in and put  outlet for it, plus then there will be a breaker properly sized for it so if there is an overload it will cut power....if you have it plugged into a 50amp 220 it will not break since it will never draw that kind of power.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Just picked up...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.447478055954)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+