Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
PID my Saeco via venezia aka starbucks barista
Oy, Don't Forget the Tea
Because not everyone drinks coffee.  Organic, English Breakfast tea, as low as $16/lb.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > PID my Saeco via...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2007, 8:31pm
Subject: Re: PID my Saeco via venezia aka starbucks barista

Based on what you describe, my best guess is that your wiring is goofed up, your steam switch is stuck on, or your SSR is bad.  Since I am going to trust your wiring and that the steam switch is off, my theory is that the SSR is defective and is "closed", or shorted, at all times, despite the LED indicators.

The controller is doing what I would expect:  solid "on" until you are close to setpoint; blinking within 2X the proportional band near setpoint; then solid "off" after the temperature has reached/exceeded setpoint.

You definitely do not want to remove your steam thermostat.

It must stay in the circuit, especially if the SSR is acting up.  Besides, without the steam thermostat, then there is nothing to limit the boiler temperature when the steam switch is on.  The brew stat and the steam stat are wired in series, so the steam stat cannot be the cause of overheating in brew mode.

Checking the SSR is not easy to do without an independent indicator of the heater being on.  Many machines have a "ready light" or other device that shows when the heater is running.  If your machine has something like this, then turn the machine and PID on from a cold start and watch the heater light.  If the SSR is functioning correctly, there will be a one second or more lag before the heater turns on (because the PID controller goes through some startup stuff that takes that long).  If the heater light turns on instantly, then your SSR is shorted.

Further checking of the SSR would require a meter and your willingness to work around a live 220V circuit - not necessarily a smart idea.

Jim
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
derailed

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: gaggia classic
Grinder: innova i mini
Roaster: heat gun dog bowl
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2007, 7:13am

My wiring is good.  Its actually pretty easy for the saeco.  All you have to do is really remove the leads from the brew stat and plug it into the SSR.  Inkstar's PDF are awesome.

Jim, I appreciate your advice :)

I have one of those light pens to check for current? but I dont have a meter.  Can I use that somehow?  Can the PID be broken?  Im in Poland now and I have not idea where to buy a new SSR.  If I have it shipped from the States, I want to make sure it is the SSR and not the PID or anything else.
 View Profile Link to this post
JGG
JGG

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2007, 9:29am

derailed Said:

I have one of those light pens to check for current? but I dont have a meter.  Can I use that somehow?

Posted October 9, 2007 link

Probably that pen measures voltage, not current.  There may be a way to use it, but I hesitate to suggest since I'm not completely sure how your machine is wired.

Usually, when the steam tstat is closed (e.g. conducting) and the SSR is "off" you will have mains voltage (~220VAC) across the two high voltage terminals on the SSR.  And when the SSR is "on" you should have around 1V.  

If you do not have 220VAC across the SSR terminals when the steam stat is conducting and the SSR should be shut off, then that probably indicates a short in the SSR.  But I caution you that this test is dependent on the actual wiring of the machine and may not hold true for your's.  If you are not absolutely sure about what you are doing, get some help because 220VAC can kill you.

For the cost of postage ($11), I can send you a tested SSR - I have a few spares.

Jim
derailed

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2007, 3:03am

I know this may sound stupid, but I am using lamp cord wire from the controller to the SSR. Could this impact anything?  I have read that you should use a large guage wire for the small DC volt but all I had around was the lamp cord.
JGG
JGG

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2007, 12:36pm

derailed Said:

I know this may sound stupid, but I am using lamp cord wire from the controller to the SSR. Could this impact anything?  I have read that you should use a large guage wire for the small DC volt but all I had around was the lamp cord.

Posted October 10, 2007 link

I wouldn't suggest lamp cord for the final installation because it can't tolerate the high temperatures inside the machine.

But it is not likely to be the cause of the present problem.  The current requirements of the control circuit are virtually nil and the lamp cord is easily heavy enough.

Jim
derailed

Posted Sun Nov 4, 2007, 11:59am

I finally did it!  The problem was infact the ssr.  I changed it out and now it works like a charm.  There are spacers where the wires from the machine to the controller can  go through saving me from drilling into the stainless steel.  It was a very easy mod with everyone here helping.  The shots now pull consistently and are much better than before the mod :)
Reef

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Oct 16, 2008, 5:37am

The  www.atlantacoffeescene.com site is gone.  Does anybody have a copy of the pdf?

Jorge
inkstar
inkstar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: My Sweet Girl - Silvia
Grinder: KA Proline - modified
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Pour over, Apress
Roaster: rk drum, hot air
Posted Thu Oct 16, 2008, 6:44am

sorry guys, email me at inkstarbr@comcast.net and I'll send you the pdf.  Work has been crazy this year, but I'm working on newtamper.com now, and I will eventually get around to putting a tech section up with this info.
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > PID my Saeco via...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.275465011597)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+