Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Hand Grinder
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Hand Grinder  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
FredK
FredK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Kyocera hand grinder
Roaster: FreshRoast+8
Posted Mon Jul 20, 2009, 5:44am
Subject: Re: Hand Grinder

If you unscrew the adjustment wheel on the bottom all the way out, you will see I think 6 or 8 tiny plastic bumps in a circle on the bottom of the burr, see this picture http://www.orphanespresso.com/images/Kyocera%207.jpg

When you adjust your grind with the adjuster wheel, you will feel these little bumps, those are the clicks. It is very subtle, but you can feel them.

I too wondered if I could tighten it too tight, and I don't know the answer to that. I know one time I thought I had it completely tight, but I did not. My ensuing shot was too coarse. So now when I want to tighten it all the way down as a starting point, I make sure the burr area is clean and nothing interferes with its movement.

I'm not sure you can put it together wrong, other then putting the adjustment screw in upside down. In that case you might not feel the plastic bumps.

Check out this page, or your box, for the proper alignment of parts: Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
Kenntak

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Kyocera Hand Grinder
Posted Mon Jul 20, 2009, 6:45am

I tighten mine until it is reasonably tight, sort of like screwing a cap on a bottle.  I don't want to turn it too tight.  I think it is important that you are consistent in the way you tighten the adjustment wheel each time, so you know how far you have to loosen the wheel to get it to the proper point.  After a couple of tries, you should get feel for it.
FredK
FredK

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2009, 9:41am

What I thought was reasonably tight was not, it happened again today. I thought I was out 2.5 clicks as compared to a really nice shot at that setting yesterday.  So when I put it together after a quick cleaning, I discovered I could close it an additional click. So what I thought was 2.5 yesterday was really 3.5. So the true 2.5 shot I ran today ended up chocking the machine.

I really like the grind produced from the Kyocera, and it's fun to use, but the adjustment mechanism could have been designed better. There should at least be reference marks which you can easily see. I'm going to get a fine tipped Sharpie or something permanent and see if I can inscribe some marks where there are those dimples, also a mark for full tight.  Has anyone tried this? And if so, what did you use to make marks that didn't wash off?
Kenntak

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2009, 10:53am

That's precisely why I only take my grinder apart every two weeks to clean it.  I enjoy having it on that sweet spot for two weeks.  :)  

One way to tell if I have it right is that it takes around 120 turns for my sweet spot.  After I completely clean the grinder I grind some beans to see if I went back to the right spot.  If it takes over 135 turns or less than 105, I know I am off, and I better tamp or reduce the grounds in the portafilter accordingly.  I may get one poor espresso, but it usually only takes one small turn to fix that, and then I am good for two weeks.  I am getting to a point where I can view the grounds as they are entering the clear bottom of the grinder and tell whether the grinding is too course or too fine.  Like I said before, I am pleased with the consistency of the grinder.  The other day I made two espressi, and it took 120 and 122 turns for them.  That's pretty consistent.
FredK
FredK

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2009, 6:58pm

That's a good idea to keep track of turns.

I went to Staples tonight to pick up an ultra-fine tip permanant Sharpie and made some marks on the adjuster wheel and the plate it screws against. I just made a mark at full tight, then each at 1, 2, 3, 4 clicks. I feel much better. I won't have to fuss around with it anymore and get anxious over getting back to certain settings. Also allows me to see if it moved during grinding, which after making an after dinner capp, it did not. Tried it at 3 clicks and got a 33 second shot.  I notice I am not getting any clumping on the Kyocera like I did with my Capresso. Nice.
DharmaBum
DharmaBum
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia
Grinder: Several manual ones
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Poppery 2
Posted Mon Jul 20, 2009, 7:02pm

I need 200-210 turns for the beans I'm using.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
lumps

Espresso: Olympia cremina
Grinder: baratza vario
Drip: v60, beehouse, kone, Nel
Posted Mon Jul 20, 2009, 7:18pm

FredK Said:

That's a good idea to keep track of turns.

I went to Staples tonight to pick up an ultra-fine tip permanant Sharpie and made some marks on the adjuster wheel and the plate it screws against. I just made a mark at full tight, then each at 1, 2, 3, 4 clicks. I feel much better. I won't have to fuss around with it anymore and get anxious over getting back to certain settings. Also allows me to see if it moved during grinding, which after making an after dinner capp, it did not. Tried it at 3 clicks and got a 33 second shot.  I notice I am not getting any clumping on the Kyocera like I did with my Capresso. Nice.

Posted July 20, 2009 link

I've been able to dial in some good espresso so far, but seem to be back around 10-12 detentes.  Mind posting a photo of your marked adjuster, or letting us know how it turns out?  Great idea.

I'm brand new to espresso, and am unsure on if I should be leaning towards the ultra fine grind with light tamp vs. a coarser grind with firm tamp.  I seem to get better shots with the latter, but don't know if It's too fine.  Still trying to figure out the blonding thing...i've only been pulling with a bottomless pf...watching youtubes, etc.
FredK
FredK

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2009, 8:11am

Here is a picture. Sorry it's blurry, but I think you can see what I did. Simply took a ultra-fine tip Sharpie and made marks at the first few detents. The "T" is where the adjuster is at full tight. Then I made a mark on the adjuster wheel itself as a guide to where it's at.

10-12 detents seems far, that would be about one full spin out, right? According to the orphanespresso website, that would be the adjustment for somewhat coarse grinds, not really for espresso.

I too have a hard time determining when a shot goes blonde. For me, I keep an eye on what's going on in the cup too. It's easier to compare the crema in the cup when the blonde starts to drop because you have a color reference point and makes it easier to see when the color gets lighter.

FredK: kyocera.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Kenntak

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2009, 8:50am

Thanks for the picture, that should be helpful to people.

I too have difficulty determining when a shot goes blonde, as I do not have much experience.  It seems more difficult too with two streams running!  Until I am able to get better at telling when the shot goes blonde, I have been cutting the brewing off at 30 seconds at the most.  With my current grind setting, this is easy to do as I have been getting shots of around 25 seconds or so.  However, I do not know whether that is the optimum time to stop the machine.
lumps

Espresso: Olympia cremina
Grinder: baratza vario
Drip: v60, beehouse, kone, Nel
Posted Tue Jul 21, 2009, 8:52am

Nice, thanks for the photo!  I guess it's finding the tightest adjustment point that leaves room for interpretation.  I always am able to turn it just a bit tighter, and then a bit tighter again....I guess I should listen to kenntak's advice.

I've got it at a good spot now: about 33 seconds until blonde, with a nice ~1.5 oz. shot.
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Hand Grinder  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.2709171772)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+