Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Compak K3 Grinder User's Thread
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Compak K3...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Mar 14, 2009, 9:52am
Subject: Re: The Compak K3 Grinder User's Thread

MarkPrince Said:

Well that's it for now. Thoughts?

Posted March 14, 2009 link

Great start, Mark -- just the sort of information I was looking for . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
niwot

Espresso: Silvia v2
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Vac Pot: Quoi?
Drip: Post nasal
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Mar 16, 2009, 7:20pm

niwot Said:

I would really like to get one of the K3 mini hoppers for use on a K6. Just curious if anyone knows a source for purchasing the mini hopper separately. If not I'll check with one or more dealers, and I'll post a follow-up if I learn anything.

Posted March 13, 2009 link

Espresso Parts NW will sell the K3 mini hopper separately. The part number is K02286. I'm still thinking it over, but if anyone is interested you're welcome to email EPNW.
Viernes
Viernes
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 Fresh
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Sun Mar 29, 2009, 9:31am

How do you clean your K3? Rice? Grindz? And how often?

Actually I dissamble the burr carrier and try to clean all coffee with a brush, but it's very time consuming, there's a lot of stall coffee inside.
GC7

Posted Mon Mar 30, 2009, 7:33am

About 1 time per month I run 40-50 gm of minute rice through the grinder and then vacuum and compressed air clean followed by some coffee and repeat the vacuum and air cleaning.

Every day I vacuum out the grind chamber (my small carry Oreck tube fits perfectly inside) and pulse out the remaining grinds vacuuming the residue. This takes about 1 minute.

However, I'm getting a much louder sound this morning when grinding.  I changed coffees (Liq Amber Blend).  I loosened the grind way down to coarse settings and then vacuumed out the chamber before resetting but its still making that sound.  It's not junk (rock etc) in the beans and I don't think the burrs could be touching as I use a much tighter setting for SO ethiopians at low dose and decafe.  Thoughts?
OvenRoasted

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Compak k3 Yellow Woo!
Drip: Bodum 8 Cup French Press
Roaster: Behmor/Popper
Posted Mon Mar 30, 2009, 9:19am

Are the Rubber guard fingers hitting the burrs?
GC7

Posted Mon Mar 30, 2009, 11:33am

OvenRoasted Said:

Are the Rubber guard fingers hitting the burrs?

Posted March 30, 2009 link

Good Question - One is gone already and I should just take out the other one.  It's more of a high pitched sound then I think rubber would make.  I called Chris Coffee and the tech wants to listen over the phone if the sound continues.

The grinds are still fine. 26 second 1.75 oz liquid amber pulls with no channeling.
jorgeelizondom

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Mar 30, 2009, 4:08pm
Subject: Re: consistency in doze weight for a given volume

I'm kind of concerned/puzzled by the variation in doze weight given the same volume.

After grinding I use the handle of my scoop to level the PF flat. Always use the same procedure: do not tamp, level using NSEW, never disturbing the grounds, etc.
After leveling, I have recently began weighting to measure how consistent is the doze weight. I found that the doze weight varies from 16 to 18gr, sometimes varying these 2 grams within a day difference (same humidity, batch, etc).

Is this variation too extreme?  

I appreciate your comments.
GC7

Posted Mon Mar 30, 2009, 6:36pm
Subject: Re: consistency in doze weight for a given volume

Jorge

I can't explain what you're observing except that I would bet that the variation isn't from the grinder.

Have you used the touch feature and weighed the coffee?  I've found pretty consistent results from touch dosing so long as the hopper has a reasonable amount of beans and you use the same beans.  I've not tried that from day to day but only during a prolonged series of shots from an individual bean preparation.

Also, my noise went away after changing coffee to pull an Ethiopia IMV SO shot (heavenly) and then resetting the grind (tighter) to make a decafe cappuccino.  I can't explain it but I'm happy and its humming quietly away.
theonh

Posted Thu Aug 13, 2009, 12:36pm

I too have noticed that there is an issue with grind retention with this machine. There is basically a ring of coffee left around the side of the sweeper within the burr chamber (I'll try to get a picture up of what I'm talking about next time I clean it). I'm not sure if it's only my sweeper, but the metal sweeper arms don't make it all the way to the edge of the circular chamber which I think is responsible for most of the grind retention.

I'm thinking of attaching some velcro or something to the end of the sweeper so it can get closer to the edge. Anyone think this is a good idea/have a better idea?
theonh

Posted Thu Aug 13, 2009, 12:44pm

Actually, SM has some pictures of what I'm talking about. In the second set of images, it's the image on the right. The gap between the edge and those 3 metallic sweeper arms leave a big circle of coffee left from grind to grind.

Click Here (www.sweetmarias.com)
showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Compak K3...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.305717945099)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+