Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Hand Grinder
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Hand Grinder  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
FredK
FredK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Kyocera hand grinder
Roaster: FreshRoast+8
Posted Tue Jul 21, 2009, 10:00am
Subject: Re: Hand Grinder

lumps Said:

...I guess it's finding the tightest adjustment point that leaves room for interpretation.  I always am able to turn it just a bit tighter, and then a bit tighter again....I guess I should listen to kenntak's advice...

Posted July 21, 2009 link

Yes, that's what was happening. You always need to get to full tight as a starting reference point. Which is why I wanted to put the marks on the adjuster, no need to turn to full tight anymore.
 View Profile Link to this post
benshot
benshot
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: modified Delonghi...
Grinder: cuisinart conical burr/ hon...
Vac Pot: Yama 2 cup
Drip: Tiamo stainless dripper
Roaster: variac controlled poppery 1
Posted Wed Jul 22, 2009, 8:11pm

yea, i got a kyocera. its the best grind i have ever seen for that money. grinds like a $1000 grinder! so glad i got it. of corse its a bit more effort involved than a motorized grinder, but for me thats part of the fun. the effort is worth it. respect the bean, grind slow.
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Wed Jul 22, 2009, 8:52pm

benshot Said:

yea, i got a kyocera. its the best grind i have ever seen for that money. grinds like a $1000 grinder!

Posted July 22, 2009 link

Really? I haven't tried the kyocera but I have a vintage Pede and Zass and they don't come close to my Mazzer.

I wish it were true, but I tend to think this is just wishful exaggeration.

Can anyone who owns both a $1000 grinder (like a Mazzer Major or Cimabli Max Hybrid) and a <$100 hand grinder really say their hand grinder make does a better job?
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Jul 22, 2009, 9:41pm

Kenntak Said:

Well, Orphan does have a couple of new hand grinders in stock that will do espresso.  I have one of them, the Kyocera.

Posted July 13, 2009 link

I had an opportunity to mess with Orphan's other manual Japanese grinder, the Porlex.
nicely made, 190 turns for 14 grams of espresso.
Easy to clean, nice stainless, ceramic burr set.
Also does a nice Press pot.
I can recommend this grinder as an excellent travel grinder. I prefer a wood grinder such as my KyM, PeDe, etc. Mine does 14 grams in 60 turns. Having both types would be cool.
Be patient, Doug and Barb always have several wood grinders up every few weeks.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SlowRain
SlowRain

Espresso: La Pavoni PRH
Grinder: Sözen Turkish & Porlex...
Vac Pot: *$-Bodum French press
Drip: AeroPress
Posted Thu Jul 23, 2009, 12:19am

Good to hear about the Porlex.  I have one waiting in Japan for my friend to pick up next month (if all goes according to plan).

How much dust do you get at a press-pot setting?  How evenly does it grind?
JesseCass

Espresso: PID'd Starbucks Sirena
Grinder: NS MDX-A, Unbranded 50's...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam Coffeemaster
Drip: Bodum Press, Aeropress
Roaster: Modified Poppery II
Posted Sat Jul 25, 2009, 2:24pm

Endo Said:

Really? I haven't tried the kyocera but I have a vintage Pede and Zass and they don't come close to my Mazzer.

I wish it were true, but I tend to think this is just wishful exaggeration.

Can anyone who owns both a $1000 grinder (like a Mazzer Major or Cimabli Max Hybrid) and a <$100 hand grinder really say their hand grinder make does a better job?

Posted July 22, 2009 link

I have a Nuova Simonelli MDX and an unbranded espresso capable hand grinder (Made in West Germany.) I would say the Mdx does a better job but only slightly so.

If the shots I've pulled using a Robur-E at a local coffee shop were my personal 10 then the MDX is a 8 and the hand grinder is a 7.5
I also have a heavily modified Krups XKV that I would say rates at about a 2-3
Mind you I am not quite up to the "Wicked Skillz" level of home baristaing quite yet.
vawpwss

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Kyocera
Drip: Bodum Solo Drip
Posted Mon Aug 10, 2009, 3:15am

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie to coffee.
After going through this forum, I bought the kyocera and bodum solo drip.
Anyone using kyocera with drip? Can advise know how tight should I set the grind?
Currently I release it 1 full turn from the tightest.

The_Shadow

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: NS Aurelia 2 group, 1977...
Grinder: NS MDX, NS Grinta, KyM...
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: BUNN VPR/LPG Combo
Roaster: Leave That To The Pros
Posted Mon Aug 10, 2009, 5:14am

I can vouch for the grinding capability of the hand grinder I have. Bought a nice KyM copper Turkish style mill from Orphan Espresso and it flat out rocks. The fineness and consistency is on par with the Nuova Simonelli MDX at work and the shots pulled from my Cremina/KyM combo were better than the best shots I could get from the MDX/Linea combo at work using the same beans.

I was going to buy a Kyocera from OE as well until I saw the KyM Turkish in that exquisite/rare copper housing. I asked Doug and Barb for their opinions of both grinders and they gave me an honest description of both. They said the KyM is a superior grinder, one of the best hand grinders they've seen and will pretty much last a lifetime due to the construction/quality, but is a bit harder to strip down for cleaning. They went on to say the Kyocera holds its own as well and is easier to clean, but doesn't have the build quality of the KyM.

I, like so many others, highly recommend buying from Orphan if you can. With them what you see/read is exactly what you get. Later!
okawari

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Aug 10, 2009, 7:19pm

SlowRain Said:

Good to hear about the Porlex.  I have one waiting in Japan for my friend to pick up next month (if all goes according to plan).

How much dust do you get at a press-pot setting?  How evenly does it grind?

Posted July 23, 2009 link

The answer is not at all evenly. This is the same grinder I have, and I have few complaints. However, like other hand burr grinders, I do not believe it would be ideal for press pots; at coarser grinds the grain consistency is very uneven. For pour-over, espresso, or Turkish coffee, no problem.
DanTar

Espresso: Buon Caffe 330
Grinder: Cuisinart
Drip: KitchenAid & Cuisinart
Roaster: Popcorn pumper
Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 8:57pm

I know this thread has been dormant for awhile, but has anyone used the Hario MM-2?  Can't seemto find any reviews or videos of people using it. Want to know if it is suitable for espresso like the other Harios & Kyocera, etc…
Thanks.
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Hand Grinder  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.336459875107)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+