Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Lelit grinders -- PL53 and PL043
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Lelit grinders...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
laughing7
laughing7
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia w/PID
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jul 22, 2008, 8:00am
Subject: Lelit grinders -- PL53 and PL043

I keep hearing about how good these grinders are for the price, but haven't seen any formal reviews on them (here or anywhere else). Obviously the PL53 is out of stock at 1st Line and it seems that will be the case for at least another month or so, maybe longer. The PL043 is in stock at LatteMaestro and I was curious if anyone knew the difference between the two grinders?

I was going to get a Rocky, but with the recent price increase, I think I'll stay away. My other option is the Ascaso I-Mini, but those are out of stock everywhere, too.

Any thoughts on the PL043?
Here's where it's in stock. Click Here (www.lattemaestro.com)

Thanks.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
xdavez
xdavez
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer mini
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Wed Jul 23, 2008, 6:47am
Subject: Re: Lelit grinders -- PL53 and PL043

le lit grinder?  not impressed.

It seems that one MUST spend about $300 retail to get a usable grinder for espresso.

I used a gaggia MDF for years.  and it is about $300.00

also look at used.  a grinder is a motor and a switch -- that's all.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jul 23, 2008, 7:34am

xdavez Said:

a grinder is a motor and a switch -- that's all.

Posted July 23, 2008 link

The last time I looked, most decent grinders had cutting burrs in addition to the motor and switch.  
I have used a LaPavoni PGC clone (Maximo) to great success, I originally purchased for $120 new

Vaneli's has a stepped conical grinder with what appears to be the trespade burrset (same as the PGC) for ~$170 (Click THIS)
It should be capable of grinding for good espresso....not the most robust build but probably good enough.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Wed Jul 23, 2008, 12:28pm

Jon, that appears to be the same grinder the OP was asking about.

Scott

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
 View Profile Link to this post
Mark08859
Mark08859

Espresso: Quickmill Alexia PID
Grinder: Ditting KE640 Vario
Posted Wed Jul 23, 2008, 12:57pm

Here is a link to a Home-Barista thread regarding the LeLit PL53. It has lots of user opinions based on their experience. Hopefully it will help. LeLit Thread
Dink0617

Espresso: Astra Pro, Sama Export, La...
Grinder: Ascaso I-Mini, Rossi RR45,...
Vac Pot: Silex
Drip: Krups FME-4, Chemex
Roaster: Hearthware Precision, Gene...
Posted Wed Jul 23, 2008, 1:17pm

[It seems that one MUST spend about $300 retail to get a usable grinder for espresso.]

Not so sure about that, I have an I-Mini and it works fine with my Astra Pro, paid $229 for it.  Check out seattlecoffeegear.com, they seem to have it in stock, that is where I bought mine.
SJM

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Wed Jul 23, 2008, 2:05pm

You can also get an Astra Cunill Tranquilo for  $235.

http://sovranastore.com/esgrin.html
cremabella

Grinder: MACAP M4
Posted Thu Jul 24, 2008, 11:39am

Can you say why you are not impressed with it? What specifically don't you like? I too am looking at it instead of the higher-priced Rocky. The small amount of reviews on home barista indicate it has an easy to clean chute, is stepless and doserless ( a plus for small users like me) and doesn't require any user calibration or mod (also good for people like me). It supposedly has less clumping than Rocky. I really didn't see anything negative about it.

My concern is the lack of more reviews plus if there is only one distributor, isn't that risky in terms of repair and parts (all opinions welcome). What if that guy went out of business, for instance?
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Thu Jul 24, 2008, 4:35pm

I have been using the PL53 daily for 7 months now. (3-5 doubles a day.) It has been very well behaved. I grind into a small stainless pitcher (to measure by volume) then fill the basket. I have not had to do any 'clump busting' of any kind. (I suspect this is mostly due to the grounded metal spout.) The burr carrier however is plastic and there can be some static build up in there, breaking off to form a larger boulder size clump now and then, but this is maybe after a week so time to clean the spout.  (Also, I don't use oily beans so I have no idea what might happen if you put 'sticky stuff' through it. ;^) What's not to like? a bit noisy, stops conversation, it's light and so I push it against the backstop to push the botton. $229 for espresso grind that you don't have to stir with a needle, I think it does a great job. Biggest problem with this grinder: it is out of stock! C'mon Jim, just go over and hand carry them back!
rgordon7
rgordon7

Espresso: Gaggia Factory 106 (two of...
Grinder: Ascaso i-Mini, Zassenhaus...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: Nesco
Posted Fri Jul 25, 2008, 10:04am

Dink0617 Said:

[It seems that one MUST spend about $300 retail to get a usable grinder for espresso.]

Not so sure about that, I have an I-Mini and it works fine with my Astra Pro, paid $229 for it.  Check out seattlecoffeegear.com, they seem to have it in stock, that is where I bought mine.

Posted July 23, 2008 link

Same here re the Ascaso i-Mini. I have two of them & paid $229 for each one. I bought my second one for my second espresso machine (both espresso machines are Gaggia Factory 106 levers). I'm very happy with the i-Mini's compact size, attractive appearance, all metal exterior (all metal, other than the hoppper which is plastic, of course), conical burrs, steppless design, price and performance. I bought my first one from 1st Line. They were out of stock on the i-Mini when time came to buy my second, so I bought it at Seattlecoffeegear.com instead. Had to pay sales tax there, as I'm in Washington State, but it was in stock and they got it to me almost overnight. Pleased with both vendors and especially pleased with the i-Mini.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Lelit grinders...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.288859128952)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+