Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Macap M4 Hopper Removal - how to - Finally did it!
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Macap M4 Hopper...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
kapekape

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Nov 2, 2009, 5:53pm
Subject: Macap M4 Hopper Removal - how to - Finally did it!

Hi!  I just got a second hand macap M4 grinder and would like to know how to remove the hopper?  Do you have to remove the 3 small screws around it first or can one remove the hopper even without removing the screws first?  It seems much easier to remove the screws after removing the hopper.

Please advice.

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
Joel_B
Joel_B
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Mon Nov 2, 2009, 6:42pm
Subject: Re: Macap M4 Hopper Removal - how to

Those 3 screws hold on the adjustment ring.  There is a screw/stud that screws into the collar of the upper burr carrier (screwed in horizontaly underneath the adjustment ring) and goes through a hole in the hopper.  Back off/remove that screw and the hopper should wiggle right out.
Joel_B
Joel_B

Posted Mon Nov 2, 2009, 6:43pm

BTW, that screw doesn't hold the hopper steady, it only keeps it from pulling out.  The reason for the screw is so you don't over tighten the burrs (or so I've been told)
kapekape

Posted Mon Nov 2, 2009, 10:10pm

Thank you for the information. This is the single cylindrical screw that is on the right side if you are facing the front of the grinder right? My hopper I guess is somewhat stocked since even after I remove this screw, it seems that the hopper is still secured. I will try to wiggle it out.
Joel_B
Joel_B

Posted Tue Nov 3, 2009, 6:00am

kapekape Said:

This is the single cylindrical screw that is on the right side if you are facing the front of the grinder right?

Posted November 2, 2009 link

Maybe.  There are 3 holes in the upper burr carrier than that screw can be put in.  Plus, the location will rotate with the carrier when you make grinding adjustments (ie, finer/coarser).  

kapekape Said:

My hopper I guess is somewhat stocked since even after I remove this screw, it seems that the hopper is still secured.

Posted November 2, 2009 link

It's not a pressed fit, but if my hopper spends much time there I have to wiggle/jostle/rotate it to break it free.  There's nothing (aside from debris) that would keep it from moving.  It may take a little effort to break it free, but no where near the muscle that would break the hopper.  Let us know when you get it out.
kapekape

Posted Tue Nov 3, 2009, 6:35am

Hi Joel! Thanks for the input!

This morning I tried removing it again but its still stuck!  I just removed the single cylindrical screw on the right side and tried to pull the hopper out but to no avail.  I think the previous owner never removed the hopper and it somehow got stuck.  Is there a way to remove it by putting some olive oil around the hopper (where it slides into the grinder assembly) to loosen it a bit before trying to remove it?
Joel_B
Joel_B

Posted Tue Nov 3, 2009, 8:06am

Hmmm, I'm not sure what to tell you; it should come out with a little effort.

Personally speaking, before I'd start pouring oil into the grinder I'd remove the upper burr carrier (what the hopper slides into).  IF you can, remove the 3 screws that hold the adjustment ring on.  Lift up the ring so it disengages from the worm gear.  You obviously won't be able to remove the ring, but keep it elevated so the teeth are not touching the worm gear/adjustment mechanism.  The carrier is left hand threaded, so turn the hopper and burr carrier clockwise until it completelly unscrews from the grinder.

If you can't remove those 3 screws, then you can still unscrew the carrier, but you'll need to use the adjustment knobs.  This will take a LONG TIME!!!  Just move the grind in the coarse range; the hopper will be turning clockwise and eventually it will unscrew from the grinder.

Once you have the carrier/hopper out, I'd try to gently tap around the carrier to possibly break it free.  I don't know that I'd use olive oil because it's stronger scented/flavored, but perhaps some other food grade oil might help.  I think once you have the carrier & hopper out of the grinder, the tapping/wiggling/rotating/whatever will break it free.
kapekape

Posted Tue Nov 3, 2009, 8:39am

Thanks Joel!

Just a quick question on the procedure you mentioned if I can't remove the 3 screws.  If I use the adjustment knob and turn it clockwise towards the coarse range, do I have to have the grinder on or is it okay to turn it to coarse while the grinder is turned off?
Joel_B
Joel_B

Posted Tue Nov 3, 2009, 9:02am

No, you don't need to run the motor when going coarser.  Since you're dealing with the burrs being exposed it wouldn't be a bad idea to unplug the grinder.

When I refered to clockwise, I was refering to the rotation of the hopper/burr carrier not necessarily the adjustment knob(s).  The knob on the right will be turned counter clockwise and the knob on the left of the machine will be turning clockwise IIRC.
kapekape

Posted Tue Nov 3, 2009, 9:12am

Alright Joel hopefully I don't need to do the adjustment knob option but if I do, the information you gave is really helpful!

Thanks again and I will let you know how things progress.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Macap M4 Hopper...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.269552946091)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+