Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Capresso Infinity - stuck burr
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Capresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
The_Shadow

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: NS Aurelia 2 group, 1977...
Grinder: NS MDX, NS Grinta, KyM...
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: BUNN VPR/LPG Combo
Roaster: Leave That To The Pros
Posted Tue Dec 23, 2008, 11:31am
Subject: Re: Capresso Infinity - stuck burr

Yeah most grinders like this have some sort of ball/spring that click into detents to hold that setting. I took my Infinity apart and removed these parts so I simply spin the hopper where I want the burr alignment to be and it's stepless. Not rocket science, but it does have pretty much an infinite amount of settings. Instead of being stuck with marked settings that click in place you can really fine tune the grind. Only thing I don't really like about the grinder is the way the grounds are retained on the carousel (under the lower burr). I'm going to modify that part so it sweeps the grinding chamber, instead of the grounds being flung away all over the place. It's not my primary grinder, so I haven't taken the time to do it, but will let you know how well it works and possibly take a few pics. Later!
 View Profile Link to this post
sportychop

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Brewtus II, Gaggia Classic,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Nuova Simonelli...
Posted Wed Dec 24, 2008, 8:07am

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me where you got the tool to fit the tamper proof screws?
Chappy

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: none
Posted Sun Apr 5, 2009, 11:01pm

Yes.  Was this an older version that was modded?  The screws look like torx type, but they don't appear to be a standard size on my torx wrench set.  Maybe you modify the settings from the top of the grinder?  I would be interested in more detail.
The_Shadow

Posted Mon Apr 6, 2009, 7:32am

The Infinity I took apart is about 2 years old. It does have those weird Torx screws with the little knob in the center of them, but I bought a set of Torx drivers with a hole in the middle of each one for screws like this. I simply took it apart and removed the ball/spring and this allows the hopper to be turned in any direction with no clicks to bother with.

I've been thinking of coming up with some sort of sweeper system for the grinding chamber so the grounds retention is minimized. That's the only problem I find with this grinder. The burrs are nice, but a lousy grounds delivery system.

How well does the Infinity work with Silvia? Later!
Chappy

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: none
Posted Mon Apr 6, 2009, 1:43pm

Interesting.  So you removed the bottom rather than the burrs?  (There are 3 ball bearings beneath the lower burr, I assume these aren't the same bearings you refer to. ) I guess I just need these special torx drivers--do you remember which size you used?  The hole in the driver must allow for a little play if the size isn't standard?  Thanks for the info.

Yes, I was told by many people that the Infinity wouldn't work with the Silvia.  I don't find this to be the case, but I made sure to get the LM baskets which help.  The only issue is that almost every espresso roast comes in between clicks, but it seems like this is pretty easy to work around.  I just, for example, grind 1/3 of my dose the 3rd lowest click and 2/3 of the dose at the 2nd lowest click.  A tad annoying, but maybe this takes me an extra 5 seconds?  No big deal, but it would be nice to make it stepless since it sounds easy enough to do...well once I get that damn screw off!
The_Shadow

Posted Mon Apr 6, 2009, 2:17pm

Yeah I removed the actual metal housing. I have the metal bodied version and it's held in place by those Torx screws, same as the lower burr, just different size I think. I remove the lower burr every now and then to give it a good cleaning. I'm going to modify the carousel (nylon part the grounds fall onto) to give it a sweeping effect. Instead of the grounds falling onto it and then being slung down into the chute, I plan to modify it so the grounds fall onto the grinding chamber bottom and then get swept out, like I've seen on many conical design grinders.

Just checked the size..... the burr screw is a T20, which you might already know. Can't tell you the size of the 4 housing screws. They were Torx, but when I was able to get them out I installed allen head screws of the same thread size.

If you get the housing off you'll see a place where there is a steel ball and a spring. This is what lets the collar click in place for each number. I simply removed those 2 things and now I move the hopper exactly where I want it and that's it. No more steps.

I had thought about using the burrs from the Infinity to make some sort of hand grinder. Mount the lower burr on a shaft supported by ball bearings with some sort of threaded mechanism to make micro adjustments, make the upper burr stationary and make the adjustments by moving the lower burr up/down. This would allow the grounds to fall straight down and would leave nothing behind. But for the cost of most hand grinders it might be more trouble than it's worth. Later!
dkoch
dkoch

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Roaster: air poppers
Posted Thu Apr 9, 2009, 9:08am

I need a new hopper for my Infinity.  

After cleaning out the grinds and re-inserting plastic (poor design) hopper, the corner ends on the bottom of the hopper snapped off.  I believe it still functions good enough for my Gaggia Classic.  Where's a good place to get one?
The_Shadow

Posted Thu Apr 9, 2009, 12:09pm

Only place I know of is directly from Capresso. A few years ago I was washing the hopper for my Infinity and having slippery hands caused me to drop it and that snapped the lip off the bottom. I think it was only $5 and shipping.

I will probably post this in the Buy/Trade section....... I'm going to sell my Infinity (metal bodied version) and the first pump machine I had (CapressoBAR 351) so I can buy a nice hand grinder to match my Cremina lever if you know anybody interested. Later!
dkoch
dkoch

Posted Thu Apr 9, 2009, 5:19pm

Only place I know of is directly from Capresso.....I think it was only $5 and shipping.

Good memory...exactly!!  I ordered one later today after finding it was more expensive at the store where I bought the grinder. $5 and $6 to ship it to me.  Thanks!!
dkoch
dkoch

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009, 8:39am

JVBorella Said:

I found that when this happened you could set the hopper on like you normally would & then turn it clockwise until it drops in & engages with the slots. Once it does then turn it back to the normal install position  & the burr should lift out again.

Posted December 19, 2008 link

This procedure worked exactly like you said, and I was able to clean my grinder too.  Thanks so much!!
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Capresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.255196094513)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+