Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 180 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 11:21am
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

Hey guys, new Vario owner here.  I've recently upgraded from a Breville 840/Smart Grinder combo to a La Nuova Era Cuadra ii/Vario setup.  An odd thing I noticed...

From pretty much all the reading I've done and video's I've watched, most people have the grinder set with the macro all the way to the top and use the micro switch for adjusting the grind.  There are a few that keep the macro maybe one notch down, but for the most part, it's almost always near the top.

I've found with my machine, I need to keep the grind set at about 4-k in order to not choke out the machine.  Not tamping very hard, maybe 15-20 pounds, and I can get a good 2oz, 27 second shot.  Any lower, on the grinder and the coffee is just dripping out, or not coming out at all.  Does this sound normal to you?  Or do you think my Vario is set too fine?

I've also noticed, when doing the calibration (starting with both levers at the bottom) that I hear a change in motor speed simply moving the macro lever to the top.  It's not drastic, but there is definitely a change in sound.  Should it be doing that?

Thanks for any help!
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 11:53am

MDiddy Said:

Hey guys, new Vario owner here.  I've recently upgraded from a Breville 840/Smart Grinder combo to a La Nuova Era Cuadra ii/Vario setup.  An odd thing I noticed...

From pretty much all the reading I've done and video's I've watched, most people have the grinder set with the macro all the way to the top and use the micro switch for adjusting the grind.  There are a few that keep the macro maybe one notch down, but for the most part, it's almost always near the top.

Posted January 19, 2013 link

No, that's not a fact. Actually, I'd say most are set one notch down, and a few 2 notches down.

I've found with my machine, I need to keep the grind set at about 4-k in order to not choke out the machine.  Not tamping very hard, maybe 15-20 pounds, and I can get a good 2oz, 27 second shot.  Any lower, on the grinder and the coffee is just dripping out, or not coming out at all.  Does this sound normal to you?  Or do you think my Vario is set too fine?

Yes, too fine. Clean your grinder, and perform the calibration again, making sure both levers are all the way down before commencing.

I've also noticed, when doing the calibration (starting with both levers at the bottom) that I hear a change in motor speed simply moving the macro lever to the top.  It's not drastic, but there is definitely a change in sound.  Should it be doing that?

Yes, normally, I suggest going one notch down, THEN raising the Micro lever up till you hear a change. If no change, then use the tool to go finer.

Thanks for any help!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MDiddy

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 12:53pm

Something may be amiss with my Vario.  Looking at this video, you can see when the macro side is moved all the way to the top, there's no change in sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkBrDpbCAEs

On my grinder, I loosened the adjustment screw pretty much as far as it could go (actually took it the whole way out and had to screw it back in) and mine is still changing motor sounds when I move the macro all the way to the top:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCCB2P0-T0I

Since I've loosened the screw as far as it will go, I'm thinking there's an issue with my Vario and I may need to contact Baratza.
greekespresso
greekespresso
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mahlkönig Vario Home, Anfim...
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 1:37pm

Hi Matt, someone had the same issue (not problem) like yours a few post before.
"Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread"
Unfortunately, I cannot find the Craigs' detailed instructions so until he comes for a help you might find the following reading about PRIMARY CALIBRATION helpful.
Click Here (www.baratza.com)

PS If you do not use the grinder for french press, I assume you have to do nothing.

www.greekespresso.gr
MDiddy

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 1:45pm

greekespresso Said:

Hi Matt, someone had the same issue (not problem) like yours a few post before.
"Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread"
Unfortunately, I cannot find the Craigs' detailed instructions so until he comes for a help you might find the following reading about PRIMARY CALIBRATION helpful.
Click Here (www.baratza.com)

PS If you do not use the grinder for french press, I assume you have to do nothing.

Was just coming on to update.

I found the instructions on Baratza's site to calibrate for a more coarse grind.  Removed the upper burr, cleaned both, loosened the front screw down to one turn, and then removed the rubber seal to uncover the other screw.  Found it was set more towards the middle-back, so I loosened it up a bit, moved it towards the front a bit, and then tightened back up.  

Once I had that done, the grinder was no longer changing sound when I moved the macro lever to the top.  I then followed the basic calibration to tighten up the front screw until the motor slowed at bit when the micro level was in the middle and I think I'm now good to go.  

I haven't pulled a shot yet, but I tested some grinds, and it looks now that on 3-E, I'm getting close to the same consistancy I was getting on the 4-K grind previously.  I'm going to attempt pulling some shots later on today and see what I can get.

Thanks for the help!  :)
Tert

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 2:11pm

As I wrote three weeks ago, I received the Vario-W with steel burrs and was unable to make expresso fine grounds. Now I have installed ceramic burrs ordered from Baratza in the US, and to my big satisfaction the grinder works so well that I donīt even need to calibrate the machine. The warranty seal covering the calibrating hole is unbroken -- still a virgine Vario -- and she gives me excellent coffee one notch down on the macro side and half way for the micro.
greekespresso
greekespresso
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mahlkönig Vario Home, Anfim...
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 2:29pm

MDiddy Said:

Thanks for the help!  :)

My pleasure

www.greekespresso.gr
bglenden

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 3:18pm

Following up. I was the person who couldn't grind coarse. Following the advice here and from Baratza I reported:

"I ordered a burr remover and it arrived today, so I did a thorough cleaning (upper and lower burrs, took both out). I noticed that when I put my finger on the lower platform that I can feel it change "thunking" and changing position from about 1 through 5, but as far as it feels to my fingers its stationary for 5+ (and no longer "thunks"). Is this consistent with the adjustment plate being out of position? How can it be put back in position?

I did a calibration, and it was out by about a third of the fine scale (on the coarse side)."

Baratza (Pierce) suspects a problem with gearbox alignment, and at their initiative are sending me a replacement (machine is about 6 months old).

Cheers,
Brian
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 3:37pm

Tert Said:

As I wrote three weeks ago, I received the Vario-W with steel burrs and was unable to make expresso fine grounds. Now I have installed ceramic burrs ordered from Baratza in the US, and to my big satisfaction the grinder works so well that I donīt even need to calibrate the machine. The warranty seal covering the calibrating hole is unbroken -- still a virgine Vario -- and she gives me excellent coffee one notch down on the macro side and half way for the micro.

That is about where they should be to give you a good range for espresso, yet allow for a nice french Press.
Not referring to you, I'm seeing a bit too much 'fiddling" without READING.
Folks, PLEASE read the entire manual, and listen NOT for motor strain, but just a change of pitch when performing the calibration procedure.
Remember, these are NEWW burrs, and may grind a wee bit differently than they will after 5 #'s.
In my case, the grind actually got a bit finer after a few weeks. Instead of recalibrating, I just changed my settings a bit.
Once calibrated, there should be no need to perfrom that again, except if something drastically changes.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ethom

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar, Silvia broken :o(
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bosch
Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 9:47am

MDiddy Said:

Something may be amiss with my Vario.  

On my grinder, I loosened the adjustment screw pretty much as far as it could go (actually took it the whole way out and had to screw it back in) and mine is still changing motor sounds when I move the macro all the way to the top:

I have a similar condition, and an additional concern, with a brand new Vario.  With the macro at the top and micro at lowest setting, I can hear a slight sound change. With any micro above the lowest setting, the burrs audibly make contact with a snicking sound as if some ceramic is being shaved off.  I too loosened the calibration screw until it felt very loose, though it didn't quite fall out, but I still couldn't rid the burr contact sound. I don't  hear the motor laboring or tone change, maybe because I'm so focused on the burr contact noise.

I calied Baratza where Colin said hearing the burrs making contact was perfectly normal and the sounds I was hearing were fine.  Removing the upper burr, I could see that the outermost edges were newly worn down a bit, more on one side of the burr ring than the other.

Now I'm at an impass. In other situations with coffee equipment, if it sounded bad or somehow felt wrong, there usually was a problem that resulted in some type of failure.  However, the manufacturer is saying all is fine with the Vario.

What do you all think?  Should you be able to hear the burrs hitting each other with an almost-but-not-quite-metallic shaving sound and then see ceramic dust from the burrs inside?

Thanks,
Tom...
showing page 180 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.388520002365)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+