Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Ceramic vs metal grinder - which is better
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Ceramic vs metal...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
canadiancactus

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2007, 10:03am
Subject: Ceramic vs metal grinder - which is better

Anyone have some input - which is better - ceramic or metal?
 View Profile Link to this post
olph4rt
olph4rt
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Modded Nemox Caffe Fenice
Grinder: Compak K6 / Nemox Lux /...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Sep 2, 2007, 10:30am
Subject: Re: Ceramic vs metal grinder - which is better

A ceramic burr may be quieter.  A conical burr will have a greater cutting surface, and can therefore rotate at a slower speed which will add less heat, static and noise.  I have seen only expensive conical-ceramic burr setups, but it should follow that it would be even cooler than a metal one.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Sep 2, 2007, 11:15am

olph4rt Said:

A ceramic burr may be quieter.

Posted September 2, 2007 link

Huh?  Why do you think that?

olph4rt Said:

A conical burr will have a greater cutting surface, and can therefore rotate at a slower speed which will add less heat, static and noise.  I have seen only expensive conical-ceramic burr setups, but it should follow that it would be even cooler than a metal one.

Posted September 2, 2007 link

Again, I don't see how ceramic would be cooler on the beans than metal given he same geometry.  

Much more important than ceramic vs. metal is grinder construction and burr geometry.

I would think that the Pro's and cons to ceramic vs. metal are:
  • Ceramic is harder and will hold it's sharpness literally forever
  • Ceramics fail by chipping or breaking not by erosive wear (so watch out for rocks in the beans!)
  • Ceramic does not absorb or transmit heat very well (it tends to be an insulator)
  • Ceramic burrs are amazingly more expensive than metal ones
  • Ceramic burrs only come in a handful of designs, so there is a very limited selection

• Metal burrs do transmit heat and so if beans are getting hot then the metal could absorb some of the heat
  • Metal burrs cost MUCH less than ceramic
  • Metal burrs come in a huge variety of sizes and shapes, so selection is much less limited
  • Metal burrs wear by erosion/abrasion so grinding ra ock will just advance the wear rather than fracture the burr

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
olph4rt
olph4rt

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2007, 3:14pm

I have a ceramic grinder at work which seems quieter at grinding than my grinder with metal burr at home, but the motor is louder.  I would have thought this also to be the case because the ceramic should absorb more vibrations.  The heat would not be "stored" if there was a wet/hot uneven flow of beans.  But these were non-measured thoughts, and for sure I would believe the engineer with over 6000 posts, so take my post and Jon's response as a learning experience ... hopefully not for just me!
canadiancactus

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Sep 5, 2007, 10:48am

Thanks for the input all.  Sounds like I'll get ceramic if I can get a good deal.  I'll let you know how it goes.
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2007, 12:16pm

Hmmm, don't think you'll be paying $4,500US (or whatever they're up to), for a La Marzocco Swift will you? {;-O

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
olph4rt
olph4rt

Posted Wed Sep 5, 2007, 4:09pm

Just get one-o-them combo-Saeco's and don't use the espresso machine part! $30 gets ya ceramic that you have to squeeze to prevent it from falling apart when it runs.  I know, I use it!  Don't be a victim of advertising...Here ceramic is quieter than steel, and here you can get a ceramic grinder that says it's cooler.  Note that they are from Saeco, and not both are conical.  This may be an example of over zealous advertising.  The PC ceramic burr grinder has been sold for $10, and may not be worth it.  Take the advice, of the engineer's notes, especially one who uses a canuck-freindly "eh?" ;)  When more folks put out more ceramic conical burr machines *crosses fingers* then the cost may go down *crosses toes*, and the purchase will be better justified.  I did google this hand device that's $25 though...hmmm...still so much to learn!  They also have the Virtuoso for $110usd..it's $250 up here DANG!
But if you CAN afford that swift, then you can afford the replacement parts when you pump a rock into it!  Like affording the gas to drive a Lamborghini I supppose.  Yes, let us know, canadiancactus!

|| http://thoughtcompile.blogspot.com/ | + | It takes an average of 42 beans to make a shot.  Douglas Adams wrote in the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, that 42 is the meaning of life...coincidence?
JonR10
JonR10

Posted Wed Sep 5, 2007, 6:41pm

olph4rt Said:

Don't be a victim of advertising...Here ceramic is quieter than steel, and here you can get a ceramic grinder that says it's cooler.  

Posted September 5, 2007 link

Wow!  Quieter AND cooler too!

olph4rt Said:

I did google this hand device that's $25 though...hmmm...still so much to learn!

I have used that device and I can say that you get what you pay for, but this grinder does a decent job for the $$$.  The burrs are indeed ceramic and it's just as quiet as similar design grinders made with metal burrs, the problem is that the burr arrangement has too much play in it to grind for espresso (works great for drip coffee though - as my camping budies can attest)

I guess I should have been more specific about ceramic burrs being expensive, I was talking about precision burrs like THESE

My whole point was the relative noise will be associated with the machine design, the motor and the housing and the burr carriers and the burr geometry much more so than the material of the cutting surface.  Have you ever compared the noise from a carbide-tipped saw to a tool steel saw?  (Hint: the carbide is "Tungsten Carbide", a ceramic material)

Note: I have salt and pepper mills in my kitchen with ceramic burrs, metal burrs just won't "cut it" when it comes to grinding sea salt! These were not horrifically expensive but did cost a bit more than similar units with metal burrs.  I don't think the pepper mill is any quieter than my old pepper mill with steel burrs though.....

JonR10: c31f_1.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2007, 6:52pm

JonR10 Said:

Have you ever compared the noise from a carbide-tipped saw to a tool steel saw?  (Hint: the carbide is "Tungsten Carbide", a ceramic material)

Ummm, Tungsten Carbide is a metal cutting bit/impregnated metal Jon.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Tungsten%20carbide

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Tungsten%20

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10

Posted Wed Sep 5, 2007, 7:12pm

CraigA Said:

Ummm, Tungsten Carbide is a metal cutting bit/impregnated metal Jon.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Tungsten%20carbide

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Tungsten%20

Maybe have a closer look at your references sir.  
Tungsten (W) is a metal that light bulb filaments are made from.
Tungsten CARBIDE (WC) is a metal-ceramic compound much harder than any common metal

EDIT to add link:  Tungsten Carbide properties

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Ceramic vs metal...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.354827880859)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+