Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
vintage mazzer restoration
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > vintage mazzer...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
ilwoggo
ilwoggo
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar
Grinder: Anfim Best
Roaster: Gene
Posted Wed Aug 13, 2008, 4:50pm
Subject: vintage mazzer restoration

Hi,
apparently here in Italy, where i am at the moment, a prosumer espresso machine or a grinder are more expensive than overseas, but since there isn't much market for used commercial gear, it is not rare to find some very old pieces of equipment at decent prices (except original E61s, which are sold at premium rates)

Since time and inactivity take their toll on mechanical equipment, and since grinders are no exception to this rule, i was wondering if i buy a vintage mazzer at a decent price, will i find the spare parts for it? I think burrs haven't changed much over the last 40 years, so is there a chance i will find replacement parts for this beauty? can anyone help me identify the model?

Thanks

ilwoggo: orangemazzer.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
ilwoggo
ilwoggo

Posted Wed Aug 13, 2008, 4:51pm
Subject: Re: vintage mazzer restoration

and another picture of a sticker which may help in the identification

ilwoggo: orangemazzersticker.JPG
(Click for larger image)
ilwoggo
ilwoggo

Posted Sun Aug 17, 2008, 2:54pm

model looks like a Jolly, so, there is a chance the "new" jolly burrs can fit?
philosogeek
philosogeek
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Livia 90 Semi-Auto
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama 8 and 3 cup
Drip: Pour over, Clever coffee...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Aug 17, 2008, 3:50pm

In the picture you posted the label says "Mazzer Mestre".  I did a google search and came up with a HB post that says that grinder is a mazzer major.  http://www.home-barista.com/forums/opinion-on-used-mazzer-mestre-t4445.html That might be something to look into.  

-p
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ilwoggo
ilwoggo

Posted Sun Aug 17, 2008, 5:06pm

Thanks for your precious contribution Philosogeek, unfortunately Mestre is the city where Mazzer production plant was based (now is Gardigiano di Scorze', Venice province, not too far from Mestre, though)

The link on HB you pointed me to clearly shows how forums are populated by self proclaimed experts who can mislead people looking for info, that guy is a good example

Is like asking someone advice about a car which you would like to identify, and the only info you can provide is the car you saw had a tag on the engine saying "Ford - Detroit" and he suddenly says: "It's a Mustang!" without even asking the car's features. I could have understood if he made the diagnosis based on a picture.. at least

I keep looking around, i remember having seen a similar grinder on a german forum... lemme check again..

while writing this one i found another restoration project on HB (thanks for inspiration) based on a super jolly, and at stage, in the thread, someone, much better informed than the above mentioned "expert" says what i already wrote here (actually he wrote that long before i did, but i didn't know the existence of that thread) and that confirms my already solid suspects about that guy

and here is the german thread:
Click Here (www.kaffee-netz.de)

but i still don't know if actual models burrs can adapt to those oldies or not...
Psyd
Psyd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astoria Argenta SAE II,...
Grinder: Rio and Astoria (Mazzer)...
Posted Sun Aug 17, 2008, 6:19pm

ilwoggo Said:

and another picture of a sticker which may help in the identification

Posted August 13, 2008 link

Which indicates that it is wired for three-phase 220V.  What are the chances that you're going to want to use this machine in a three-phase environment?  Usually fairly industrial areas are the only ones to get three-phase, and most residential areas, here in the US, get only one phase per neighborhood.

http://members.cox.net/gearsale/Astoria
ilwoggo
ilwoggo

Posted Sun Aug 17, 2008, 6:53pm

I read the label but i also read that converting a 3 phase 220v to a single phase on the same voltage is not a big drama, and no inverter is needed

Different situation would be that of a 380v three phase wired mazzer Major to use on a 220V mains . Not the case, though

I of course will inquire about that phases thing better before buying.

Even better Psyd, if you know more and can contribute to expand my knowledge on the electrical phases subject i would be very grateful. I'm pretty sure there are other people who could be interested in reading it. Restoring old grinders or grinders wired for industrial use is apparently a not so beaten path (but well wort it in my opinion)
coffee_monkey

Espresso: Isomac Rituale, FE-AR...
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Hario MSC-2
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Drip: Hario DPW-1
Posted Sun Aug 17, 2008, 8:58pm

Not Psyd.

If the unit is 0.4HP (not clear on lable), get a Delta frequency drive:

VFD004E11A(110V single phase input) or VFD004E21A (230V single phase input):

http://www.transdrive.co.uk/delta_ac_drives_vfde_range.htm

Output is 220V 3p. You can vary the frequency to change the rpm if you wish. Cost for the 004E21A is around $185 in the US. Hookup takes less than 10 min. Get larger capacity units if the wattage requirement is higher.

- Ben

www.barismo.com
ilwoggo
ilwoggo

Posted Mon Aug 18, 2008, 3:03am

I read around that is just matter of putting a condenser of the right capacity (or condensator?) between two of the phases and then connect to mains. Just a few bucks i guess

It is just a low power machine running for just a few seconds at a time a very few times a day, i think an inverter would be necessary for a more powerful and heavily used motor, not my case
CaffeineFree

Espresso: Rancilio Epoca E1
Grinder: Mazzer (an oldie), La...
Posted Wed Oct 22, 2008, 9:55am

Hi IlWoggo,

Did you buy the old Mazzer in the end?  I've just picked up something very similar today in London.  There doesn't seem to be a great deal of info on these old ones.  Maybe they were built before Mazzer really kicked off with the exports.  Mine is red and in desperate need of a good tidy.  I've already stripped it back and given it a quick paint.  Probably the main concern is the perspex doser insert is a bit out of shape (must have got hot at some point) and gets in the way of the mechanism, but hopefully I can straighten it out without wrecking it, as I doubt a spare is going to be easy to come by.

It is wired up with a UK plug for 220V, which is also what the blue label says on the bottom, along with 50Hz and 1400 Giro...the HP and all other fields are empty - but given yours is in handwriting, they may have worn away over the decades.  Interestingly, the black switch surround says Bremas, 380V, 15Amp, but I guess this is just to indicate the capacity of the switch, for whatever reason.  There is some modern wiring and a resistor or condenser of some sort inside, so maybe this one has been converted from 3 phase?

I can see from your photo that the tamper arm is metal (aluminum I guess).  Mine is plastic, so I assume it is a bit newer.  The other visible difference is that part of the doser lid on yours recessed on one side.  Mine is the same shape all round - like more recent ones - although this may have been changed at some point.  I can't tell from the photo but is your doser aluminum or stainless/chromed steel?

Oh, I measured the burrs...62mm...Jolly's are 64 aren't they?  I guess I'll cross that hurdle at a later date.

I think it is going to tidy up pretty well and look quite funky in the kitchen...fingers crossed the wife agrees ;-)

Here is the picture the last owner put on eBay...not the best, but I'll post some others once I'm done.

CaffeineFree: 4d5e_1.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > vintage mazzer...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.278635978699)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+