Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 198 of 198 first page previous page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Jun 15, 2014, 12:52pm
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

CoffeeRon Said:

You can get that on Baratzas  website here-

LINK

How long have you had the grinder? If it's not real old they might just send you one for free if you gave them a call. Otherwise $25 isn't that bad anyways.

Ron

Edit- not sure why it's not linking, I guess you can copy/paste though- so much trouble- LOL

Posted June 15, 2014 link

Hi Ron,

I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of making the hyperlink for you in your post above. The CG's software program doesn't link SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) URL's., so I made the link work. {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Jun 15, 2014, 12:54pm

CraigA Said:

Hi Ron,

I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of making the hyperlink for you in your post above. The CG's software program doesn't link SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) URL's., so I made the link work. {;-)

Posted June 15, 2014 link

THX Craig :)
 View Profile Link to this post
carlosmtzo

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jun 15, 2014, 7:58pm

Thank you
KyleAnderson
KyleAnderson
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Dalla Corte Mini
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Jun 16, 2014, 12:10pm

Carlos,
Please send a photo to me so we can better determine that part that is burnt. We have replacement power boards in stock so i know we can quickly get you back up and running. Please send photo to support@baratza.com

Regards,
Kyle Anderson
Angman
Angman

Espresso: Strega, MCal, Cimbali M20L
Grinder: K10 Fresh, HG One 83mm,...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Technivorm, Hario Woodneck,...
Roaster: Hottop 8828P
Posted Mon Jun 16, 2014, 3:02pm

KyleAnderson Said:

Carlos,
Please send a photo to me so we can better determine that part that is burnt. We have replacement power boards in stock so i know we can quickly get you back up and running. Please send photo to support@baratza.com

Regards,
Kyle Anderson

Posted June 16, 2014 link

Again, this is why Kyle and Baratza is best in the industry when it comes to service and value.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Jun 16, 2014, 5:04pm

Angman Said:

Again, this is why Kyle and Baratza is best in the industry when it comes to service and value.

Posted June 16, 2014 link

We can't leave out Kyra as well! ;>D

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Trh22

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Posted Tue Aug 19, 2014, 9:55am

Hi All,
new here on Coffeegeek. First of all I agree the Baratza support team is superb, friendly and helpful. I have a Vario I got several months ago and for espresso I can get good quality shots. My issue is, I thought it was supposed to be able to get coarse enough for other brewing methods, which is where I am having trouble. I have spoke with thier phone support, who where their best at being helpful, but I am unable to get a cup of coffee either in Chemex, drip machine or press that is not terribly bitter. I am struggling to get a coarse enough grind and can not tell the difference by the naked eye really between grinds at macro 7 through 10. The support team recommended I start at 7 for chemex, and I have already gotten into the 9 range to get a brew time around 5 min. My wifes drip coffee machine I am down to macro 10 micro all the way the the coarsest setting and still bitter. I am using the setting out of the box, and wondering if I should calibrate coarser at the risk of loosing my espresso capabilities? or sending it to Baratza to have them trouble shoot it? For a nearly $500 machine I was hopping I could get a bit better coffee experience. However, it does do the job for espresso at the moment. Any advise?
thanks,
TH
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Aug 19, 2014, 10:58am

Trh22 Said:

Hi All,
new here on Coffeegeek. First of all I agree the Baratza support team is superb, friendly and helpful. I have a Vario I got several months ago and for espresso I can get good quality shots. My issue is, I thought it was supposed to be able to get coarse enough for other brewing methods, which is where I am having trouble. I have spoke with thier phone support, who where their best at being helpful, but I am unable to get a cup of coffee either in Chemex, drip machine or press that is not terribly bitter. I am struggling to get a coarse enough grind and can not tell the difference by the naked eye really between grinds at macro 7 through 10. The support team recommended I start at 7 for chemex, and I have already gotten into the 9 range to get a brew time around 5 min. My wifes drip coffee machine I am down to macro 10 micro all the way the the coarsest setting and still bitter. I am using the setting out of the box, and wondering if I should calibrate coarser at the risk of loosing my espresso capabilities? or sending it to Baratza to have them trouble shoot it? For a nearly $500 machine I was hopping I could get a bit better coffee experience. However, it does do the job for espresso at the moment. Any advise?
thanks,
TH

Posted August 19, 2014 link

You can loosen the calibration with the calibration tool so your espresso setting works with the Macro at the top notch, and Micro halfway down. This will give you enough leeway for most SO's and blends.
By doing this, you should be able to get good French press grinds 1 or 2 notches from the bottom (Macro)
If not, just get Encore for your press coffee. It's a conical design might be more to your liking for that purpose. This is not a concern for me as I do Kalita manual and espresso with my Forte (and earlier Vario-W)

Edited for typo.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Trh22

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Posted Wed Aug 20, 2014, 10:37am

thank you for the reply. So, I went ahead and did the calibration coarser, it seems I am now calibrated to a decent shot at around 1-N range. That generally allowed me to go almost one whole macro setting coarser. Still the issue is as mentioned before, there is so little difference in grind size visually between a 7 setting and 10 setting, that I am not certain the adjustment translates into a noticable benefit.
I certainly appreciate your input, but buying another grinder after spending nearly $500 on one is not an option for me. The Vario was advertised to do the job from espresso to FP from all the I read which is why I bought it. Its a bit disappointing, as it appears that is not entirely true?
Thanks for the response!
Tim
showing page 198 of 198 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.345081090927)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+