Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Just got myself a Mazzer Mestre!
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Just got myself...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
tasseloff

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed May 13, 2009, 6:59pm
Subject: Re: Just got myself a Mazzer Mestre!

Its here!!!

It finally got here today in 1 piece!! And it works quite well! Ok, I don't know yet if the burrs are used or what, but I plug it in (the lights in the room dim a bit) and then run it and it grinds my beans, quite fine I might add!

:D

It is really dirty however as said in the ebay add, I will have to do a thorough cleaning of everything. I've already taken the top off to see what the burrs look like, they're indeed 64mm.

So I guess next step will be to find some online info on how to take it appart carefully for cleaning!

I will post some pictures later on when I get more time, but right now I'm quite happy :) Its BIG and Heavy!
 View Profile Link to this post
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Wed May 13, 2009, 7:07pm

So, is it 110V or 220?

Replace the burrs regardless of how they look.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Wed May 13, 2009, 7:25pm

tasseloff Said:

... (the lights in the room dim a bit)...

Posted May 13, 2009 link

Only when the motor's running, right?

sweaner Said:

Replace the burrs regardless of how they look.

Posted May 13, 2009 link

+1.  Easy to replace, inexpensive.

Jim
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tasseloff

Posted Wed May 13, 2009, 7:28pm

well, its written 220v underneath on the sticker, but it runs without a problem on 110v...

and yes, the room dim just when I put the switch on, actually im pretty sure it does the same thing when I iron my shirts ;)

I guess I'll start looking for some cheap burrs in Canada then.

I can't wait to have it cleaned to try a shot though...but right now there's so much old grinds in there its not possible to grind one without having some very old left-overs mixed in.

Would simply grinding a big bunch of white rice do the trick?
philosogeek
philosogeek
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Livia 90 Semi-Auto
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama 8 and 3 cup
Drip: Pour over, Clever coffee...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed May 13, 2009, 8:01pm

I'd do more than run some rice through it if it's really soiled.  

Check out this thread for some good tips: Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

-p
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Laral

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu May 14, 2009, 5:31pm

tasseloff Said:

I've already taken the top off to see what the burrs look like, they're indeed 64mm.

Posted May 13, 2009 link

At least it's an SJ. That's good.
Laral

Posted Thu May 14, 2009, 5:45pm

tasseloff Said:

I guess I'll start looking for some cheap burrs in Canada then.

Posted May 13, 2009 link

I doubt you'll do much better than this.
If you do, make sure it's OEM parts.
tasseloff

Posted Sat May 16, 2009, 7:01am

I feel like I owe everyone who posted here a little update on my new grinder :-D
After a big thorough cleanup, I finally tried it for one shot last night...it wasn't that nice actually, but the shot was too quick and I think the beans might've been a bit old. I tried again today, with a finer grain other very fresh beans....and successfully achieved my first ristretto!!! That sweet honey colored liquid slowly poured down in a way I've never seen before on my machine :)
Ok I was actually aiming for an espresso this morning but I was just as glad to be able to get a ristretto for the first time!

I will need to play with the grinder a lot before getting used to it, but first impression is good. However, there are many things I need to work on, first is to add the tape mod because its there way too many grinds left on the bottom. Second is to get a good brush to swipe the chute down after each shot...A lot of getting stuck there. Then I will probably try to put that small mod on the bottom cute so it stops throwing to one side. I also need to find that screw for the top of the doser.

I'm kinda surprised they are so many obvious flaws on such an expensive grinder, but luckily i think it will be fixed easily.

Thanks for the link Laural, I will probably end up buying some burrs on ebay, it seems its where they are cheaper. There's a big difference between OEM burrs and other?

I will post some pics later on. After I drink my next coffee :)
Laral

Posted Sat May 16, 2009, 7:39am

tasseloff Said:

Thanks for the link Laural, I will probably end up buying some burrs on ebay, it seems its where they are cheaper. There's a big difference between OEM burrs and other?

Posted May 16, 2009 link

I'm sure there will be varying opinions on this but why would you put a non-OEM part on an expensive machine like that? You wouldn't do that to your car so why would you do that to your nice grinder? First of all the non-OEM will probably not be significantly cheaper. Then there's the quality issue. What alloys is it made from? Is it an exact duplicate part? (If so it's considered counterfeit and is highly suspect anyway.) To make it cheap to sell, they have to be cutting corners somewhere. That will affect the final performance and longevity. There are so many variables, why fool around? You've already invested a lot. Now's not the time to cut corners especially with the heart of the grinder. You could do that with the missing bolt but I wouldn't do it with the burrs. And I doubt you'll do better than Phaelon Coffee. Look. It's sealed in the Mazzer security blister pack.
tasseloff

Posted Sat May 16, 2009, 7:45am

Before... (drastically reduced photos from 45mb to 75kb!)

tasseloff: IMG_0725.JPG
(Click for larger image)
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Just got myself...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.313820123672)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+