Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
How to make Mazzer Mini doser-less?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > How to make...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cremedelacrema

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: still deciding
Grinder: mazzer mini
Vac Pot: bodem santos
Drip: chamobrd bodem 34 oz.,krups...
Roaster: Popper II, Popaire 2
Posted Fri Mar 26, 2004, 2:00am
Subject: Re: How to make Mazzer Mini doser-less?

Hi Dan,

My saddest moment so far in the coffee world is reading that you do not live close by!

i think you not only are extremely talented, but your modifications were gorgeous as well.

if you ever make house calls at the going rate, please let me know.  Florida is a nice vacation spot, you know!

your designs seem to be over my head technologically speaking, but go right to my heart in design/finished productl

any helpful tips for the newbie  (less that 2 weeks) who took physics but so far has only built a guitar, would be helpful;
such as, would you say were to get the parts? and any details to assemble that are not too tedious and time comsuming for you would be so helpful.

also, i am in the market for an espresso machine and my first choice was the isomac millenium.  is there a link to your modifications, or would be willing to share some advice/tips?

thank you so very much,

Leslee
 View Profile Link to this post
ljguitar
ljguitar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Fri Mar 26, 2004, 6:12am

cremedelacrema Said:

--- any helpful tips for the newbie  (less that 2 weeks) who took physics but so far has only built a guitar, would be helpful...

Posted March 26, 2004 link

OK Leslee...
Time for you to start a general topic discussions titled "The Guitar I Built..." I do want to hear more.

L  a  r  r  Y

<°)))><

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
dandrewk

Espresso: Rancilio Miss Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hearthware i-Roast
Posted Fri Mar 26, 2004, 11:45am

ljguitar Said:

OK Leslee...
Time for you to start a general topic discussions titled "The Guitar I Built..." I do want to hear more.

L  a  r  r  Y

<°)))><

Posted March 26, 2004 link

Oh no, don't get him started!  :) :)
cgfan
cgfan

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus I
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly Timer,...
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Thu Apr 27, 2006, 11:45pm

Dan,

Your mod is everything a mod should be: functional, beautiful, elegant, and well thought out.  It's really clever how you've managed to make multiple use out of a handful of components, and the re-use of the back third of the doser is the utmost in using what's already available...  If only mere mortals like myself can hope to perform such a mod, I'd do it in an instant!

Here's a mod that I thought I'd throw in for another approach to the problem.  It suits me as it doesn't need any special fabrication skills or equipment, other than an exacto knife and Dremel tool, and less than $4 in parts.  So far it has worked well; it seems to do the job...

A larger picture and description of the mod can be found at my Flickr site below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akatayama/133241695

cgfan: 133241695_3b4fb1b9a3_m[1].jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cgfan
cgfan

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2007, 11:25pm

By the way here's a video I put together showing an entire workflow using my modded Mazzer Super Jolly, a stock tamper, the multiple use of a grain/canning funnel, and an Expobar Brewtus.

You'll note that the grain/canning funnel is like a Swiss-Army Knife; it does so many things in the workflow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_BEnIr07G4
cgfan
cgfan

Posted Sun Nov 30, 2008, 2:11pm

FYI, here's an updated video showing the full workflow of the doserless Super Jolly mod and the use of the canning funnel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEB68j57XLU
faaparasite

Espresso: Bezzera BZ99
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Sun Nov 30, 2008, 2:26pm

Espressoparts.com sells all the parts needed for the conversion.
Grinder Modifications

You will need one each:

Anti-Static Filter Screen
Doser Chute Replacement (currently OOS)
Spout Backing Plate
Doser Spout to Body Gasket

Of course the parts will run you about $200, but it makes for a very clean and professional looking installation that is highly functional.

Pic 1
Pic 2
JVBorella
JVBorella
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Sun Nov 30, 2008, 3:13pm

Looking at those pics it looks like you are left with a chute full of old grounds that would be tough to get out with that screen in the way. I don't mind the doser myself but if I removed it I wouldn't want to deal with that problem between shots.

John
faaparasite

Espresso: Bezzera BZ99
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Sun Nov 30, 2008, 6:35pm

JVBorella Said:

Looking at those pics it looks like you are left with a chute full of old grounds that would be tough to get out with that screen in the way. I don't mind the doser myself but if I removed it I wouldn't want to deal with that problem between shots.

Posted November 30, 2008 link

The screen performs a couple of essential (or at least highly desirable) functions.  It breaks up clumps and it reduces static.

There are a couple of ways to deal with the left over grounds.  You can either turn on the grinder for about 2-3 seconds to flush them out before filling the PF, or you can use a can of compressed air with the nozzle attachment.  For the 2nd method, you place the nozzle behind the screen, and then put the cover back on (with the nozzle between the cover and the funnel) and puff a short blast of compressed air into the chamber.
phaelon56
phaelon56
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM 4 group , Isomac Tea,...
Grinder: Major, Super Jolly,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Fetco, Melitta
Roaster: Sivetz , Diedrich
Posted Mon Dec 1, 2008, 9:47am

el_cabong Said:

Joey-
The problem I had with the eSantos is that it did not get the water hot enough to make good coffee. Not strong enough. Not hot enough. Too bad, because it is a cool gadget. I am a picky guy when it comes to my coffee (the more I hang around here, the picker I get). Perhaps most people would not notice or care about the temperature. Maybe you should start with just one to see how it works.
Joel

Posted November 21, 2003 link

I have the small version of the e-Santos whcih which was rebadged by Starbucks as a Utopia.  I think the water in mine gets hot enough but the brew time is automatic and is too short.  There's a work-around that is done by putting a couple of coins under one edge of the base to keep the water in the lower portion from boiling off too quickly and triggering the trip south from the  upper chamber.  But for me the work-around made results better but still not good enough.

Owen O'Neill
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > How to make...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.338950157166)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+