Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
OE Aluminum Portafilter Dosing Funnel
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > OE Aluminum...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
avaserfi

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Posted Fri Dec 4, 2009, 8:44am
Subject: OE Aluminum Portafilter Dosing Funnel

I am looking for a solution to spilling grounds everywhere when grinding into my portafilter from my Cunill Tranquilo and a way to get a larger, better dose. Due to this it seems a good funnel would allow me to use the WDT and prevent spilling. I found the OE dosing funnel, but it is kind of pricey. Does anyone know of another less expensive solution that might work? I tried searching and came up with a yogurt cup, but I don't think that would fit too well with my grinder as the chute and portafilter holder are not adjustable. Also, does anyone with the OE funnel have any comments about it and/or know if it will fit under the chute of a Tranquilo or the dimensions when inserted in a 58mm porta?

Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
Derrick

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee Deluxe
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: Never tried one?
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: For my next Birthday :-)
Posted Fri Dec 4, 2009, 8:52am
Subject: Re: OE Aluminum Portafilter Dosing Funnel

I use the yogurt cup method with my doserless Rocky.  I have seen the funnels you are talking about on OE, but agree that thay are a little pricey for what they are.

Why not use the Yogurt cup method but also cut the top of the yogurt cup so that it is short enough to allow your portafilter and yogurt cup to fit under your doser?  The OE funnels look to be about 3/4 in. tall above the portafilter, maybe a little taller.  All you need is something to keep the grounds from falling over the side until you can get it over your knock-box to level things out.

Derrick
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Fri Dec 4, 2009, 5:12pm

Look at the canning funnels in this string:

"I civilized my Rocky"

Both the cut funnel and the unmodified one came from Sur La Table (SP?). I do not remember the brand but they are stainless steel and fit like they were designed for a 58mm filter. I think they are about $10.

Metal is prefered to plastic as it conducts away the static.

Phil

avaserfi Said:

I am looking for a solution to spilling grounds everywhere when grinding into my portafilter from my Cunill Tranquilo and a way to get a larger, better dose. Due to this it seems a good funnel would allow me to use the WDT and prevent spilling. I found the OE dosing funnel, but it is kind of pricey. Does anyone know of another less expensive solution that might work? I tried searching and came up with a yogurt cup, but I don't think that would fit too well with my grinder as the chute and portafilter holder are not adjustable. Also, does anyone with the OE funnel have any comments about it and/or know if it will fit under the chute of a Tranquilo or the dimensions when inserted in a 58mm porta?

Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com)

Posted December 4, 2009 link

Philip J. Keleshian
mute

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Bodum French Press
Posted Fri Dec 4, 2009, 11:04pm

I used a yogurt container for a long time with my Rancilio PFs, and was always annoyed at how tall it was, and how sloppy it was in general. It always had grounds stuck to it, and it looked pretty ghetto.

Couple of weeks ago I was buying some Nuova Point cups from Orphan Espresso and stumbled upon those funnels, and knew I had to have one. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now, and really like it. I thought it wouldn't be as effective as a yogurt container, but my Rocky doesn't really spray grinds everywhere, and I've found that it's just wide enough to make dosing quick and easy.

So far, I'm a big fan. It was a little pricey for what it was (2 cents of aluminum), but not everyone has a CNC machine at home.
PJK
PJK

Posted Sat Dec 5, 2009, 2:09am

This is similar to mine:

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

They claim it has a 2 1/4 " mouth. That works out to ~ 57mm.  I took one of my baskets to the store and tried the funnel for fit.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
avaserfi

Posted Sat Dec 5, 2009, 7:24am

PJK Said:

This is similar to mine:

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

They claim it has a 2 1/4 " mouth. That works out to ~ 57mm.  I took one of my baskets to the store and tried the funnel for fit.

Phil

Posted December 5, 2009 link

Thanks for the funnel idea. When it sits in the portafilter about how much does it stick up? 2.75" that the amazon link claims might be a little too much for me, unfortunately.
PJK
PJK

Posted Sat Dec 5, 2009, 10:47am

The total height of my funnel is about 2.75".  The height above the basket is 2.25".  They are claiming 5" diameter. Mine is closer to 5.5".

I am wondering if mine is the same as the one at Amazon.  Mine is more shiney than what they show.  I checked the web-site of Sur La Table.
They no longer acknowledge the existance of my funnel.

Phil

avaserfi Said:

Thanks for the funnel idea. When it sits in the portafilter about how much does it stick up? 2.75" that the amazon link claims might be a little too much for me, unfortunately.

Posted December 5, 2009 link

Philip J. Keleshian
avaserfi

Posted Sat Dec 12, 2009, 9:06pm

Just reporting back to say that the Norpro canning funnel from amazon works very well. I just got it today and it fits my 58mm portafilter nicely and fits under the chute on my grinder. For $6 I cannot complain at all.
cgfan
cgfan

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus I
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly Timer,...
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 6:24pm

Another vote for using a canning funnel for "can't miss" dosing, but I'd also like to suggest two other uses for it in one's espresso routine.

Others have also noted that it works well as a beans hopper atop a Super Jolly in lieu of the much larger stock hopper, great if you do pre-grind dosing as I do.  But an additional use in one's espresso routine is as a very stable tamping platform for portafilters, whether using a traditional portafilter (both single or double spout configurations), or with bottomless portafilters.

Here's my workflow, including pre-grind per-shot dosing (using the counting mode of my scale - particularly handy for per-shot espresso blending):  Espresso Obsession video
sgreen
sgreen
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Viblemme Replica E-61
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Wed Jul 17, 2013, 10:35am

I tried the yogurt cups and the canning funnel. Yogurt cups are too light and canning funnels are too big. Buy the OE funnel. You'll use it for every shot you pull for the rest of your life. -or until you decide to get a different color.

Seriously, the OE funnels are very nice. They fit in a 58mm basket perfectly. Everything Doug and Barb offer like this is first class. You won't regret the purchase.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > OE Aluminum...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.299404144287)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+