Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Technically and Mechanically  - Conical vs Flat Burrs
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Technically and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Dooglas
Dooglas
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme Junior
Grinder: Ascaso, Baratza
Drip: Bonavita, Bodum press
Roaster: GeneCafe, Behmor
Posted Sat Jun 13, 2009, 12:51pm
Subject: Re: Technically and Mechanically  - Conical vs Flat Burrs

I don't think any grinder made primarily for home use will stand up to the commercial units discussed in this thread. Having said that, I have used an Ascaso I-1d for years and have been well satisfied with the result. It is an excellent choice at the price point you have budgeted (it will also fit in spaces that will not hold an SJ).
 View Profile Link to this post
HB

Posted Sat Jun 13, 2009, 6:38pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

What you do not want is some individual grains the size of a grain of rice, while others are the size of table salt, and still others are like talc.  You want them all the same size (or close to it.)

Posted June 10, 2009 link

Not to put too fine a point on it, but espresso grinders produce a bi-modal particle size distribution (for the gory details, click here).

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
digger
digger

Espresso: QM Alexia w/PID
Grinder: Le'Lit PL53
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jun 13, 2009, 10:26pm

Dan,

"gory details"  are you kidding. Finally some real facts and data.

I guess I am somewhat amazed at the general similarity of the wet and dry curves and the percentage fo fine particals all starting to peak at the same time at about 9 microns. I could not open the plots on the Teme's link but reading the text it sounds the the data indicated a wider partical distribution with conical burr than flat burr.  

Are all 4 of your grinders in your test flat burr?  Surely with 4 different grinders, they cannot all have the same shape burr design, cutting angle, etc or speed and yet the curves are all so similar. Is this making the case for flat burrs?

Being a novice to espresso but a trained engineer in design of experiments... this was good stuff.  I wonder how much data I can learn with a simple "finess of grind" gauge? I certainly cannot see the bi-modal distribution but is it fair to say, looking at the charts, that I should see little or no fine particals smaller than 8 micons or so?
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jun 14, 2009, 4:15am

digger Said:

Are all 4 of your grinders in your test flat burr?  

Posted June 13, 2009 link

The test was done by John Weiss and published on Dan's website.

Look at the charts, each has a legend naming the grinders.  
MXK and Robur are conical and the Bunn and Super-Jolly are planar

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Jun 14, 2009, 8:36am

Thanks, Dan, for the link -- I searched HB but using terms like "electron microscope," I came up empty.  

D'Oh!  The TGP . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
digger
digger

Espresso: QM Alexia w/PID
Grinder: Le'Lit PL53
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jun 14, 2009, 11:51am

JonR10,

Were you surprised when you saw the data and 2 were from flat and 2 conical?

Should the curves be that close or, do I infer from the data, that the better coffee grinder manufacturers actually design the burrs, motors, etc to actually create these curves as the industry considers these partical distribution as the "benchmark curves" for a properly ground bean that the user and the average good quality espresso machine can extract the proper flavor the roaster expected?

If that is the case. I'm satisfied.  I was not prepared to blindly spend a lot of money on a grinder just because someone once said "better is better" or "spend the most you can on a grinder"

It may be then I am correct...and please correct me if I'm not,  that the more expensive grinders do a better job mainly because they threw sufficient R&D money at their design to insure the burr and machine could create a grind with this benchmark curve and the quality of the machine parts and tolerances,  insure that it will duplicate this curve for years to come.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jun 14, 2009, 2:41pm

digger Said:

Were you surprised when you saw the data and 2 were from flat and 2 conical?

Posted June 14, 2009 link

No, that was not a surprise.  The intent of the test was to evaluate flat vs. conical.

The surprise to me was the bimodal particle size distribution.  

digger Said:

...do I infer from the data, that the better coffee grinder manufacturers actually design the burrs, motors, etc to actually create these curves....

Posted June 14, 2009 link

An enormous amount of research has been devoted to coffee-related topics, including grinding for espresso.  It wouldn't surprise me if the better manufacturers discovered these advantageous burr setups and others followed suit (although I'm guessing the bimodal distribution we see in John Weiss' test was discovered as the outcome and was not the driving basis of design).

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Jun 14, 2009, 9:48pm

Digger, you might also consider the Baratza Vario. It's more compact, has a timer, and grinds as well as the big iron giants. closer to $400, but has practically no waste, is quiet, and will grind eveything from Turkish to French Press grind, as well as espresso.
click here

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
DarkMajestic

Espresso: Quckmill Vetrano
Grinder: Macap M4 and Capresso...
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: None
Roaster: Behmor & Cajun Pot.
Posted Mon Jun 15, 2009, 6:35pm

My first grinder was priced in the $150. range and was a conical burr grinder and my second grinder was in the $500 to $600 range and was flat burr. Ofcourse the second grinder performed better then the first as was evident even on my $150. starter espresso machine I had at the time before my prosumer espresso machine arrived.

There are many other factors to consider besides flat or conical burrs and they are not all technical decisions .. will the thing fit in your kitchen ? Most home espresso makers grind one shot at a time .. if you buy a grinder big enough to grind all the espresso that your neighborhood requires for their morning rush hour commute will it still be practical for that 15 to 20 gram dose you add for that single morning shot ?

It's been a few years since I looked at grinders but at least three of the top prosumer / semi light commercial grinders at that time were all flat burr. This is not to say or make any claim that one is better then the other but it certainly is not a decisive factor for home espresso makers.

It will not wreck your espresso making experience if you buy one of the reviwed sturdy flat burr grinders in the $500 range and not that conical burr grinder.

Cheers ...
cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Sun Jul 5, 2009, 7:00am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Yes.  Because the Mahlkönig K30 Vario comes with flat burrs . . . ;^)

Cheers,
Jason

* Note: the link here is to the K30ES, not to the K30 Vario.  The ES is stepped; the Vario is stepless.

Posted June 10, 2009 link

good advice for wrong reason. The biggest innovation in grinders manufacturing has been "RETURN" to conical burrs, since all manual grinders were built with conicals (and all electric, professional and household, with flats).
While flat burrs are perfectly capable of doing the job, there are a number of reasons why a manufacturer should go conical : first and most important on same size OD (outside diameter) and same number of rotations conical have a much lower peripheral speed = less heat generated, "softer" contact with the bean ... secondly much bigger grinding surface of conicals resulting in a much longer life (at least twice as much) and more consistent uniformity of grind, third more precise adjustement (more forgiving..) due to the conical insert of lower burr into upper burr when compared to the super precise alignement of upper and lower in flat burrs (sorry if this does not explain clear enough, but I am trying to say that with the same rotation of adjustement the variation is bigger in flat versus conical)....
Noise I believe is strictly a matter of housing because when you "impact" a bean logics say that at higher speed you produce more noise, and this could mean that a conical is supposed to be quieter, and that does not always happen in real life, but you can always verify that by placing your noisy grinder into a cardboard box......
But then there are a number of industrial and commercial reasons that justify the actual market reality (last but not least the totally different opinions of users, as you can easily see from this very thread..).
P.S. Bigger is not necessarily better ..........
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Technically and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.322989940643)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+