Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cflorimo

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Mar 11, 2009, 5:56pm
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

kemperj Said:

How is the range on the vario.  Could someone go from French Press to espresso.  Do you think it has adequate range for both?  I know this is going to be an issue for many of us hoping to find one grinder to do it all.

Posted March 11, 2009 link

While talking to Kyle at Baratza he mentioned that there will be an adjustment possible to trade some of the machine-choking powdery range for more press-pot chunky range.  After he takes a trip to the factory this weekend that should be worked out and made available.  I intend to use mine for both, which is what I had mentioned to him.  I'll let you know how I fare.

Rocco
 View Profile Link to this post
mhoy
mhoy

Espresso: Elektra T1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: HotTop KN-8828D
Posted Wed Mar 11, 2009, 6:26pm

kemperj Said:

Mark,
How is the range on the vario.  Could someone go from French Press to espresso.  Do you think it has adequate range for both?  I know this is going to be an issue for many of us hoping to find one grinder to do it all.

Jeff

I must say that I've not even tried to do anything other than Espresso so far and I've never used a French Press.  Stepping out to the kitchen...

Stepping back from the kitchen...
When set to the coarsest on both adjustment, it's not a 'really' coarse grind by my grinding standards but I think it would be fine for drip coffee.

Mark
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Mar 11, 2009, 7:16pm

I'm curious what people in general feel is 'coarse enough' for press pot.

The test Vario I have here has a full macro click of adjustment left when I grind for press at a grind coarseness that is acceptable (to me at least). On the espresso side, I still have about 20 micro adjustments left when I grind for ristretto shots.

Different coffee grinds differently (ie density of the bean, screen size, etc), but there's over 23 micro steps of adjustment left when I grind for press - to go coarser still!

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Mar 11, 2009, 9:21pm

Mark...I am often amazed by how coarse I see some of my friends grinding for press Pot. Boulders...lol
I found using a bit coarser than drip does it...and not that much coarser.
OT..  
Alan Frew has a nice instructional on his store's web site. I believe you've published one as well?
Anyhow, "bb" sized chunks aren't necessary, IMO. Evenness of grind, with a minimum of dust is the key. Again, IMO.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
cflorimo

Posted Wed Mar 11, 2009, 9:29pm

My plan for finding my press pot grind is to start with a coarse load, dump it ON TOP of the screen and then jiggle a bit to see how much dust gets through.  Then empty, grind finer, and repeat.  When the dust level starts to climb it should give me an indication that I've gone too fine.  
    At least, that's my theory.  I'm having too much fun playing with esspresso grinds right now to worry about it.

Rocco
pumpkinscastle

Espresso: Quickmilll Vetrano
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Thu Mar 12, 2009, 8:24am

So, except for the initial hiccups, there seems to be a lot of encouraging news about the Vario. And the company has great customer service. This is very important.

Now, at that price point my only concern is the following: WHy wouldn't one just get a used Super Jolly (or if scored right, even a Mazzer Major) on ebay for approximately the same money? I know some people say that the Mazzers are not good French Press grinders, but in my experience they are, delivering a very, very clean cup. And their Turkish ability is definitely there (not many people here drink Turkish anyway, methinks). I have never tried the SJ for drip, as I just don't drink drip. The Vario might offer ease of dialing in over the SJ (which still needs to confirmed by owners who cover a huge range of grind size and switch back and forth quite frequently with consistency), but other than that, at that price point the Vario must hold its own on more accounts than just ease of dialing in. Any comments on that from people who have used both? Not trying to spread negative vibes, but just honestly curious...

I've followed up on the release of the Vario quite eagerly, and I am glad that Baratza was finally able to produce a grinder that CAN effortlessly grind for good espresso (unlike their other models). Bravo! I'd definitely want to check the grinder out in the store. Any chance it will be at Williams & Sonoma (they have the Virtuoso)?

Have fun with your Varios and keep reporting back, guys! Don't be stingy with your observations!
weiv

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Thu Mar 12, 2009, 9:52am

I can tell you my reason to go for Vario over something else - size and noise.
DaveZ

Espresso: Trying to decide
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Bunn, Keurig
Roaster: popcorn popper
Posted Thu Mar 12, 2009, 5:29pm

MarkPrince Said:

I'm curious what people in general feel is 'coarse enough' for press pot.

The test Vario I have here has a full macro click of adjustment left when I grind for press at a grind coarseness that is acceptable (to me at least). On the espresso side, I still have about 20 micro adjustments left when I grind for ristretto shots.

Different coffee grinds differently (ie density of the bean, screen size, etc), but there's over 23 micro steps of adjustment left when I grind for press - to go coarser still!

Mark

I received my replacement grinder and it is working just as it should.

As far as the grind, I am not real sure how to describe it other than to say the coarsest setting appears to be just a bit finer than what you would normally get out of a can/plastic tub/bag of pre ground stuff from the coffee aisle at the grocery store. It is a bit finer than the pre ground stuff *$ sells by the bag.

It is fine enough to about double the brew time in the little brew basket (mesh of some kind) you can buy to use your own coffee in a Keurig Single Serving coffee machine.

I have yet to try it in my Yama with the Cona Rod but it added about 20-30 seconds to the draw down from the previously mentioned canned or bagged pre ground coffee using the cloth filter.

On a different note, I really do like the size. Fits really well in a home kitchen without sticking out.

Dave
JohnBurridge
JohnBurridge

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Premium
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Technivorm, Hario Woodneck
Posted Thu Mar 12, 2009, 5:39pm

DaveZ Said:

I received my replacement grinder and it is working just as it should.

As far as the grind, I am not real sure how to describe it other than to say the coarsest setting appears to be just a bit finer than what you would normally get out of a can/plastic tub/bag of pre ground stuff from the coffee aisle at the grocery store. It is a bit finer than the pre ground stuff *$ sells by the bag.

It is fine enough to about double the brew time in the little brew basket (mesh of some kind) you can buy to use your own coffee in a Keurig Single Serving coffee machine.

I have yet to try it in my Yama with the Cona Rod but it added about 20-30 seconds to the draw down from the previously mentioned canned or bagged pre ground coffee using the cloth filter.

On a different note, I really do like the size. Fits really well in a home kitchen without sticking out.

Dave

Posted March 12, 2009 link

Dave,

Have you checked our Mark's photos on flickr pertaining to grind size? Do you get the same or similar results?
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Mar 12, 2009, 7:21pm

JohnBurridge Said:

Dave,

Have you checked our Mark's photos on flickr pertaining to grind size? Do you get the same or similar results?

Posted March 12, 2009 link

Those "grinds" look like wood chips..LOL

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
showing page 5 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.325684070587)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+