Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 197 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Mar 8, 2009, 2:47pm
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

Lifestar Said:

Well the downside is I came down with the stomach flu on Thursday and my stomach is still chruning if I east anything stronger than toast.  Wonderful beans showed up on  Friday and I cant do a thing with them.

Posted March 8, 2009 link

Reminds me of the twilight Zone episode where Burgess Meredith has books and "all the time in the world"...then breaks his glasses.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
weiv

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Sun Mar 8, 2009, 8:18pm

My Vario arrived Thursday. After a few days, I found it was very easy to dial in a good grind level. It is relatively quiet. Portaholder works, but not as well as I would hope on my bottomless portafilter - I still have to be careful. Timer function is neat, but I pre-dose (regular/decaf combo and what not).

Today I cleaned my Rocky with doser in order to figure out which one goes up for sale. Rocky is heavier, louder and way messier. The same amount of coffee put in produces much less ground coffee (the rest stays in Rocky).

With this knowledge, if I had to choose between a new Vario and a new Rocky, I'd easily go for Vario. On the other hand, if you already have a Rocky that works well, the situation is more muddy. Vario is definitely a generation ahead of Rocky. It dials in more precisely, it is less messy (although if you pre-dose, the last few seconds will throw grounds all around the counter top). Noise wise, Vario seems to be a bit quieter. Speed is about the same (again, I pre-dose, so the last few beans take more time than if the hopper was full). With Rocky, I had to put duct tape in doser to sweep properly, I replaced the hopper cap with click-clack, and I removed the shield in the hopper. At the moment, I have no obvious needs to do any modifications on Vario.

I'll wait a few more weeks, but I think it is Rocky that will go.
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sun Mar 8, 2009, 9:16pm

weiv Said:

My Vario arrived Thursday. After a few days, I found it was very easy to dial in a good grind level. It is relatively quiet. Portaholder works, but not as well as I would hope on my bottomless portafilter - I still have to be careful. Timer function is neat, but I pre-dose (regular/decaf combo and what not).

When you say "pre-dose" do you mean "grind by the dose?"
That is, putting only the amount of beans you wish to grind?
Wasn't quite sure what you meant.
Sounds like you did all you could with your Rocky.
Please keep us up on your Vario adventures!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
weiv

Posted Sun Mar 8, 2009, 9:25pm

Yes, I put in what I want to grind. The reason is that my wife prefers some decaf, while I like regular espresso.

Regards,
v.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sun Mar 8, 2009, 9:43pm

weiv Said:

Yes, I put in what I want to grind. The reason is that my wife prefers some decaf, while I like regular espresso.

Regards,
v.

been there done that.
I always  ground per shot in my SJ...needed a tamper on top of the beans to prevent "popcorning."

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
acp

Posted Sun Mar 8, 2009, 9:49pm

How do ceramic burrs stand up to rocks? Better than steel?
weiv

Posted Sun Mar 8, 2009, 10:04pm

acp Said:

How do ceramic burrs stand up to rocks? Better than steel?

That's a good question. I'm not sure how would I test that.

I do remember that Rocky's speed increased when I replaced the burrs after about 2 years of usage.
acp

Posted Sun Mar 8, 2009, 10:14pm

So for those of you who have one, how easy is it to learn the control panel? Is it intuitive? Logical? Accurate? I've been thinking of upgrading from the Virtuoso and this looks pretty nice.
weiv

Posted Mon Mar 9, 2009, 9:29am

I'd say there are a wee bit more buttons than I like. I'd probably go for another lever to select manual/espresso/drip/french timing. Grind setting is definitely different than Rocky or another grinder where you make adjustments by rotating the hopper. However, once you try it a bit, it is not hard to get comfortable with. As for accurate, I guess you are really asking how repeatable it is. That I don't know yet - I didn't go through enough coffee to say.
JohnBurridge
JohnBurridge

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Premium
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Technivorm, Hario Woodneck
Posted Tue Mar 10, 2009, 11:48am

Well, I've had my Vario for all of 20 minutes, but I seem to be suffering from similar problems to DaveZ, only I haven't even it made it operate successfully once. All I get are blue lights and counting timers, but no motor. There was no manual of any kind in the box (I don't know if that is normal) that I could find, either. The only thing I could think of is that the hopper seems to sit a little loosely at the top, so maybe I need to lock it in more, though I have my doubts since there appears to be very few ways to insert it. DaveZ seems to have found a workaround by fiddling with the sequence of button presses, but no dice for me.

Anyone else overcome this? I hope it's only a hiccup, though I can see myself hoofing it back down to the Green Beanery in the near future.
showing page 3 of 197 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.299901008606)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+