Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Just got myself a Mazzer Mestre!
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Just got myself...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
morgan_greywolf
morgan_greywolf
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID'd Hamilton-Beach
Grinder: Infinity, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: I was told they suck. :-)
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: Cattle Dog Roasters
Posted Thu May 7, 2009, 5:29am
Subject: Re: Just got myself a Mazzer Mestre!

FWIU, Mazzer only uses AC motors, no DC motors^. Many, many AC motors are designed to work on either 110V or 220V, and probably just as many will work with a wide range of voltages.  This is very common.  It will simply spin a bit faster on a 110V than 220V.

^In general, AC motors deliver more torque than DC motors, but have a longer "windup" time unless you do what coffee grinder manufacturers (and others) do and use a start capacitor.

http://lowendespresso.blogspot.com/
Ever mind that water purifies the machine, but espresso purifies the soul!
 View Profile Link to this post
phaelon56
phaelon56
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM 4 group , Isomac Tea,...
Grinder: Major, Super Jolly,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Fetco, Melitta
Roaster: Sivetz , Diedrich
Posted Thu May 7, 2009, 9:27am

tasseloff Said:

I am surprised though if someone asked about that detail, usually questions like these are posted on the page for everyone to see? Or am I mistaken? I haven't bought that often on ebay but usually as soon as I sent a question to the seller it would appear on the page.

Posted May 3, 2009 link

When a seller receives a question on an item via ebay's messaging system and replies they are given the option to have the answer appended to the listing or not. It does not happen automatically.  I get plenty of questions on my ebay listings that either aren't about that specific item or are such obscure questions that it does to make sense to clutter the listing with the information. If it's crucial information then my tendency is to revise the text of the listing itself but that's strictly personal choice.

Owen O'Neill
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tasseloff

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu May 7, 2009, 10:00am

morgan_greywolf Said:

FWIU, Mazzer only uses AC motors, no DC motors^. Many, many AC motors are designed to work on either 110V or 220V, and probably just as many will work with a wide range of voltages.  This is very common.  It will simply spin a bit faster on a 110V than 220V.

^In general, AC motors deliver more torque than DC motors, but have a longer "windup" time unless you do what coffee grinder manufacturers (and others) do and use a start capacitor.

Posted May 7, 2009 link

I see! So this brings up some clarification. I guess it explains then why even though its 220v it runs on 110v! Or so I'm told, it hasn't arrived yet, probably by the end of next week. Thanks for the info :)
tasseloff

Posted Thu May 7, 2009, 10:02am

phaelon56 Said:

When a seller receives a question on an item via ebay's messaging system and replies they are given the option to have the answer appended to the listing or not. It does not happen automatically.  I get plenty of questions on my ebay listings that either aren't about that specific item or are such obscure questions that it does to make sense to clutter the listing with the information. If it's crucial information then my tendency is to revise the text of the listing itself but that's strictly personal choice.

Posted May 7, 2009 link

Ok, I didn't know that, never actually sold anything on ebay! But I had noticed that every time I asked a question to a seller, it was posted. I guess my questions were just always very good! ;-)
Laral

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu May 7, 2009, 11:21pm

I was semi interested in this too so I messaged the seller 3 days before auction end. It took me 3 tries before he answered. His response to my third message was that he didn't receive my first two messages, the ones I sent him by clicking the "Ask seller a question" link. O-o-o-K. He told me the hopper was the only thing missing, he tried it and it worked, he was selling it on consignment and wasn't the owner, he couldn't provide any photos of the label because he couldn't get to the machine before auction end the next day, and "the watts" were not "marked". He didn't answer my questions as to whether the original hopper was barrel shaped or conical, how old the machine was, was it heavily used in a commercial setting, had he recently ground any coffee in it, how worn the burrs were, what power rating was on the label -- questions that any interested buyer SHOULD ask and information that any reputable seller would probably include in the listing in the first place. I had told him in my second message (that he didn't get), that there was no such model as a Mestre, that Mestre was the location of the manufacturer's headquarters at one time (it is now in Venice). He never updated his listing to reflect this. All this from a seller that has almost 4,000 feedback entries and a 100% positive feedback score for the last 12 months. BTW he did have some negatives and neutrals in the past including one that said he refused to leave positive feedback unless the buyer did and one that he had failed to disclose obvious breakage and would not accept a return on the item in question. He also responded to one negative by calling the buyer a "LIAR!!" and saying that another dissatisfied buyer needed to see an optometrist. So I thought, hmmmm, this could be anything from a Mini to a Major or even a Robur, is an obsolete model (compare photos to ones of current machines), needs a $50+ hopper, almost certainly needs a new $50+ set of burrs, and who knows what else, is of unknown provenance and unknown usage history, the seller seems rather evasive with his answers and insults buyers who give him negative feedback. No, I think I'll pass. I had been looking for a used grinder on craigslist and eBay for the last 2-3 weeks and consistently saw lesser machines than Mazzers with cracks in the hopper, missing parts, obviously worn burrs, dirty, chipped paint, etc. go for $300+ including shipping. And that's not to mention the bidding frenzy. A new Mazzer Mini goes for $559+ online so I wouldn't pay more than $300 total for a used machine in excellent condition with very little use. I finally bit the bullet and got a new-in-factory-sealed-box Mazzer Major Auto 110v 60Hz for $500 on craigslist. Please use this as a reference point when considering future purchases. The seller had bought a palette of them at auction and they went fast. I got the second last one and he sold the last one for $400 (darn!). I tested it and it works perfectly. I hate to burst anyone's bubble or to sound arrogant or snobbish and I am not trying to gloat but I think people should know -- bidding up the price of questionable-at-best equipment doesn't benefit anyone but the seller. Buyer beware and be smart. The final price you pay depends on what you and others are willing to pay. Don't be willing to pay a premium price for a poor-to-mediocre offering. And don't allow any emotion to govern your bidding. Decide the maximum you are willing to pay including shipping and don't be influenced at all by the bidding frenzy. Just enter your maximum as a proxy bid and forget it. Either you win or you don't win. You never lose. I hope it all turns out well for the winner in this case. I don't mean to be discouraging but I think all should learn from this.
tasseloff

Posted Fri May 8, 2009, 3:39pm

Well, this is all very interesting! I guess this ebay auction drew interest from a lot of people! I have to say I fully agree with most of what you just said. I certainly didn't ask as many questions to the seller as I should have, although I usually do, this time I kinda skipped that part! I think part of that reason is that I really wasn't expecting to win that auction. I first saw it and then quickly searched for what "model" was a Mazzer Mestre! I stumbled upon that HB page which I posted in my first posts, which said clearly that it was a Mazzer Major. I stopped my search there... Based on that fact I figured, a Mazzer Major, that'll go probably for at LEAST 375, even with the hopper missing etc.. But I thought I'd bid on it anyway with my limit at 276, you know, just in case ;) Surprise, I won!!

So yeah then of course I learned about it being in fact a Super Jolly...And THEN, that it was a 220v (even though using a standard 3 prong plug). However after much more careful searching and some helpful posts here I learned that it was probably quite fine on 110v, that which the seller confirmed to me.

He told me in his answer that I could, without a problem, decline the auction that he would refund me the money if I wanted so. I actually choose to go on with it as I figured I had been searching for a LONG time already for a grinder, and even though this was far from a STEAL, it was an alright price (I personally think anyway..). One thing you have to know is that being in Canada, I don't see all that many grinders for sale here, I would say i've been on the lookout since January and haven't seen much really. I've put a bid here and there, seen a grinder or two on kijiji or craigstlist, but rarely anything interesting. So im pretty sure finding a deal, or actually just a decently priced used Mazzer or other known brand grinder might not be possible without a lot of luck.

So in all, I don't think I've been really duped by that sell. As I said, I had an option to opt out of it and still decided to go on with the transaction, but I did make some mistakes initially when assuming the grinder was a Major, and then by not asking enough info to the seller before bidding.

The seller indeed seems sketchy now that you say you contacted him as well. In his answer to my questions about answering someone concerning the 220v question, he said no one asked such a question. It is a bit weird...

Hopefully when it gets here I won't be disappointed, but if it runs fine then I'm a happy man.

Its indeed rare these days to get any crazy deals from Ebay...
kiont

Espresso: Andreja Premium, Delonghi...
Grinder: Rossi RR45, DeVe Hand...
Roaster: Fresh Roast Plus
Posted Fri May 8, 2009, 6:32pm

Either way, those things are built to last,
maybe a new set or burrs, some deep cleaning, maybe a new paint job and you should be good.
tasseloff

Posted Fri May 8, 2009, 6:46pm

well, look at that! just to pinch me in the ass, this auction just finished:

Click Here (cgi.ebay.ca)

Sure seems like a better deal than what I got!

ok i have to really stop looking on ebay for grinders now, I have one on the way! ;)

I bet the winner is somewhere in here?
philosogeek
philosogeek
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Livia 90 Semi-Auto
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama 8 and 3 cup
Drip: Pour over, Clever coffee...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri May 8, 2009, 7:17pm

I wouldn't sweat the other auction....but do stop looking at them!!!

haha, really though, ebay is hit or miss and (unfortunately) you've got to wait a bit to see what yours is.  I think you'll be happy with your SJ, it's a really fantastic grinder.

-p
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Laral

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat May 9, 2009, 10:01am

> that I really wasn't expecting to win that auction. I first saw it and then quickly searched for what "model" was a Mazzer Mestre! I stumbled upon that HB page which
> I posted in my first posts, which said clearly that it was a Mazzer Major. I stopped my search there... Based on that fact I figured, a Mazzer Major, that'll go

You should tell the moderator your story and ask to remove that post.

> So yeah then of course I learned about it being in fact a Super Jolly...And THEN, that it was a 220v (even though using a standard 3 prong plug). However after much

How do you know it is a Super Jolly? Did you ask? It seems everyone here is just assuming it is, similar to how that guy assumed the Mestre was a Major. I'd ask if I were you. But he won't know I'm sure. The measurements don't match anything current so it's difficult.

> I figured I had been searching for a LONG time already for a grinder, and even though this was far from a STEAL, it was an alright price (I personally think
> anyway..). One thing you have to know is that being in Canada, I don't see all that many grinders for sale here, I would say i've been on the lookout since January
> and haven't seen much really. I've put a bid here and there, seen a grinder or two on kijiji or craigstlist, but rarely anything interesting. So im pretty sure
> finding a deal, or actually just a decently priced used Mazzer or other known brand grinder might not be possible without a lot of luck.

I understand perfectly. I was in a small town once that had no craigslist and there were very few coffee shops. You were desperate. I kinda felt the same way about finding a decent used machine for a reasonable price. I didn't want to spend more than $300 but I needed the grinder ASAP for my still uninstalled coffee machine.

> The seller indeed seems sketchy now that you say you contacted him as well. In his answer to my questions about answering someone concerning the 220v question, he
> said no one asked such a question. It is a bit weird...

I din't even think to ask that. I didn't see any 220s at the Mazzer site other than 50Hz European versions.

> Hopefully when it gets here I won't be disappointed, but if it runs fine then I'm a happy man.
>
> Its indeed rare these days to get any crazy deals from Ebay...

At least for grinders that is unfortunately true.
showing page 4 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Just got myself...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.288827180862)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+