Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Rocky & Teflon Tape
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Rocky & Teflon...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
earlds
earlds
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2008, 2:35pm
Subject: Re: Rocky & Teflon Tape

Your not going to get tape in your brew because the tape is outside of the burr chamber,but the tape will tear up and jam the threads.My rocky seems to be pretty tight.I can see how a finer thread would be good though.By all means get a Mazzer if you can but based on the many many many threads I have followed on the subject I would not expect to see a major differance in the coffee but the Mazzer would be faster and  faster is a good thing.And based on people saying that the Mazzers ,and Macaps grind [Fluffier] I figure that the burrs are even more stable than the Rocky or Cunil {Finer threads ?}You fluff pillows,leave it to us coffee geeks to fluff coffee.

Reguards

Don
 View Profile Link to this post
javanj

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia New Coffee, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Rocky & Maestro Plus
Drip: Melitta pour over & Gevalia...
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2008, 4:16pm

Faster is a good thing. OK. eBay has used Mazzers, but few at the price I can get for Rocky nouveau. Fluff is good. OK. I use foam pillows. No need to fluff.

I am leaning toward continuing my espresso journey at its current rate: upgrade to a Rocky. When I wish to journey onward, I can sell the Rocky or give it to a friend who
is at an earlier point on the journey &/or has less disposable income.

Once I upgrade to whatever, I'll give  my Maestro Plus a tune-up and dispense as described above.  

If anyone had told me 3 years ago that I would be willing to shell out so many bucks
on such a quest, to be so critical of an extraction or drip I'd have been ASTOUNDED!
I may have to create a "coffee maker chapel" in my kitchen.

Suggestions welcome. Espresso is a journey.
java
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2008, 4:39pm

I've found that the yellow & approx 30% thicker & tougher gas line tape lasts/stands up the best so far. To compare all 3, thread, water line, gas line,(white/yellow/pink)
Click Here (www.oatey.com)

CraigA: Pict0298.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
coffee_monkey

Espresso: Isomac Rituale, FE-AR...
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Hario MSC-2
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Drip: Hario DPW-1
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2008, 5:15pm

earlds Said:

...based on the many many many threads I have followed on the subject I would not expect to see a major differance in the coffee but the Mazzer would be faster and  faster is a good thing.

Posted February 20, 2008 link

Grinder upgrade is only worth it if you can taste the difference. For some, it will never matter enough to justify the cost...

- Ben

p.s. I just "upgraded" to a slower grinder...

www.barismo.com
coffee_monkey

Espresso: Isomac Rituale, FE-AR...
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Hario MSC-2
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Drip: Hario DPW-1
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2008, 5:18pm

javanj Said:

Suggestions welcome. Espresso is a journey.
java

Posted February 20, 2008 link

Skip the rocky and get a used Jolly or Major.

- Ben

www.barismo.com
earlds
earlds
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2008, 8:30pm

Nice passive aggresive insult there Ben.And of course we never know how good a shot our fellow coffeegeeks are pulling.Im sure that some of us are making very good espresso and know it ,but  Im sure that some aren't ,and dont..Not sure where I fit for sure .But Im sure you do. Im just saying that bassed on what I have read on this forum ,written by people who seem to have used all the various grinders ,that  if you dont feel like spending the money on a new Mazzer and really dont want to look for a deal on a used  one that going with the Rocky is a very good compromize.I have only used tha Rocky and the Maestro Plus.The Rocky is a very big step up from the Maestro.

Is this coffeegeek or coffee snobs????

What is , is  ..........What aint aint......

Don
Jeff_K
Jeff_K

Espresso: LaCimbali Junior D/1,...
Grinder: LaCimbali Junior, Rio...
Drip: Presto Scandinavian, Bodum...
Roaster: Hottop KN8828, Kitchen...
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2008, 8:53pm

The new Le'Lit PL53 costs less than a Rocky and has some nice features and pretty good reviews so far.  That's if price is a main concern which for a lot of people it is.  Haven't used one personally so I don't know how it would compare to a Rocky or Mazzer with grind quality.
javanj

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2008, 7:08pm
Subject: Re: Rocky & Teflon Tape V LeLitPL53

From Home-Barista.com
"The only all stainless steel, polished body, doserless, conical burr espresso grinder with stepless adjustment for under $250.00. Can we say more? This grinder was designed for grinding for espresso. Although the PL53 can be used for other coffee brewing methods, the turning of the knob on the stepless adjustment can be cumbersome to rotate many times for different brew methods. This is why we recommend the grinder be utilized for one brew method only."

I like the LeLit. The shute appears to be metal, rather than the plastic. Reduces static.
But  I don't think I want to go stepless at this point & this review recommends it for espresso. In the morning I am stumbling around. Simplicity is a must. I drink a breve' before work and sometimes make coffee which I take to work. Until I discover my thus-far-hidden fortune, my counter can barely accomodate one grinder! [see previous posts re coffee chapel]

Any LetLit-ites out there?
javanj

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2008, 8:29pm

The Rocky has arrived. I've been drinking coffee all weekend!
The upgrade has brought my enjoyment of espresso to a whole, new level. I made pretty decent shots with the Maestro Plus for 2 years. But the Rocky is so consistent
and really brings out the nuance of the coffee. Yes, those burrs wobble - I can hear it.
but I'm using this machine for more than espresso. I stop-dialed until I heard metal
(I forget the number - I don't plan on Turkish coffee in the near future). I then did the same forward. I found that 15 seems to work well for Carlo, my Gaggia, with Black Cat. 32 -35 for El Diablo drip. This is a 15+ pound machine. Extremely solid and oh, so quiet. I even like just looking at it. Looking at it while drinking coffee is even better.
I was conflicted between a used Mazzer or a new Rocky or Tranquilo until I saw a doser Rocky at Chef Central. Chef Central is in Paramus, NJ & Hartsdale, NY. The store will special order many items. And each year, mailing list subscribers get a 20% discount. So I called & they ordered a doserless Rocky 20% off. I am very happy.

I appreciate all the postings and research available on this site. It has been very helpful on my espresso journey. Many of us begin our journey slowly. It may be due to caution or finance. In my case, both. But it is a wonderful journey.
For all those embarking on their own journey: get the best grinder you can afford. The espresso-maker is second to the grinder.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Rocky & Teflon...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.275702953339)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+