Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Virtuoso
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
ramack

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2007, 4:00am
Subject: Baratza Virtuoso

Has anyone ordered a grinder directly from Baratza?  I bought one from their online store about three weeks ago.  The first one was damaged during shipment, I just received the second unit, it is also damaged.  They are sending the grinders without adequate packing material.

I'm curious if anyone else has had similar problems.

These grinders look to be a pretty good grinder, just wish that I could use one......

Rich
 View Profile Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jun 29, 2007, 5:28am
Subject: Re: Baratza Virtouso

I ordered a refurb direct from Baratza, and it arrived just fine.
Subsequently I ordered a second unit for friends (x-mas present) and it also arrived with no issues.

Both grinders are in use today, the one in my office has ground for 4-8 pots of coffee per day for almost a year now.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
gt

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: Cones & CCD
Roaster: P1 w/ variacs
Posted Fri Jun 29, 2007, 5:40am

I ordered one about two weeks ago and it arrived in good shape but I would rate the packaging as minimal.  The grinder works fine but the static issue is horrendous.

gt
ramack

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2007, 6:05am
Subject: Re: Baratza Virtuoso

I've been using a flat burr DeLonghi that has a clear plastic bin which also has static issues.  I was able to significantly reduce the static by taking a fabric softener sheet and wiping the exterior and (lightly) interior of the bin.

I'll be using my Virtuoso for a french press and a Gaggia Espresso machine.  Looks like I'll need to recalibrate the grinder for espresso grinding.

Rich
svyerkgeniiy

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jun 29, 2007, 6:30am

I also have a Virtuoso, though not purchased directly through Baratza.

My solution to the static is to take a strip of aluminum foil, fold in thirds so that it is about 1/2 the width of the catchbin, and drape it over the front of the bin so that the strip trails down the front inside and across the bottom of the bin.  The idea is that the grounds hit the foil first as they come out.  Take some care as you remove the grounds; usually I pour some out, then gently lift the foil and shake it against the sides of the container to knock off the loose grounds and lift it out before pouring out the rest.  The foil can be reused and it doesn't get too messy, and is certainly less messy than static causing the grounds to pop out all over your counter.

I know this is more of a hack than a solution, but it works for me.  Why they had such trouble with this I don't know, but if I can fix it with foil, they could have done some similarly cheap design change.

Donald Varona
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Fri Jun 29, 2007, 8:37am

I seem to remember reading that Baratza finally got the grounds bin right and the static is gone.  They will probably supply replacement bins for no charge.

An alternative is the solution which I used on a POC pseudo burr thing.  See it on the last page of this string:  "What a mess..."

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
ramack

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2007, 9:52am

If you used to have a turntable and used an anti-static gun, those work too.

You are correct, Baratza will replace an older bin with a new coated bin, I think they mention that on their website.

Rich
ppopp
ppopp
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Macap M4 Doser/Stepless
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: iRoast 2
Posted Fri Jun 29, 2007, 10:25am

On my Maestro, which is a similar design, I just hold a pre-folded Melitta filter under the grinds chute where the bin would go and grind directly into the filter.  Eliminates the static issue.

Peter

------------------------------------------------------
Know beans, know coffee.  No beans, no coffee.
svyerkgeniiy

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jul 2, 2007, 1:03pm

PJK Said:

I seem to remember reading that Baratza finally got the grounds bin right and the static is gone.  They will probably supply replacement bins for no charge.

Posted June 29, 2007 link

ramack Said:

You are correct, Baratza will replace an older bin with a new coated bin, I think they mention that on their website.

Their claims that they fixed the static problem were not entirely correct, from my experience.  My new bin didn't really help, although it did reduce the problem.  It might be that it needed some "breaking in"; since I started using the foil strip I haven't tried it without it.  I'll try tomorrow and see what happens.  But my first several grinds with the new bin-- and they did send it to me in the mail-- were as jumpy as previously.

ppopp Said:

On my Maestro, which is a similar design, I just hold a pre-folded Melitta filter under the grinds chute where the bin would go and grind directly into the filter.  Eliminates the static issue.

Honestly, this sounds like a much neater solution than my tin-foil hack.  I'll try that too.

Donald Varona
petuniaii

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Macap M4, Zass 161, Baratza...
Drip: Melitta cone, Aeropress
Roaster: air popper
Posted Mon Jul 2, 2007, 2:02pm

ramack Said:

Has anyone ordered a grinder directly from Baratza?

<snip>  
I ordered two from them about the same time you did, a refurb Virtuoso for me and a new Maestro for my dad.  The Virtuoso arrived about a week later in fine shape via UPS, no problems.  I wouldn't have been able to tell it was a refurb as opposed to new.  The Maestro was backordered, but arrived a week after the V, in time for Dad's bday yesterday.  It also seems fine.  Maybe something is happening to your packages en route, after leaving Baratza?

No static issues here, but then it's awful humid 'round these parts.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.355791091919)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+