Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Virtuoso - how long before burr replacement?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
DebB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Dec 7, 2008, 6:36am
Subject: Baratza Virtuoso - how long before burr replacement?

I've had my Baratza Virtuoso for just over a year.  It has ground less than 100 lbs (I'd say maybe 50 max) and recently I have been having problems with it where it is just not grinding.  It will jam up just days after a cleaning.  Do the burrs need replaced already?  Any help would be appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
pilgrim5
pilgrim5
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Salivatore
Grinder: Bunn/LPG & Macap M4
Vac Pot: Yamer/aeropress
Drip: Bunn VPR series
Roaster: Bred mach /heat gun and stir...
Posted Sun Dec 7, 2008, 1:37pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Virtuoso - how long before burr replacement?

Well the burrs for this grinder are cheap so go get some!  The lower price grinders do not have the same quality metal or heat-treating as the expensive burrs do so there going to fail faster.  Just to give you an idea of the cost of burrs on high end grinders the burrs for my Bunn LPG cost $200.00 a pair!  Bunn clams there good for grinding 33,000 pounds of coffee, i expect them to last a life time.

One way to make sure burrs Jam is to adjust the grind without the burrs running in motion, you should always adjust burrs when the grinder is running even on the 2k grinders you have to do that.
Frost
Frost
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Sun Dec 7, 2008, 2:13pm

I think it highly unlikely your clogging problem is due to worn out burrs. When cleaning the burrs, did you remove the top burr and clean the area under the bottom burr? There is a white plastic 'paddle wheel' down there that pushes the grounds to the front and down a shoot to the bin. I'm thinking (based on several I've cleaned out) that this area is clogged up. I have seen a couple where it was clogged so bad the paddle wheel had to be replaced because it was worn to a stub.  ....As always, Baratza came through for me in short order to get the required replacement parts. Also, if that area is clear and you still have a problem, you will need to dis-assemble and clean out the shoot area.
DebB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Dec 7, 2008, 2:46pm

This may be a stupid question but how do I clean under the bottom burr?  I've cleaned the top burr and I've cleaned the chute leading to the grounds bin.  I try getting brush into the areas of the bottom burr but I don't know how to get it out to clean under it.  Thanks!
Frost
Frost
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Sun Dec 7, 2008, 3:08pm

DebB Said:

This may be a stupid question but how do I clean under the bottom burr?  I've cleaned the top burr and I've cleaned the chute leading to the grounds bin.  I try getting brush into the areas of the bottom burr but I don't know how to get it out to clean under it.  Thanks!

Posted December 7, 2008 link

You did remove the top burr then?

I don't think you need to take the bottom burr off (but it is possible, just reverse threaded: turn clockwise to loosen) I would suggest to use a toothpick or such ( I use a bamboo skewer stick) and dig out around all the vanes of that plastic paddle wheel. If it's really bad you may need to remove the bottom burr, but sometimes they can be on real tight and hard to budge. (also may need to hold the motor shaft to stop it from spinning on you, this would require dis-assembly)  While poking around in there try to make sure the entry to the shoot is clear: it is in the front of that area where the paddle wheel spins.    Good Luck!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.222697019577)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+