Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Need to replace Rocky
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Need to replace...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
zehnmm

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Mar 22, 2008, 6:47am
Subject: Need to replace Rocky

Hello everyone!  This is my first post here, and I should like to ask for your opinions.

My wife and I are B&B owners and for the past 4 years we have used our Rocky Rancilio doserless grinder each and every day grinding 1/2 to 1 lb. per day.  Well, it died on us --- motor burned out.  Since we are fairly heavy users, I guess 4 years is pretty darn good.  FYI, we do drip grinds about 90% of the time; 10% french press.  Almost zero espresso.

We were pleased with our Rocky, but now must get a replacement.  What do you recommend?  Another Rocky?  Other?  We should like to spend no more than $310.

Thanks to all!

Regards,

Steve
 View Profile Link to this post
Cheryl_W

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: PID'ed Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Macap M4,Solis Maestro Plus
Drip: Technivorm, Mellitta, French...
Roaster: That's Next!
Posted Sat Mar 22, 2008, 7:07am
Subject: Re: Need to replace Rocky

I think this one would fill the bill:

http://sovranastore.com/esgrin.html

Read the reviews on CG for the Cunill - it's a stepped grinder and easy to switch between grinds.

Cheryl
Alfonso

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Cremina '67, Unic Diva Pro,...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Rancilio Rocky,...
Vac Pot: Hario Technica , AeroPress
Drip: Melitta Clarity, Bodum...
Roaster: OvenToaster Drumroaster,...
Posted Sat Mar 22, 2008, 7:22am

$209.. Now that looks like a bargain! It would be difficult to find better at that price.

Was also considering the Cunill Tranquillo about a year ago before I finally got a good deal on a BN Mazzer SJ, but that's in an entirely different price range.

Alfonso
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Sat Mar 22, 2008, 7:45pm

Hi Steve welcome to the forum.

I am wondering about your burned out motor.  Does is smell bad like a burned out transformer?  Does it make any noise? In addition to the ON / OFF switch there is an internal starting switch and a starting capacitor.  If they fail the motor won't run.

Phil

zehnmm Said:

Hello everyone!  This is my first post here, and I should like to ask for your opinions.

My wife and I are B&B owners and for the past 4 years we have used our Rocky Rancilio doserless grinder each and every day grinding 1/2 to 1 lb. per day.  Well, it died on us --- motor burned out.  Since we are fairly heavy users, I guess 4 years is pretty darn good.  FYI, we do drip grinds about 90% of the time; 10% french press.  Almost zero espresso.

We were pleased with our Rocky, but now must get a replacement.  What do you recommend?  Another Rocky?  Other?  We should like to spend no more than $310.

Thanks to all!

Regards,

Steve

Posted March 22, 2008 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pilgrim5
pilgrim5

Espresso: Salivatore
Grinder: Bunn/LPG & Macap M4
Vac Pot: Yamer/aeropress
Drip: Bunn VPR series
Roaster: Bred mach /heat gun and stir...
Posted Sat Mar 22, 2008, 9:02pm

if you have an electric motor shop around you have them look at the motor first might be an easy fix the Rocky's are built tank tough and just might be less expensive to get the motor fixed rather than buy a new one?  Have the experts look at it or give Criss coffee a call Monday and see what they recommend
zehnmm

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2008, 5:46am

pilgrim5 Said:

if you have an electric motor shop around you have them look at the motor first might be an easy fix the Rocky's are built tank tough and just might be less expensive to get the motor fixed rather than buy a new one?  Have the experts look at it or give Criss coffee a call Monday and see what they recommend

PJK Said:

Hi Steve welcome to the forum.

I am wondering about your burned out motor.  Does is smell bad like a burned out transformer?  Does it make any noise? In addition to the ON / OFF switch there is an internal starting switch and a starting capacitor.  If they fail the motor won't run.

Phil

Pilgrim5 and Phil:  Thanks!  I have taken it apart as best as I can and, while I am certainly no expert, everything points to the motor.  The switch, etc., seems to be ok in my eyes.   I will check into getting the motor fixed.  

Thanks to all who have posted.

Regards,

Steve
superjohnny
superjohnny

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: French Press, Technivorm,...
Posted Sun Mar 23, 2008, 8:19am

You might consider a Mazzer super jolly.  I think those pretty much last forever.
pilgrim5
pilgrim5

Espresso: Salivatore
Grinder: Bunn/LPG & Macap M4
Vac Pot: Yamer/aeropress
Drip: Bunn VPR series
Roaster: Bred mach /heat gun and stir...
Posted Sun Mar 23, 2008, 5:51pm

Could be something as simple as new brushes for the motor!  Dose anything smell burnt?  or barrings bad?
zehnmm

Posted Mon Mar 24, 2008, 7:02pm

pilgrim5 Said:

Could be something as simple as new brushes for the motor!  Dose anything smell burnt?  or barrings bad?

Posted March 23, 2008 link

Pilgrim5:  When it quit working, I was out of town and my wife was using it.  The motor just quit working, with a very faint smell as she was using it.  It would not turn back on or anything.  

I think it is the motor.  I guess I could try to get the motor repaired.

But, as I stated in my original post, we used it everyday for 4 years.  Some days, we would grind 2 lbs. of coffee.  I estimate that over the 4 year period, we averaged 1 lb. per day of grinding.  So, good ole Rocky really came through for us all that time and I suppose it is understandable that he had a motor attack.

Regards,

Steve
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Tue Mar 25, 2008, 1:05am

Hi Steve,

Does the machine make any sound when you turn it on?

If a motor burns out it usually isn't a faint smell, it smells really bad.

Will the shaft turn by hand? Unplug the machine before you try.

Did the machine fail while running or fail to start?  If it failed to start the problem could be the starting switch (relay) or the capacitor.

Phil

zehnmm Said:

Pilgrim5:  When it quit working, I was out of town and my wife was using it.  The motor just quit working, with a very faint smell as she was using it.  It would not turn back on or anything.  

I think it is the motor.  I guess I could try to get the motor repaired.

But, as I stated in my original post, we used it everyday for 4 years.  Some days, we would grind 2 lbs. of coffee.  I estimate that over the 4 year period, we averaged 1 lb. per day of grinding.  So, good ole Rocky really came through for us all that time and I suppose it is understandable that he had a motor attack.

Regards,

Steve

Posted March 24, 2008 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Need to replace...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.319119930267)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+