Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DaveZ

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Trying to decide
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Bunn, Keurig
Roaster: popcorn popper
Posted Tue Mar 10, 2009, 12:34pm
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

John,

I also thought it was a hopper issue but i could hear it click as I rotated the hopper into place. I even went so far as to leave the hopper off and engage the  pressure switch with my finger. (Kids, don't try this at home ;-) ) That is why I continued to mess with it until I could make it work and it is repeatable. I wanted to make sure I was not returning a good grinder due to operator error.

Like I said, I can get it to run by pressing one of the Grind Time buttons so a time is displayed on the LCD display, then press the start button and it runs. I can also press one of the preset times but I then have to press the up or down Grind Time button then Start and it will run.

Hope this helps.

Dave
 View Profile Link to this post
JohnBurridge
JohnBurridge
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Premium
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Technivorm, Hario Woodneck
Posted Tue Mar 10, 2009, 12:53pm

DaveZ Said:

John,

I also thought it was a hopper issue but i could hear it click as I rotated the hopper into place. I even went so far as to leave the hopper off and engage the  pressure switch with my finger. (Kids, don't try this at home ;-) ) That is why I continued to mess with it until I could make it work and it is repeatable. I wanted to make sure I was not returning a good grinder due to operator error.

Like I said, I can get it to run by pressing one of the Grind Time buttons so a time is displayed on the LCD display, then press the start button and it runs. I can also press one of the preset times but I then have to press the up or down Grind Time button then Start and it will run.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Posted March 10, 2009 link

Actually, it might help. I found the pressure switch and it seems to run fine, I can engage now engage the machine without the hopper. It looks indeed like the hopper wont lock in properly to actually engage the switch... Hmmm. I may just need to file the threading mechanism on the hopper for it to rotate far enough to engage the switch, or I could always tape down the switch. Part of me wants to make my vendor deal with this, though.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
weiv

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Tue Mar 10, 2009, 1:00pm

Mine wouldn't work at first, but then I realized the hopper didn't go all the way in. Afterward, it worked fine.
JohnBurridge
JohnBurridge
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Premium
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Technivorm, Hario Woodneck
Posted Tue Mar 10, 2009, 1:13pm

weiv Said:

Mine wouldn't work at first, but then I realized the hopper didn't go all the way in. Afterward, it worked fine.

Posted March 10, 2009 link

Bing! Yup, I had just had to gently force the hopper into place. It took two hands since I was scared to break the thing, but everything seems to be working fine now. Whew.

Thanks for the help, folks, and apologies for play-by-play.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mhoy
mhoy

Espresso: Elektra T1
Roaster: HotTop KN-8828D
Posted Tue Mar 10, 2009, 7:12pm

Really, really simple to learn the controls.  

To change the timer.
  1. press up/down until the time you want is shown.
  2. press and hold the button you want to set the time on: Espresso, Filter or Press.

To grind automatically
  1. place something to catch coffee, either portafilter or use the bin
  2. press Espresso, Filter or Press (which really is just some preset times).
  3. Press Automatic to start grinding and watch the counter count down

Overall, very, very happy with my new Vario.  

Mark
kemperj

Espresso: Quickmill Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yep
Drip: PID Bunn BTX
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Whirley pop
Posted Wed Mar 11, 2009, 10:30am

Mark,

How is the range on the vario.  Could someone go from French Press to espresso.  Do you think it has adequate range for both?  I know this is going to be an issue for many of us hoping to find one grinder to do it all.

Jeff
cflorimo

Posted Wed Mar 11, 2009, 11:26am
Subject: Baratza Vario Grinder- 3 weeks to arrive, 10 minutes to break.

My Vario showed up yesterday after three torturous weeks of waiting (it was ordered in conjunction with an Alex Duetto, which has been stuck with pre-ground espresso awaiting the Vario- Both came from Chris's  Coffee Service).  Once I overcame the seemingly common problem of not rotating the hopper far enough to engage the safety switch, it ground like a champ.

The Vario chewed through the included Grindz at a pleasant pace and with not much noise- far less than the cheap capresso 'burr' grinder I had been using for my press pot previously.  Then I fed the Vario a half cup of beans to clean the Grindz residue, and these too went through like gangbusters.  I adjusted down to the espresso range (yes, with the burrs spinning) and then tried to grind some more coffee, but the burr seized and the motor squealed as either the pulley or a belt spun inside.

I had to remove the hopper (which would be far easier if you could close off the bottom before removal), remove the upper burr, shake out all the bean chunks, sweep out all the grinds, blow out all of the dust and then reassemble to get the burr to spin again.  But as soon as I tried to grind coffee, it seized up again.

Normally I would use tools to peek inside to locate the probably-obvious problem, but I just didn't feel like taking a screwdriver to something that had been in my possession for only 6 hours.  Also I was a bit embittered and lacking caffeine and that is a dangerous state for tool wielding.  In an attempt to seek professional help I sent an email to Chris' Coffee Service describing my issue.  Their customer service is often touted as being terrific and they have been prompt and attentive to me in the past, so maybe I was expecting too much from them. When they merely offered their condolences and told me to contact Baratza instead, I was a bit let down.  Had I known that their involvement would end as soon as the grinder was safely delivered I probably would've chosen a supplier much closer than 7 days via ups ground.  I know I shouldn't judge them on a product they neither manufacture, nor test, nor repair- but when something only works for about 20 seconds the overwhelming urge is to take it back to the store and ask for a new one.

I have since emailed Baratza and I'm awaiting their reply.  I will keep you posted on the progress, but right now I have to take my old Illy can down to the office coffee cart to beg for some espresso grind to get me through the week.

Rocco
cflorimo

Posted Wed Mar 11, 2009, 4:42pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Vario Grinder- 3 weeks to arrive, 10 minutes to break.

Well, I called Baratza this afternoon and happened to get Kyle on the phone (once he said his name I recognized his voice from the Coffeegeek podcast).  Not only did he immediately offer to ship me a new grinder, but he was willing to stay on the phone with me and walk me through the steps while I took the grinder apart so we could share a 'look' inside.  I was pleased, since taking it apart was what I had really wanted to do all along.
    Inside we found that one of the motor mounting screws had backed out, allowing the toothed belt to slip on the drive pulley.  And even though I think I'll have no problem adjusting back to proper tension, Kyle still offered to send me a new one if I felt that I would have any trouble with it at all.

I am certainly quite pleased with my Baratza experience in terms of their eagerness to assist (and to track down any problems with the initial production machines).  I'm hoping for good things when I get to grinding this evening.

Further updates as events warrant,
Rocco
greatphotos

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Mar 11, 2009, 4:51pm

The belt on the Vario can't slip, it's a timing belt with raised areas that engage a gear. It's probably a calibration change to fix it which can be done by the user if they choose. You can call Baratza directly on the phone and they will get you to the right person immediately. They did for me. No need to wait for email. Then if they determine you need a new grinder they can ship it right then.
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Wed Mar 11, 2009, 5:13pm

greatphotos Said:

The belt on the Vario can't slip, it's a timing belt with raised areas that engage a gear.

Posted March 11, 2009 link

Not sure I understand why you would say it "can't" slip.  the "raised areas that engage a gear" only make it less likely to slip, but not that it can't.  a timing belt on a car can slip as can a bicycle chain on the toothed gears.  If the belt is loose (as it appears to have been) makes a slipping belt quite likely.
showing page 4 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.292989015579)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+