Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Compak K3 Grinder User's Thread
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Compak K3...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
Author Messages
jorgeelizondom

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Feb 14, 2009, 12:09pm
Subject: The Compak K3 Grinder User's Thread

Hi,
I'm new to "real" espresso. My first serious gear is on the way (Alexia/Compak K3) and would like some help with the initial setup of the grinder.

I know that the K3 has a very broad (aka little usefull) scale markings but it would be helpful if you could help me to get started with an initial startup position and how big (mm-wise) adjustments should I make to dial it in.

Something like this would help a lot: "Start at the midpoint between dot 4 and 5 and work your way counterclockwise by 2 mm at a time" for example, but any pointers suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you
 View Profile Link to this post
wenus2

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astoria, Oscar, GB5
Grinder: Mazzers
Vac Pot: TCA-5
Drip: Drop...clever
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sat Feb 14, 2009, 12:38pm
Subject: Re: Compak K3 users: help on initial setup and dial-in

It will come from the factory calibrated to the espresso range, so the "start between dot 4 and 5" part should be taken care of.

Unfortunately, the fine adjustments it will require are based on too many variables for anyone to presume what actions you will need to take.
Without further information it's not even possible to tell you which direction to turn the adjustment collar.
I can tell you this:
clockwise -> course
counter-clockwise -> fine

That's a nice set-up you've got comming, enjoy!

enjoy the journey
-jw
jorgeelizondom

Posted Sun Feb 15, 2009, 8:05am

OK thanks wenus
GC7

Posted Mon Feb 16, 2009, 8:25am

Here is a photo of my Compak K3 touch in the espresso range which will obviously vary a bit from day to day and with different coffees.  

Also, notice my homemade calibration scale whcih is very easy to make and it works a heck of alot better then the sad scale on what is otherwise a really good grinder.

GC7: Compak K3 adjustment scale.jpg
(Click for larger image)
jorgeelizondom

Posted Mon Feb 16, 2009, 9:40am

a Home made scale seems helpful indeed.

Follow-up question:
what would you say is the minimum amount of adjustment that you would notice a change in taste? 1mm? 2mm? etc
In other words what is the minimum resulution of the grind adjustment?

Again, thanks for your help.
GC7

Posted Mon Feb 16, 2009, 12:20pm

Jorge

Each mark on my scale is made at 2 mm intervals.

If I change from a regular to a decafe for the wife's cappuccinos it may go from 22-23 all the way up to a finer grind at 25-26.  Usually I don't need to move more then 2-3 mm to fine tune a volume or time for a shot. As reference to where I am you can see the centerline of the grinder at about 11 on my scale.
OvenRoasted

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Compak k3 Yellow Woo!
Drip: Bodum 8 Cup French Press
Roaster: Behmor/Popper
Posted Tue Feb 17, 2009, 6:20pm

GC can you use this grinder for French Press?
GC7

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2009, 9:08pm

I can't answer the question about french press and the COmpak K3 as I have never attempted to grind for anything but espresso.

I have a Virtuoso grinder that I use for french press and it works fantastically well for that purpose.

Sorry
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Feb 18, 2009, 1:01am

GC7 Said:

Also, notice my homemade calibration scale whcih is very easy to make and it works a heck of alot better then the sad scale on what is otherwise a really good grinder.

Posted February 16, 2009 link

Compak has shown great ability in the past to answering professional wants and demands for modifications and changes on their pro line of grinders, putting the K10 and K6 through evolutionary changes to meet those demands (often, the pros equate them and Mazzer as a day and night difference in terms of cooperative discussions).

We're getting three Compak grinders for Detailed Review for the new CG site - and it seems that this complaint about the K3 is common, so I'll be sure to bring it up with them.

Best case scenario - they put a new collar on with better detailed markings, and make it retrofittable and available for sale for existing K3s.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GC7

Posted Wed Feb 18, 2009, 8:42am

Mark

That would be a great service to the Compak customer base if you could do that. My scale (otherwise known as ultra low temperature freezer laboratory tape) will be in need of replacement from general wear and tear in the future.  A permanent fix would be nice if only for the aesthetics.

Thanks

Geoffrey
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Compak K3...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.249366998672)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+