Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Cunill Tranquilo & Brazil?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Cunill Tranquilo...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Strolls

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Sep 6, 2007, 4:31pm
Subject: Cunill Tranquilo & Brazil?

Cunill have a clear marketing advantage in my house, because their logo is a bunny.

A couple of people have mentioned the Cunill Tranquilo in the adjacent Grinder Recommendation Please? thread - does anyone know what the difference is between that & the Cunill Brazil?

sovranastore.com also have the Brazil, but:
  1. I can't tell what the effective difference between the two units is from looking at the specifications.
  2. I'm not in the US - I've just seen a Brazil come up for sale secondhand locally.

One guy in the consumer reviews complained that:

In my Cunill Brasil - which I consider to be a professional type grinder - coffee grounds remain in various areas of the device. These coffee grounds are emitted/pushed out with the next grind (cycle) that you start. (My estimate is that at least 7 gram remain inside the device this way.) The KitchenAid does not have this problem, at all, seemingly.

This seems to make sense as professional grinders are typically in constant use throughout the day, so that the coffee grounds which remain inside the machine do not remain inside for too long, and thus staling is not an issue.

Is this something to be concerned about, or just common to all professional grinders?

If I'm patient I might well be able to pick up a secondhand Mazzer Super Jolly for c $200 more. Worth the difference in price?

Stroller.
 View Profile Link to this post
ttriff

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: VBM Domobar Super Manual
Grinder: Cunill El Cafe' Tranquilo
Roaster: I-Roast 2
Posted Fri Sep 7, 2007, 10:17am
Subject: Re: Cunill Tranquilo & Brazil?

The differences are pretty much explained in the text......

Brazil

- Removable, 1-Kilogram (2.2 lbs) whole beans hopper with finger guard
-  Built-in stationary tamper (two sizes included to fit most portafilters)
- Direct Intake(TM) system, virtually eliminates spills when filling portafilter

The Tranquilo has a smaller hopper and no tamping mechanism, it's also available doserless

Click on the pictures to see larger photos of each. That makes seeing the difference easier

In my Cunill Brasil - which I consider to be a professional type grinder - coffee grounds remain in various areas of the device. These coffee grounds are emitted/pushed out with the next grind (cycle) that you start

I use a brush to clean out my Tranquilo after use, doing that takes less than a minute.
heyduke
heyduke

Espresso: Quick Mill Anita
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Vac Pot: yama
Drip: Technovrm KTBS
Roaster: Heat Gun & Dog Bowl
Posted Fri Sep 7, 2007, 12:02pm

I think the Brazil is more of a commercial machine. I have the Tranquilo and it does leave some ground coffee in the machine but all I have to do is tap it and the coffee will fall out. It is a good grinder and I expect the Brazil is as good or maybe even better. I don't think you would be dissapointed with the Brazil
Cj42

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Cunill Brasil
Vac Pot: Indestructible Stainless
Drip: Only when it rains.
Roaster: S&J, I Roast, FR+,...
Posted Sat Sep 8, 2007, 4:47pm

I have had a Brazil for nearly 4 years and have never had a problem with it or a complaint about it.  The Brazil is definately more of a commercial-type grinder.  It's big and it's sturdy, and it will likely last as long as you need it to, surviving to be passed on to any espresso loving heirs.  It is not a quiet grinder, and it takes up a significant amount of counter space.  

I have to scratch my head at the "problem" of grinds being left in the throat of the chute.  A chopstick takes care of any grinds left in the throat, a 5 second procedure if you take your time at it.  The doser sweeps nice and clean.  If ever I were to get another grinder, it would be for the smaller footprint or the reduced noise, not because I want a better grind.  I purchased it over the Tranquilo because when I bought it, the Tranquilo did not come in a doser model, and I wanted a doser.  As I understand it, the Tranquilo is smaller than the Brazil and has a less beefy motor--you can run the Brazil for 30 minutes continuously without it being a problem.  I've never come close to doing that, even when grinding numerous pounds of my home roasted coffee for grinderless friends.  

Cheryl
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Worldman
Worldman
Expertise: Professional

Grinder: Cimbali 6/S
Posted Mon Sep 10, 2007, 2:15am

I have used the Tranquillo as my main grinder for a couple of years now and still like it very much. Its "looks" are too ugly to be explained - but it allows me to pull a nice shot...a real nice shot. The thing IS cheap and it will fit under any "normal" overhead cabinet.

Len

Worldman: My set-up - mod.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Len
Len's Espresso Blends
www.lensespressoblends.com
SJM

Espresso: SAMA, Gaggia Classic
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Mon Sep 10, 2007, 8:16am

Worldman Said:

Its "looks" are too ugly to be explained

Posted September 10, 2007 link

Well, I just don't understand it:  I have the very same grinder, and mine isn't ugly at all!!!!  

But, grinder aesthetics aside, and apologies to the OP for sidetracking this thread maybe just for one post, your white Expobar is beautiful, and I'm wondering how you like HER.

Susan
Strolls

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2007, 4:19am

SJM Said:

Well, I just don't understand it:  I have the very same grinder, and mine isn't ugly at all!!!!

I agree. To some extent the form of all these decent grinders follows their fuction, but IMO the Tranquilo has very acceptable aesthetics. I'd much rather have a simple all-black machine like this than one that tries to flashy itself up with chrome but has the effect ruined by those parts that can't be produced in a matching shade.

I missed the Brazil on eBay the other day, BTW. Strangely, I couldn't find it after the auction had ended. I had thought also to try & get a secondhand Mazzer, but I think that I'd have to pay more than for a new Tranquilo; grinder prices seem quite expensive in the UK - nonsensically so, when you consider we're much closer to the point of manufacturer than the USA - but I think I might be able to find a Tranquilo at an acceptable price, and I'm inclined to go for that. It's simple appearance is a draw.

Stroller.
Worldman
Worldman
Expertise: Professional

Grinder: Cimbali 6/S
Posted Tue Sep 11, 2007, 5:01am

SJM Said:

...your white Expobar is beautiful, and I'm wondering how you like HER.

Susan,

I like it very much.  I bought it a few years a go from a guy who auctioned off another just like it on E'bay. I lost that bid @ $550 and bought mine @ $500.  It has a few modifications, vide:
  1. External water reservoir
  2. Prepared for direct water hook-up
  3. The addition of a relay to turn on the heating element (instead of it being done by the control computer)
  4. Insulated boiler
  5. High temperature gaskets at the boiler / heating element junction
  6. High pressure impeller.

All but #1 & 4 were done by the guy from whom I bought it.  

Len

Worldman: CIMG2186 - web.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Len
Len's Espresso Blends
www.lensespressoblends.com
SJM

Espresso: SAMA, Gaggia Classic
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Tue Sep 11, 2007, 8:09am

Worldman Said:

I like it very much.
Len

Posted September 11, 2007 link

I'm glad to hear that.  Every time I see a picture of one I'm taken by how handsome she is.  
Maybe.....someday....

Susan
heyduke
heyduke

Espresso: Quick Mill Anita
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Vac Pot: yama
Drip: Technovrm KTBS
Roaster: Heat Gun & Dog Bowl
Posted Tue Sep 11, 2007, 1:33pm

I have never understood why people think the Tranquilo is ugly. It looks like a coffee grinder. What are they suppose to look like. I kind of believe that it is like a urban myth. It gets started and everyone believe it is true even if it isn't.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Cunill Tranquilo...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.311364889145)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+