Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Hand Grinder
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Hand Grinder  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
f16cla1
f16cla1
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Jul 13, 2009, 3:25pm
Subject: Hand Grinder

Hi everybody,  I've been in the market for a hand grinder ever since I bought an espresso machine.  Now I've heard many times before on these forums to go to orphanespresso.com.  I've looked at this site and found that I'm always waiting because they usually only have 1 or two espresso grinders up at a time and then they're gone within a day.  That being said, I do like that they test them to ensure they will get espresso fine results.  I've also read that sweetmarias.com sells them, but they're all new.  Which means no guarantee that they'll grind fine enough.   Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a hand grinder that will for sure grind espresso?
 View Profile Link to this post
FredK
FredK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Kyocera hand grinder
Roaster: FreshRoast+8
Posted Mon Jul 13, 2009, 5:13pm
Subject: Re: Hand Grinder

I've heard the new Zassenhaus' aren't as good as the old ones. I'm considering the Kyocera from orphan. But I first would like to know if the Kyocera is equal to say at least a Cunill Tranquilo for use with espresso.
Kenntak

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Kyocera Hand Grinder
Posted Mon Jul 13, 2009, 5:15pm

Well, Orphan does have a couple of new hand grinders in stock that will do espresso.  I have one of them, the Kyocera.
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Mon Jul 13, 2009, 5:29pm

f16cla1 Said:

Now I've heard many times before on these forums to go to orphanespresso.com.  I've looked at this site and found that I'm always waiting because they usually only have 1 or two espresso grinders up at a time and then they're gone within a day.

Posted July 13, 2009 link

I got frustrated waiting as well and ended up getting a PeDe 435 off E-bay for $50.

It's in great shape but doesn't really grind super fine. Maybe with time it will get better since it had never been run before I bought it.

I also have a Zass Turkish grinder. This grinds VERY fine, but even then, I haven't been very impressed with any hand grinder I've tried.  Very inconsistant grind in my opinion.

I tend to think you get what you pay for. I've tried several now, but I haven't found a sub $100 conical hand grinder that tastes any better than my first $150 Starbucks conical grinder (even if the hand grinder was made in Germany).
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Mon Jul 13, 2009, 6:49pm

From what I've seen with Orphan, he who hesitates loses out. I almost went for that really sweet one they had a week or two ago for like $115- went back and forth most of a day- and then it was to late. (who got that one anyway?) I would say they're still your best bet, just keep checking back and grab one while you can. Maybe you could email them and let them know you're seriously ready to buy something now and ask them what's in the works? Good luck to you.
f16cla1
f16cla1

Posted Tue Jul 14, 2009, 4:36am

Thank you to everyone who contributed.  I decided to go the route of a new grinder, but through orphan.  I went with the kyocera ceramic grinder.  Watching a video they put out, and reading their reviews it seems like it will be a good buy.
Kenntak

Grinder: Kyocera Hand Grinder
Posted Tue Jul 14, 2009, 4:43am

I think that was a good choice.  As I said in the other thread, I have had good success with mine.  I made two caps this morning and with 120-130 turns, I pulled 24 and 27 second 2 ounce shots, the variables of course being the amount of beans used and tamping pressure.  I have been getting shots like that all week with my current setting.
philosogeek
philosogeek

Espresso: Livia 90 Semi-Auto
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama 8 and 3 cup
Drip: Pour over, Clever coffee...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Jul 14, 2009, 5:02am

Hi Chris,

I just saw this thread and noticed you're in Syracuse.  Out of curiosity, where are you buying your beans? Also, you owe it to yourself to have an espresso at Cafe Kubal on James Street some time.

-p
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
f16cla1
f16cla1

Posted Tue Jul 14, 2009, 3:35pm

Well I actually know cafe kubal very well.  I haven't been buying beans there for a while only because I didn't want to use good quality beans until I bought a grinder to properly utilize them.  I actually brought my espresso machine there when I first got it, and the owner Matt helped me get the best quality shot from it.  Thats when he broke the news that I need a grinder to get a good shot.  So for a while I bought beans there and had them grind it but I decided that I was basically wasting good beans.  Now with my new grinder I plan to go back there.
sheshe
sheshe

Espresso: capresso luxe
Grinder: Vintage Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: no
Drip: French press and grind and...
Roaster: popcorn popper & rotisserie
Posted Wed Jul 15, 2009, 2:34am

I just got a really sweet Zass from Orphan (see my profile).  I bought it about a week ago.  I am very happy.  I too went back and forth and lost out on grinders, so when I saw this one, I didn't hesitate.

Sheila
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Hand Grinder  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.293475866318)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+