Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Rehabilitating a FAEMA MPN
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Rehabilitating a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
geoffbeier

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II, Gaggia...
Grinder: Macap M4 Stepless, Faema MPN
Posted Mon Aug 4, 2008, 8:45pm
Subject: Rehabilitating a FAEMA MPN

I've just gotten a FAEMA MPN grinder that looks like it has real potential. It also looks like it's already had a long, useful, not particularly clean life. Upon receipt I started disassembling it both to clean it out and to determine whether it has right-machined or left-machined burrs. While removing the upper burr from its carrier, I noticed a black ring under it that I honestly can't identify. It's either a rubber ring or rancid, oily, impacted coffee.

Does anyone know whether there would be a rubber ring there? If so, any ideas about sourcing a new one? Also, getting some of the screws out of this machine left them less than pristine. Not stripped yet, but on their way. Especially the screws that attach the burrs to the carriers. Any ideas about where to find matching ones?

Thanks for any advice!

Geoff
 View Profile Link to this post
paulwd

Espresso: big old shiny things with...
Grinder: anfim lusso
Roaster: homebuilt
Posted Thu Aug 7, 2008, 9:44pm
Subject: Re: Rehabilitating a FAEMA MPN

I am 99% sure that the ring is compacted coffee!  dunno about a source for the screws sorry
espressobomb

Espresso: Dual
Grinder: A few
Vac Pot: Yumm...
Drip: I like drip
Roaster: i-Roast2, Behmor
Posted Fri Aug 8, 2008, 10:21am

I agree with the black ring being old coffee - especially seeing as it wasn't the cleanest machine! Mine doesn't have a rubber ring. There is a dealer here in Michigan you could call: 1.800.968.1222 - not sure what ext. after that. Don't know if they send out parts to general consumers or not. Otherwise I think it may be just a metric bolt that you could find at a hardware store - just be sure to bring something with you that you can thread the screw into (such as the upper burr casing) or one of the old screws - if you still have one. Did you get new burrs? You probably want to if you haven't - if it fits the budget anyhow!
Espressomattic
Espressomattic
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Visacrem 1 Grp
Grinder: Faema MPN
Roaster: Gene
Posted Tue Aug 12, 2008, 12:05am

I can vouch for the old coffee thing.  I disassembled mine last week and wondered what the heck it was and scraped it out and it was sticky, rancid stuff.  Lovely.

Good to see you on here Mr WD :)
geoffbeier

Posted Tue Aug 12, 2008, 2:58am

Thanks for the advice, all. The screws are 10mm long (according to my ruler, not measured with calipers) and seem to be M4 x 0.7. Several merchants locally carry screws whose threads and length match but whose heads are too wide for the current set of burrs. My new set is due today, so I think the plan is to see if I get lucky and the new burrs accommodate screws I can find locally, call the dealer in Michigan, then, failing that, try to be very careful with the current set.

Once its basic functionality is restored, I think replacement of the hopper with something shorter and replacement of the doser are going to become high priorities. The doser looks like a royal pain to clean unless I'm missing something.
geoffbeier

Posted Tue Aug 12, 2008, 2:04pm

I got lucky! The new burrs have slightly wider recesses than the old ones, and the 10mm M4 x 0.7 screws that are $0.17 each anywhere in town fit just fine.
Espressomattic
Espressomattic
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Visacrem 1 Grp
Grinder: Faema MPN
Roaster: Gene
Posted Tue Aug 12, 2008, 6:14pm

I vacumn mine each week.  Basically stick the hose down the doser hole thing and play with the doser handle and it seems to clear it out OK.  I will once a month totally disassemble and brush out too.

Good to hear everything worked out OK.
geoffbeier

Posted Tue Aug 12, 2008, 7:46pm

So, after much effort, it's been thoroughly cleaned and reassembled. The grind can now be easily adjusted, and it seems to be working like a champ. (When I got the grinder, I could not even turn the adjustment collar, everything was so gunked up.) I find that it's much easier to operate without the bean hopper than with; I've just set the little nylon tamper that came with my machine on top of the collar to prevent beans from flying out. Is operating like this bad for the grinder in any way?

Now that everything seems to be working properly, I think I want to see if I can run it doserless. I'm thinking of cutting something like this to act as a chute and moving the switch that's on top of the stock doser so that the grinder is activated when you put the PF under the chute. Anyone tried this or seen it tried?
espressobomb

Espresso: Dual
Grinder: A few
Vac Pot: Yumm...
Drip: I like drip
Roaster: i-Roast2, Behmor
Posted Wed Aug 13, 2008, 12:38pm

Placing the tamper on top of the grind collar is pretty standard and does not have adverse effects on the grinder (as long as it is not Inside the grind collar). There are some theories about it possibly changing the quality of the grind and/or just being sized a bit differently; Because there is not as much downward pressure feeding the beans. Hopperless is the way to go for the home IMO.

Or - Some folks have taken to using a stainless canning funnel on top - appears to work quite well!

There is quite a bit of stuff on here about doserless I believe - I think you should be able to search and find it without too much trouble. As fas as rigging up your auto switch: Have not seen it, have not tried it - but I would think it's doable. It's just a matter of rigging it up and figuring out how to reverse it's effect. I think if depressed it turns the grinder off, and I would think you would want it the other way around. Good Idea, I hope you can work it out without too much trouble!
geoffbeier

Posted Wed Aug 13, 2008, 8:58pm

Interesting point about the weight of the beans possibly changing the grind quality.  I hadn't considered that... I was more worried that the weight of the hopper on the grind collar was playing some subtle operational role. I like the canning funnel, but haven't located one that fits the MPN yet. Its grind collar seems to be narrower than the Super Jolly. That said, many funnels available online do not list their dimensions, so it's possible I've seen one that'll fit without knowing it.

I've been looking at doeserless mods around here and on HB for ideas. Haven't seen any discussions about performing such on an MPN. If I make it any farther than idea gathering, I'll definitely post about it.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Rehabilitating a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.232582092285)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+