Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
How to make Mazzer Mini doser-less?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > How to make...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
johannabanana
johannabanana
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La San Marco 1,2,+3group,...
Grinder: 2 LSM, 3 Tourmix, 1 demoka...
Vac Pot: not yet
Drip: Melitta aroma boy,...
Roaster: Precision & Mr. Gunter :-D
Posted Fri Nov 21, 2003, 4:19pm
Subject: Re: How to make Mazzer Mini doser-less?

..thanks, Duane. I never did at school, but now I have a craving for more brainfood every day ;-}
Joey

"Do everything right.
You will gratify some people and astonish the rest." (Mark Twain)
 View Profile Link to this post
DanBollinger

Espresso: modified Isomac Millenium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini w/ single doser
Roaster: Building a 1# sample roaster
Posted Fri Nov 21, 2003, 4:40pm

The 'hopper stopper' is really my 'stubby tamper' turned from a piece of aluminum and the gearshift knob off an abandoned road grader.  ;) It's short enought to hang off the PF holder at the bottom of the MM.

The back piece of my gizmo is the rear third of the original doser! It already had the screw holes and chute opening in the right spot. The SS funnel was handmade by some unknown machinist. I've had it for years and years. Ideally, it would be a tad larger diameter at the top. All-in-all it works great.

What I like about is is that I can grind/pull an Americano using a Specialty Coffee and then turn around and grind/pull a cappa for someone using an espresso blend. Sometimes I even blend on the fly by mixing beans in the tiny hopper on the MM.  

Sorry, folks, but I have no plans on making these puppies. Maybe Mazzer could make them?

Hey, thanks for posting that picture. I couldn't figure out the html.  The pointy end of my 'stick' I use for cleaning grounds out of the chute. Very handy since you already have it in your hand.

I'm not sure what size the tamper is, I turned it to fit my IM's PF basket.  Oh, I'm in Indiana.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
johannabanana
johannabanana

Posted Fri Nov 21, 2003, 4:42pm

elcabong Said:

I've been thinking of changing the burrs on my La San Marco 95 to Mazzer burrs, but I've also been considering selling the 95, so I don't know for sure.

Posted November 21, 2003 link

Are you sure that your LSM Grinder has no Mazzer burrs inside right now? I find 3 different sizes for LSM in my catalogue.
Selling the 95? You mean the machine? Because in your profile it says 85.....Don't sell your baby!

Slightly off this topic: you are not happy with the eSantos? I want to use some in my Bar, for the guests who want a brewed coffee - it should be a little entertaining element on the table (where I will have electrical plugs beneath) But it's still just a thought...

Joey

"Do everything right.
dalton
dalton

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Francis! X5,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Bodum 1 cup, many presspots
Roaster: Z&D
Posted Fri Nov 21, 2003, 7:53pm

elcabong Said:

Still, you found a nice tamper for that purpose. What size and where from Dan (if you don't mind)?

DanBollinger Said:

I'm not sure what size the tamper is, I turned it to fit my IM's PF basket.  Oh, I'm in Indiana.

A 58 mm tamper fits perfectly.  Mine is totally standard (see pic above).

Dalton

el_cabong
el_cabong
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Grinder: Mazzer Mini,  Rocky
Vac Pot: Hario Deco, Cory ACB-2
Drip: Capresso CoffeeTEC
Roaster: HWP, HG/CIB, SC/CO
Posted Fri Nov 21, 2003, 11:25pm

Joey-

Are you sure that your LSM Grinder has no Mazzer burrs inside right now? I find 3 different sizes for LSM in my catalogue.
Selling the 95? You mean the machine? Because in your profile it says 85.....Don't sell your baby!

The 95 is the grinder, and I am not really sure that it doesn't already have Mazzer burrs, they do look similar to the ones you pictured earlier. I really am considering selling both the grinder and the espresso machine. It's just too much machine to have in my kitchen. I had fun rebuilding it though (I'm a tinkerer by nature). I just bought an Isomac Tea and Mazzer Mini, and they both do for me what the LSM grinder and espresso machine did, but they are much smaller. The Tea puts off much less heat (the LSM heated the whole kitchen).

Slightly off this topic: you are not happy with the eSantos? I want to use some in my Bar, for the guests who want a brewed coffee - it should be a little entertaining element on the table (where I will have electrical plugs beneath) But it's still just a thought...

The problem I had with the eSantos is that it did not get the water hot enough to make good coffee. Not strong enough. Not hot enough. Too bad, because it is a cool gadget. I am a picky guy when it comes to my coffee (the more I hang around here, the picker I get). Perhaps most people would not notice or care about the temperature. Maybe you should start with just one to see how it works.

Dalton -  Thanks for the tip. It was actually your picture that made me realize that Dan's stopper was a tamper. I went home and took out an aluminum tamper that I had laying around and it not only fits, but looks nice too.

Now if I could talk Dan into doserless hot-rodding my Mazzer, I'd be good to go (just kidding Dan)

Joel
johannabanana
johannabanana

Posted Sat Nov 22, 2003, 7:43am

elcabong Said:

.....they are much smaller. The Tea puts off much less heat (the LSM heated the whole kitchen).

Posted November 22, 2003 link

Ahhh, that makes sense...may I ask, is it the LSM 85 with the single casing? Because mine is a single group with a double casing - I guess either the Italiens had no single one at the time they had to deliver it, or the Austrian guy wanted it bigger because there is more space for warming the cups now.
How old is your 85? Do you have a picture? For how much are you selling it? Allthough I don't need another single group - but I'm still curious... have you seen the new 105 yet? They sell it in pink with a lot of plastic. It looks like a Barbie-doll-machine. Here is a pic...yikes!  ;-)   they have it as a single group, too

and thanks for the eSantos reply, u are right, I will try one first. But as we have 220 V here, maybe it gets hotter?

Joey

johannabanana: LSM105pink.jpg
(Click for larger image)

"Do everything right.
mdreuben
mdreuben
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: La Spazialle VII, Electra...
Grinder: Mahlkonig K 30 ES
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Say No To Drip!  Use the Eva...
Roaster: Sonofresco, Gene Cafe,...
Posted Sat Nov 22, 2003, 2:49pm

Is the Mini-E (110 volt / 60hz) available anywhere for purchase?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
medegraa
medegraa

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Solis Maesto
Drip: Melitta Fast Brew
Roaster: I-Roast
Posted Sat Nov 22, 2003, 7:16pm

I think that Whole Latte Love sells the Mini-E.  I checked with them in August but they did not have any in stock.  I think it retails for about $600.

Mike.
el_cabong
el_cabong

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Grinder: Mazzer Mini,  Rocky
Vac Pot: Hario Deco, Cory ACB-2
Drip: Capresso CoffeeTEC
Roaster: HWP, HG/CIB, SC/CO
Posted Sun Nov 23, 2003, 12:31pm

johannabanana Said:

... is it the LSM 85 with the single casing?

It is the single case.

How old is your 85? Do you have a picture? For how much are you selling it?

According to the front plate it is a 1996 and the grinder is a 1995. The boiler is stamped 1995.

I haven't decided on a price yet. I paid $1225 for both the grinder and espresso machine. I put several hundred dollars into rebuilding it (including a new pump head), but I don't expect to get that money back out of it. Now that I rebuilt it, it is just like new operationally. I was going to have the side panels professionally powder coated (painted), but never got around to it, so it doesn't look as good on the outside as it works on the inside.

have you seen the new 105 yet? They sell it in pink with a lot of plastic. It looks like a Barbie-doll-machine. Here is a pic...yikes!  ;-)   they have it as a single group, too

That is perhaps the ugliest espresso machine I have ever seen! :o) However, maybe I have lost touch with fashion in my old age (38).

I think you may be right about the 220V European eSantos. Technically it could be more capable of making better coffee than the 110V ones the sell here. If you get one let us know how the 220V works.

Joel
malzkaffee

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia coffee
Grinder: Gaggia MDF, Rossi RR45
Vac Pot: neither...
Drip: ...nor
Roaster: I dont push it so far, yet
Posted Mon Dec 8, 2003, 6:02am

The picture of the Mini electronic on the Mazzer-homepage shows a grinder with a conical container in front. Is this just for catching what comes out of the chute, therefore "empty"? I dont quite understand the description and the picture.
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > How to make...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.295620918274)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+